the hunt.

we went on our hunt for Christmas tree 2012 today.  one of the biggest shockers
to me when matt & i got married is just how differently children can be raised.
[i'm quite sure the correct term there would be 'children can be reared.' i'm still
not going to use it.] from discipline to family lip kissing to who takes out the
trash to artificial versus live Christmas tree....there are just several different ways.
i'm not claiming that one of them is more correct than the other,
but the correct one won out for Christmas trees for our own family traditions.


we bundle up, trek out to our favorite local tree farm, search for the perfect
fresh fraser fir tree & chop it down.  now--it's become apparent to me that
i've inherited my dad's [awesome] affinity to pick really big trees.  i mean, last year's 
was BIG.  it was our goal to get almost as tall, but much skinnier this year.
when matt & the kids called me over to say they had found the perfect one,
i immediately agreed.  it looked small in the field of trees--definitely much
skinnier.  it should be perfect.


you guys?  the thing is gigantic.  GIGANTIC.  we're going to have to trim
some off of the top just to make it fit into the room & the thing is far from skinny.
we've decided that we'll remember this next year and measure the height and
width, but i have a feeling we'll probably still end up with too big.
yet, just like i remember from childhood, we laugh about it and deal with it
and secure it with bungee cords and string it with thousands of lights.

i'll give you a peek at it....soon.

::::::::::

christmas tree hunt
 

Comments

  1. We used to do the same thing growing up. And we would all get a chance to help, push and pull the saw, and cut it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that tradition : )
    We do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha, i was going to say that i could never be trusted to scout out a tree in the middle of a field...i am such a terrible approximator of size. good thing you didn't bring me along, or i guarantee your tree would be even bigger! :)

    i love fresh trees, but even more, i love rounding up the whole family to pick out the perfect one. i hope this tradition sticks with your kiddos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love it! I am so sad to miss chatting by your tree this year!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so sweet to see how your family has grown over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you had a wonderful time tree-hunting!

    I always feel like I'm missing something when it comes to live trees. I'm allergic, so we have to do a faux tree, but I love living vicariously through adventures like yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. For two of the Christmases that Hubby and I have shared together, he picked out trees so large that we had to clear the furniture out of the room, and just have a "tree room." THOSE are the Christmas trees that get remembered!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am the queen of big trees, too. They just seem so much small outdoors than in the house, and I have a huge house with a high ceiling. One year someone we know said we could cut down a pine tree that was too close to her house so she wanted to get rid of if. It was ENORMOUS and as we discovered, much heavier than the ones we'd cut down from the tree farm. We had to cut a lot off the bottom and some off the top.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts