ephphatha--open up.

tomorrow, our sweet, content, tiny one--Evie--will go for her
final hearing test before they will make a diagnosis of hearing loss.
in all of her previous tests, they weren't willing to say yet--they wanted to
give her more time.  they said they hoped her ear canals would grow
and open up. being her mom and being a nurse for many years prior,
i saw her reaction and their reactions to the testing.  
i knew what they weren't willing to say yet--
she had some hearing in her right ear and little to none in her left ear.
even from that first test in the NICU and all the ones that have followed,
i've felt peace.  not that i wouldn't grieve her not having hearing,
but i've just felt peace in exactly the way God formed her.
 
after her last test a month ago, we gathered all the kids and shared
with them the results.  they knew it was a possibility and we pray for
her, but we informed them that it looked like it might be a reality.
we told them that if that is the way He made her, then it would be fine.
we would figure it out and walk out that journey.
we wanted them to know though that we had the opportunity to 
pray in faith that God could heal her.  all 11 of us gathered 
around her on the couch and prayed.
 
slowly over the past month, we have all begun to notice evie turning
toward things and startling to loud noises.  i saw her still missing things
sometimes, but there has been a definite change.

this morning as matt & i settled into the back pew of the church with the twins,
i could hardly believe what passages of scripture we were on.
our pastor does expository scripture--verse by verse through a book
of the Bible.  we are working through Mark.
this morning we talked about why Jesus performed so many miracles
and if he still does today.  here is the miracle verses we were on:

And they brought to [Jesus] a man who was deaf and had a speech impediment, 
and they begged him to lay his hand on him.  And taking him aside from the crowd 
privately, he put his fingers into his ears, and after spitting touched his tongue.  And 
looking up to heaven, he sighed and said to him, "Ephphatha," that is, "Be opened." 
And his ears were opened...and he spoke plainly. And Jesus charged them to 
tell no one. But the more he charged them, the more zealously they proclaimed it.  
And they were astonished beyond measure, saying, 
"He has done all things well.  He even makes the deaf hear and the mute speak."
Mark 7:32-37

how awesome [and loving] is God that these verses were the ones that we
were on today?!  we believe that, although it isn't the everyday, normal way God works
today, sometimes He does still do miracles--for our good and His glory.
we do believe that sometimes He doesn't answer prayers for healing--
not because we don't have enough faith, but because that is His will
and can also be used for His glory.   
 
i don't know if He's fully healed our little Evie, but i do know these 2 things:
she is perfectly made and He can.
[thank you for joining us in prayer. her appointment is 9am CST.]


Comments

  1. i love this post. i love your faith. and i am getting my kids together today to pray for your sweet angel. i have learned what happens when the little children pray. big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will pray. No matter what, she's so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Bless. Our second born was thought deaf. I had no issue there were so many other issues in life. Turned out she was not but either way she was as He intended. Prayers for you tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  4. amen. beautiful testimony! praying with y'all. grateful to god for your faithfulness, to trust him. love you, friend xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely praying and believing that our GREAT God not only made your precious girl but believing that He can heal her. Praying to that end my friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we were living in Kenya last year, our 13 month old daughter was able to reach a pan of hot chicken grease on the counter in our kitchen and spilled it all over herself. She had burns on her head, face and shoulders. We were not near any medical facilities so we prayed. The next morning she had no signs of burns or blisters. Alayna just had some slight reddening on her cheeks.

    How great is our God who DOES heal and we will be in prayer for Evie and for God to get the glory in this no matter what the outcome! Romans 12:12

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful piece. God works in mysterious way, we will pray for your sweet baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right - God can heal her and He cares! What a beautiful testimony she has already. I will be praying for God's will tomorrow. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Sister, How gracious is Our Father. He IS good! Praying with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing! She is beautifully made! Perfect in every way. Our God loves her and will care for her no matter the outcome. May He be glorified in and through her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! Did you know that TODAY, I taught the sweet 2 year olds at my church that VERY same story! God is amazing and, being an ER nurse myself, I can assure you that miracles DO still happen! Either way, I think it is a clear sign that God is with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are studying Mark at our church, too, and today, our daughter (5) learned about that same story. Love seeing Him in the details. Praying for your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will be praying. I think that when we yield, to what will be/His will, great things happen. I want that for your little girl, but know that no matter what, she will have a wonderful life and amazing testimony. Thank you for sharing the reading-the-Bible-In-a-year link that your church offers. Both my husband and I are following along, and we especially enjoy the devotions that go along with the scripture. Your pastor is changing lives in Atlanta! Destiny

    ReplyDelete
  14. He is so faithful! Such a beautiful post. I will join you and your family in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will be praying for your lovely daughter and your family as a whole. If this is the path that God has chosen for you, please know that it can be such a blessing. I am a 19 year old college student with a conductive hearing loss. I am considered hard-of-hearing, but am able to function at a high level. While some may view this as a disability or "problem," I would not change it if I could. I feel so lucky and blessed to be connected to another community and culture. Sometimes we tend to see unexpected situations as things we must overcome, but in all reality we are just being given another opportunity to embrace the love that is shown. God is definitely with your sweet Evie and your family. Praying fervently, Lexi

    ReplyDelete
  16. How powerful, and I just love the peace you feel. You are a seasoned mama but I know no matter how many littles we have, we want the world for them. I will pray for you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Our Evie went through a series of tests because they suspected hearing loss! She was 2 and not talking much at all. When we did the obligatory hearing test, they found her ear drums did not vibrate properly, they were stiff. We ended up seeing a neuroenterologist and she was sedated for a test (ABR, I believe), to see if her brain was registering the sound. We were told that she most likely had a hearing problem. It turned out that she didn't, she just has stiffer ear drums than most but her brain did process sound. I too had so much peace during that time. It was such a blessing. Your Evie will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Paying for you and your perfect little sweetheart tonight. XO

    ReplyDelete
  19. Praying for and thinking of y'all this morning! Love you all and your hearts for joyfully living out God's will! Wish i could give all of you a BIG hug!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very quickly, wanted to let you know I have hearing loss in one ear and the hearing technology is AMAZING now!! I have an open fit hearing aid that bluetooths to my cell phone (and stereo). If I'm in a restaurant, it makes the voices in front of me louder than the ones behind. And... since I live in a house with kids, I asked them to bump down the Very Loud Sounds so I don't hear them as loudly. They also make them waterproof.

    Not your grandma's hearing aid, I tell people all the time. Remarkable what I can hear!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh.
    God is so good.
    Praying for a miracle for your perfect baby girl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts