Can Busy Moms Actually Have Time For The Bible?


I love when friends share great resources with me & so I'd love to share a couple with you today. 
I've been asked several times [on my instagram--where I usually am on social media these days] how I 
do Bible time, have devotions or write out books of the Bible, so I want to address that first.


My simple answer is that I just do it, but also that sometimes I don't. I tailor it to whatever particular 

season we are in and what works. Right now it is usually when the 7 big kids all go off to school and I just 
sit down with some coffee and do it. Sometimes the baby is on my lap and sometimes she is napping 
elsewhere. Sometimes the twins are joyfully playing together and sometimes they are coloring
each other's faces with Sharpie. I do find that leaving my study materials out on the kitchen table 
in the center of our home helps me come back to it many times throughout the day. God doesn't 
prescribe one specific way of how walking in step with him works. Do what works for you in 
each season!

Right now, I am using 2 main disciplines in my personal Bible time--journaling through my pastor's 
series in Acts and writing out a chapter of 1 & 2 Corinthians every day in February.



Bible journaling: Our church does expositional preaching--working verse by verse through a

book of the Bible. We recently started the book of Acts and will be working through it for 
about the next year. (Here is a link to my church's app if you'd like to join us. You can listen to the 
sermons from anywhere!) What works for me right now is to take notes on my phone's Bible app 
and then I transfer and add to those notes in my ESV journaling Bible as pictured here. I'm 
currently using the She Reads Truth app for my Bible and notes. I lost all my sermon notes 
there several months ago and was so sad about it, but I like it enough that I'm hopeful that 
I don't accidentally delete the app again and that they develop a way to save individual's 
notes soon! I know the actual journaling & drawing in the Bible is a new thing for some. As
a doodler, it is a way that I've always loved. I have been even more inspired with a Bible 
made specifically for that, as well as a movement of women sharing with #illustratedfaith
Seriously, check out that beautiful hashtag! I mean, I'm getting ready to break out paints 
on my Bible, y'all! 

Writing out the Word: This is something that a friend challenged me with and I love it. We simply 
write out a chapter of the Bible of the every day. We worked through Proverbs and are currently
working through 1 & 2 Corinthians for February. It has brought a new level of understanding and 
appreciation of the Word to write it out. Some days I'm behind and some days I long to sit all
day writing it out. The beauty is that God is never-changing and always present. There is grace
in the process and the goal is simply to know Him better through His word. We have a FB
group to encourage each other and share what we're learning if you'd like to join us. 

Listen, I know it's not easy. There will be times that it is easier than others, but friends,
we need this. We must know His word to live by it--for His glory and for our good! [If you 
download our church's app you will hear my pastor speak that truth often!]
I'm praying for each of you reading this that He would intensify your desire to walk
in step with Him and grow your hunger for His word. 

---------------------

Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that
you may be careful to do everything written in it. Joshua 1:8


the journaling bible link is an affiliate like, which means i'd make a small amount of money for each person that clicks through
and buys it. i'd never link you to something that i don't LOVE. also, it's backordered. this looks similar. :) 

Comments

  1. I find this to be how I'm getting my Bible time in too...leaving my books around and grabbing a moment whenever they are busy. I love my new journaling Bible! I gave up Netflix time during Lent and have found myself filling it with time in His Word! Hallelujah! Love that you shared this post. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts