[maybe] time will tell.
many people have asked if the girls are identical or fraternal.
the short answer is that we still don't know.
there is a longer technical answer that i could explain to you,
but it's almost time to go feed our little pumpkins again.
there is a 30% chance they are identical.
if they start looking quite different, we'll know they are fraternal.
if not, the only way we would know for sure is a blood test.
we probably won't do that.
here, in the quiet dark of our midnight feeding?
i can tell them apart, but they look much alike, too.
maybe time will tell & maybe not, but i do know they
are perfectly, wonderfully, preciously made!

My sisters are 41 years old and no one knows if they are identical or fraternal. I don't think they are identical, but everyone outside of our close family thinks they are. Even aunts and uncles can't tell them apart. I wonder how it will be for your girls?
ReplyDeleteIf you don't mind me asking, why are the littles still in the hospital? Is it because of their size? I'll be praying for a quick return home as I know that's where your heart aches to be...with ALL 11 of your "littles"
ReplyDeleteOh how adorable! I was wondering if you think either evie or emmie, look like any of your other girls when they were born. :)
ReplyDeleteHope the rest of your beautiful family at home are doing well!
~Michlyn
www.smalltowngirl-michlyn.blogspot.com
It drove me crazy when I was asked a bazillion times, my girls ended up having to have some genetic screening done and they let us know that they are identical, I wouldn't of paid to find out it was way too expensive. Your girls are precious:)
ReplyDeleteOur Ethiopian twins are fraternal but people actually tell me all. the. time. that they are identical. Umm, ok. You can think that. I know they're fraternal. :-)
ReplyDeleteWhy, if you don't mind me asking, would you not want to know if they are identical or not?
ReplyDeleteI'm surprised they didn't tell you straight from the ultrasounds - if they had their own placentas and sacs they are fraternal; one placenta, one sac/separating membrane - identical. My sisters are identical but they did NOT have a separating membrane (very, very rare and very, very dangerous). Did your other babies look alike as newborns? To me I'd guess identical from the photos; otherwise they'd look more like siblings that just happened to be born at the same time and not a single egg/spirm that split, with the exact same dna. :) Darling.
ReplyDeleteidenticals can have 2 sacs and 2 placentas. depends on when the embryos split. mine were in separate sacs and either shared a placenta or 2 had fused.
Deletethe 30% chance of being identical refers to identical twins that split so early that they each have their own sac & placenta--like our girls did. so, we can't just know from the ultrasound. yes, our other girls all really resemble each other as newborns!
Deletewhatever they are- they are precious! My girls are identical and I've always been kinda thankful that they shared a placenta, because then we knew for sure :)
ReplyDeletei didn't know much about twins until i had them. and i didn't find out they were identical until last year, at 9, when a twin study did a DNA test. i wouldn't have done it otherwise. they were 2 lbs apart at birth and looked different because of their size, but also looked enough alike to make me think they were identical. they were in 2 sacs and either shared a placenta or their separate placentas had fused. either way, I'm so happy you're all home!!
ReplyDeleteI just love them! I love your whole crew :) God is so good, so so good!
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling well mama!
i love the way they touch each other
ReplyDeleteAll you have to do is a cheek swab and send it off! :)
ReplyDeleteAll you have to do is a cheek swab and send it off! :)
ReplyDeleteSo precious! Stephanie (Metropolitan Mama) just sent me your way. I have twin girls and I shared a due date with Stephanie, but then we found out we were having twins and mine were born 3 weeks early.
ReplyDeleteSo they are 5 months old next week and since we didn't find out until the 19 week ultrasound we don't know if ours are identical or not either! We can tell them apart, but most other people can't so I guess time will tell!
Congratulations!!!
I gave identical twin daughters who just turned 4. Our Dr could not tell us if they were identical or fraternal. We ordered our own DNA test and swabbed their cheeks (no pokes). Turns out they are identical with completely opposite personalities.
ReplyDelete