introducing....

oh, friends!  today is a day of rejoicing & praise.
sweet Esther has officially met & been matched with her forever family!
i can hardly stop smiling.
this precious, little treasure that has waited for so long [i met her in 2009 when
we adopted clayton] and been through so much is currently with her family.
they are working with the officials, systems and paperwork in-country to
try to get their little girl home as quickly as possible.  not only does she need
proper medical care, but there will soon be a closing of courts for summer break,
so please join us in prayer that everything can be taken care of before then & she can be HOME.

i'm so, so grateful for the honor of introducing Esther's family.
please continue to join me in prayer for them, leave them a note of encouragement here,
&/or spread their journey so others can do the same.
it's no secret that adoption is expensive--add in the speed of this adoption & 
some additional costs to get Esther proper care & accommodations in their home for her
special needs & this is going to be a group effort fund-raising.
there will be more 'formal' fund-raising in the works, but for today
would you like to join me in congratulating them & give them a 
'happy matching day' gift?

you can do a tax free donation of any amount to their FIG fund.
THANK YOU.


please meet, Esther's [awesome!] family & read below from the mom:

 We are the Groothuis family, just your typical family of 16, with half of our children adopted
from Africa! We are a dancing, silly, somewhat loud, Jesus-loving family. We homeschool, live
in Iowa, and love to celebrate the goodness of God and His great love to us! We had 5 sons and
then adopted 5 daughters in 2005 from Liberia West, Africa. One of our girls died the day before
we flew home from Liberia and the others were quite sick. In 2008 we adopted 3 more
Liberian children, this time from a disruption. Some of these children had very intense medical
needs, had life-threatening complications and surgeries. We have seen miracles and the children
are thriving today. A child that couldn’t talk for years now verbal! A child with a very damaged liver.....
an anti-viral that has stopped the damage. A child that couldn’t swallow or eat for years....
now having oral intake! Broken hearts mended, diseases healed......it goes on!

So here’s what led up to Esther. Last December we updated our homestudy, thinking we would
 do an easy special need like HIV. Well then we were contacted by a girl who used to live with us when she ran away
and came to Iowa from a residential treatment center in South Chicago. She
found out she was pregnant and HIV positive and needed help. I know a fabulous
QUEEN OF HIV adoptions (Carolyn Twietmeyer of Project Hopeful) in Chicago who
took her under her wing and helped her out......and told me about a little girl named
Esther in Uganda who really needed a family and introduced me to an adoptive
mama who had been advocating for Esther for a long time, her name was Love.

Now a couple years ago one of our biological sons started having tonic-clonic seizures out of
no where. Perfectly healthy kid and at age 7...seizures became a huge part of our life. For 2
years much of his life revolved around seizures...and then God healed him. He has been seizure
free and medication free for a year and a half. Not so much as a headache. Hallelujah!
So I have this drawer full of rescue medication to stop status seizures and I wondered what I
was going to do with all that?! When I heard about Esther and her seizures I thought, “Hey, we
know seizures!” and she was non-verbal and I thought, “We’ve done non-verbal!” and I heard a
few other possible labels kicked around and I thought, “We know hypothetical labels!” and then
I saw the photos and a video link that some amazing mamas had made to advocate for her and I
 knew. This is our daughter!

I had a dream that she was in a crib banging her head (either from a seizure or from self-soothing)
I and went in and she stood up in the crib and reached her arms out to me and I picked her up.
When we told our other children about Esther they were quite concerned she didn’t have
hair. Hair braiding and weaving is one of our main crafts/hobbies and because
one of our daughters always stayed on the pediatric oncology ward at our children’s
hospital when she was there, they were concerned Esther must have cancer! We assured
 them they just shaved their heads at the orphanage, but soon she too would be introduced
to the wonders of beads, braids, and all things fabulous for her hair!

Now that we’ve met Esther and held Esther and prayed over Esther we are even
more in love than ever. She is a delight, a treasure, and we thank God over and
over we get to be her parents! Thank you, thank you, thank you
to those who never gave up praying for her, advocating for her, being her voice,
and being a channel of God’s grace to our family!!! We are all in awe and wonder at
how the Author and Finisher of our faith can write such a page-turner! His love and
favor are all over little Miss Esther and the next chapters of her life will be full of divine
reversals and new victories! How great is our GOD!

Comments

  1. This is just beautiful I have tears of joy that this child has finally found a family who sees her the way the King of Kings does! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful family. I love them, love them!!!!!! I want to be her friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise Jesus.{and i agree with Shauna!!}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am humbled by their journey and love. I am so very selfish even as a mama to two perfect girls. *God, room to grow?* sheesh. Thanks for the inspiration and the wake up call to real need. God bless you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tears!!! So excited that it is finally Esther's turn!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wondering if they have a blog? So excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no...but, she is hoping to start one soon! =)

      Delete
  7. Wow!!!!! Humbling and beautiful!!! God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so mad about the first situation that happened with Esther. I am THRILLED that this family has met her and will be bringing her home! Thank you Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chills. And tears. So thankful for their obedience and for God's unfailing love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what an amazing story! Thanks for sharing and for advocating for Esther. We're praying for a quick court date and for their family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy for Esther and her new family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where do people like this come from? I just cannnot even believe what wonders Jesus does in the hearts of people like this. I have been praying daily Gor this miracle and my heart is so so filled with joy and my eyes filled with tears. To god be the glory! Thankyou from the bottom of my heart for caring for the orphans for fighting for them for loving the motherless. I want to follow your journey and say god bless you from the bottom of my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I'm so so happy to know this! I've been so touched by reading about sweet Esther and praying for her. I'm so happy for her to have this wonderful family and all those beautiful brothers and sisters!! Congratulations Groothuis family on the addition of the most perfect new daughter and sister! May God shower you with HIS grace and protection. XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. I couldn't think of a more perfect family for this sweet special miracle child. I am overjoyed at God's goodness to "set the solitary into families." Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy to hear this news! We serve such an amazing God!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely blown away. Love, thank you for persevering through this and for working to find this amazing family. I pray that the Lord would pour so many tangible blessings upon BOTH of your families for your obedience in this. Y'all are awesome. And God is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't know why blows me away each time I hear stories like this, but so glad he does. So happy for Esther, and your family that God is bringing you together. Prayers coming your way...God speed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is amazing! I am so happy! :) PRAISE GOD! His WILL AND TIMING IS PERFECT! AND WAY TO REPRESENT IOWANS!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am commenting although I have no words. This just seems so beyond anything that I can comprehend. I am so happy for this family and for Esther. These are some blessed people. Thank you sharing Love

    ReplyDelete
  20. ah, i've been wondering! but wow, this surpasses what i could have imagined! i love her last paragraph... how great is our God? so great to orchestrate the smallest and biggest details, from her story above this is clearly Esther's family. so thankful that she has a home and is loved by so many. i love seeing redemption like this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am thrilled for Esther and her new family!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was just wearing my "Esther" necklace yesterday and I caught glimpse of it it and the heartache of what occurred last Dec. made my heart ache once again and I whispered "Dear Jesus-save her!!!". Just yesterday! I had no idea all this was unfolding and as I begin my day-I rejoice in the sacrifice, experience, love and calling her Forever Family has for her! YES.....TO GOD BE THE GLORY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My favorite line was "an easy special need like HIV" so so lovely! May more of us have this kind of heart!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Incredible! I am so happy for Esther and so blessed to read this story of such a wonderful family. How great is our God indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What Joy! So thankful for obedient hearts and our Lord's amazing plan.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Praise God! Rejoicing with you and just look at your beautiful family! She was made for you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was lucky enough to spend time with Esther last November, a wonderful little girl who needed a wonderful family and I can see that is what she has now. It is finally her turn, to no longer be the biggest at Sanyu, to have her own special family. I hope to see occasional updates on a special little girl who touched so many hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  28. When this is 100%, let me know:) I have information and pictures of Esther from when she was very young....................sent them last time and heart was broken when she ended up not getting a family.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Groothuis, your family is beautiful. Your love for LIFE is inspiring. God Bless you on this incredibly fulfilling journey.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank You Jesus! Blessings to you and your family! Janet

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts