on breastfeeding.
i've nursed each of our six girls now. i hoped to nurse clayton, but he wouldn't
have it at all. at 11 months, he was already drinking porridge out of a regular cup
at the orphanage. our smart boy quickly learned to do that because spilling
it might mean not getting more. i've pumped on 23 hour flights across the
ocean in order to be able to continue nursing bianca when i returned home
from uganda with her 'twin' brother.
i've had the honor of nursing teeny
tiny orphans there--one 6 weeks old & i don't know where he is now,
one was 8 weeks old & i recently watched him go home with his
forever family, one was a brand new baby boy. he was very sick.
friends put in an IV, a feeding tube & began the process they
too often had to do as nurses in uganda--do as much as they
could and pray the baby would live. i asked if i could stay
with him and breastfeed him through the night. he was starving.
tiny ribs poking through, shallow breaths, dry skin & mouth,
empty eyes. he didn't even have the natural instinct babies have to
suck. slowly as we cuddled under my mosquito net that night, he
got it. that night is precious to me--i'm only part of the team that God
used to save that baby's life, but i stand amazed at our bodies and what
He has created. i've seen recent pictures of him & he is a happy, smiling,
chubby baby now.
as emelia, evie & i are in our first weeks of this
beautiful nursing relationship, i'm in awe again. thankful to
to bond with them, comfort them & to nourish them all the day and night.
i'm not into drama or mommy wars in the least bit. i believe everyone does
the best they can with what they have & believe. i do wish that it weren't
such a hot topic of debate & even disgust sometimes. i do wish that women
who choose to breast feed weren't made to feel awkward or scandalious.
i do wish that everyone that has such issue with breastfeeding in public
had that much of an issue with the lack of modesty in many female's
everyday clothing. i do just wish to nourish our babies. peacefully.


Nice work, mama! I thought of you this morning as I tandem-nursed my 15month-old twin girls :) Love to you!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. xo
ReplyDeleteI love this post! I am impressed by not only your live-and-let-live attitude, but the fact that you've nursed six babies - and then some! How wonderful and what a great gift to be a part of saving those babies's lives!
ReplyDeleteI have only nursed one baby - my daughter, Ava - for 27 months, but hope to have another someday to nurse as well.
Happy world breastfeeding month!
I have chills. Your breastfeeding journey has many more chapters than so many women, yet it's so full of grace and understanding that each journey is different. I can't wait to watch this one unfold. What a gorgeous shot of the twins.
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful. I love this and what a gorgeous picture.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful, Love! You, them, this post.
ReplyDeleteCheers Lovelyn! Well said.
ReplyDeleteI breastfed my 3 boys for a total of almost 5 years and then induced lactation, hoped to adoptive breastfeed, but ended up pumping to feed breastmilk to my adopted daughter for the first six months we were together.
I love your stories of breastfeeding other babies in Uganda! I pumped through our whole adoption process - almost 3 months in Uganda - and while it was crazy hard (and I got a lot of crazy looks while pumping at restaurants under a breastfeeding cover when the power was out every where else!) I think being able to give my daughter who has a severe dairy allergy my milk made a HUGE difference.
It's not easy, but it's so sweet.
Love this! I feel the exact same way and think that being able to nourish any baby, one born to you or another who needs food, is such an incredible gift. Our bodies are amazing and such a testament to God's attention to details!
ReplyDeleteIm not a mama yet but I believe breast feeding is one of the most beautiful gifts from God. I'm on complete agreeance with you about women breast feeding && the ridiculous lack of clothes people wear these days... Breast feeding is natural, having all your treasures hang out is not! Anyways... You're a beautiful person! I admire your precious family :) XO
ReplyDeleteBEAUTIFUL, i love every word you just wrote
ReplyDeleteBeautiful.
ReplyDeleteSo, so, so good! You always continue to amazing me! I'm still nursing Finley and I've wanted to post about it, but I do feel...awkward. Much more so with people I know in real life than with any blog readers.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!!
ReplyDeleteSimply beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThis beautiful picture reminds me of my sister who also had twin girls but eleven years ago. I watched her feed them without ever complaining, always putting them before herself. I also watched her lose her weight so quickly as the girls literally drained her each day!!! Such fond memories. So glad that you are embracing every moment and gift with them. Blessings to you!!
ReplyDeleteNaomi
Oh my goodness. Love. When Joy and I traveled to Uganda in 2010, she was still nursing her fourth baby. To this day we still laugh about her getting stopped and questioned by airport security in Entebbe. Joy actually had to take the pump out of her bag and show the guard how to use it before he'd let us pass. Oh, the things we do for our babies... :)
ReplyDeleteOh my. You KNOW I am cheering. I believe this was one of the first conversations we had. I miss nursing more than words…. the quiet preciousness of it. Such a great design!
ReplyDeleteSo so wonderful!! Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! May these early days of loving your little ladies be sweet!
ReplyDeleteI stand in awe of how God is using you to help others. You are so beautiful, inside and out. I love that photo!
ReplyDeleteAimee S.
Beautiful.....These sweet girls are forever blessed having such a glorious and tender start:) XO
ReplyDeleteSo.Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThis post made me cry! So true and so beautiful! God bless you! I know it's not for everyone but I nursed all 3 boys and still doing it will 17 month old Ryley. I love that special bond and those sleepy milk faces! The are beautiful, and YOU are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteLOVE this :: I miss those days of feeding the twins, it is so amazing. You rock by the way. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm a friend of Jenny Groothuis and found your blog through her. This post and the photo are absolutely beautiful. Makes me miss having a little one to nurse. I weaned my toddler last month :-(. Congratulations on your new additions.
ReplyDeleteOhhhhhhhu. Oh goodness. This made me cry! It IS an incredible and AMAZING part of God's design. To nurse teeny sick babies who are slowly losing hope and to nurse healthy babies eager for mama milk .... It's all just such a miracle.
ReplyDeleteI hope you'll write about nursing the babies as often as you are comfortable with doing so. I'm suddenly verrrry interested in nursing twins! ;)
Gorgeous!!
ReplyDeleteSteph
beautiful!
ReplyDeleteJust beautiful!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful, it gave me chills.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful, it gave me chills.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing! This is beautiful, and so inspiring!
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful! I love how you can be so supportive and encouraging and still leave room for everyone. Breastfeeding is one of the things I miss most about having tiny babes. So happy for you in this next amazing part of the journey.
ReplyDeleteYour story is stunning and that picture is absolute love and grace and glory. Thank you so much for sharing, Love! <3
ReplyDeleteYou are A M A Z I N G !! I've breast fed all of our children and would have it no other way !
ReplyDeleteStunning indeed. Your words and that picture. Thank you Love, thank you.
ReplyDeleteLovelyn,
ReplyDeleteI am so proud to know you! You are such a wonderful person, and I am truly inspired every time I read your posts. I am still breast feeding Kenyon, and I enjoy every moment of the time we get to spend together bonding. It is such a miraculous gift God has given us. This picture of you is beautiful. It says it all!
Love this post and love your picture! Thank you for sharing! I nursed my little girl for a year and I hope to be able to do the same with our next baby.
ReplyDeletelove, love, LOVE!!!!!
ReplyDeletewhat a beautiful post.
maybe one of my favorites.
i loved breastfeeding too.
and my heart aches that i'll probably never get to do it again. :(
my skin got goosebumps when i read the part of you nursing that little sick baby!
that is amazing... and so awesome you got to experience it!!!
thanks for sharing...
and love the pic of you nursing the twinsies!!!
oh, be still my heart!!
you're so blessed! xo
Beautiful Lovelyn, I read every post you write, and somehow this is the one that makes me show up and say, yes, yes, yes. Thank you for this loveliness, for your heart, and the good redemptive work of living you are doing. Bless those two babies.
ReplyDeleteHappy nursing life
ReplyDeleteMay God sustaun your nursing experience for many moons.