it's just me.
i am an introvert.
i think we get a bad rap sometimes.
maybe just because we're so misunderstood. i guess extroversion is
easier to understand...and easier to hear. i kind of think that the whole
blogging and social media thing messes with people's perceptions though because
it's hard to believe that someone that would post many things about their life on a public
space would be introverted. maybe that's where the root of typing out this post lies.
it is hard to be an introvert & type things where people have the potential to read it.
i mean, i share my heart & then i pass people in the halls of church knowing
[virtually] nothing about their heart. and maybe i think they still don't know anything
about mine, but then someone says that such-and-such said this about what i said
on my blaaaawg and i answer the question they asked, yet i'm thinking in my head, too...
they read my blog?!
so, then i wonder if maybe they think i'm rude, but really
it's that i'm just shy and exhausted from talking to people.
not because that particular person is necessarily exhausting,
but just because it's how i'm made.
i re-charge when alone. i am depleted with interaction.
and here's the thing....i can be fine with it when i'm in social situations,
but then? i need tiiiiiiime.
[this is why God made me a night owl. my time to re-charge.]
my friend, megan, linked to a wonderfully true article called
which i love, love, love.
i know some of it is satirical, but seriously--if you are an introvert
or love one--you should definitely read it.
are you an introvert or extrovert?
i'm so thankful for both, by the way.
i love how we're all made up differently.
even more technically, i'm an ISFP.
[which you can do here if you want to!]
and now? my re-charging after people time is up.
goodnight, friends.

i have always been baffled by the introverts in my life-i was so unlike them...until a few years ago. BOOM. i am almost 90% introvert. i get it now;)
ReplyDeleteyou are a champ! xo g'night!
Ive always been so interested in people...in how God created each one of us differently. While I dont consider myself an introvert Im still shy in new situations until I warm up to those and the situation(s) around me.
ReplyDeleteI love the honesty in your post. AND your MJ tunic! Thats on my wishlist:)
Have a wonderful day
XO,
Sarah
Oh, I hope you know that I completely and totally understand every single word--and every single feeling & sentiment behind every word--in this post! Being an introvert is tough sometimes, people think I'm a snob sometimes and that breaks my heart. I just only have so much "social energy" and I have to carefully choose how I spend it.
ReplyDeleteI completely feel the same way! I am in introvert as well and every time I hit the post button on my blog it makes me anxious. It is very hard to share your heart with the world. I'm thankful that you share your with us:)
ReplyDeleteI am certainly an introvert {ISTJ}. I do enjoy people, but I struggle with creating close relationships & meeting new people. I hate crowd-like situations. My fiance', however, is definitely an extrovert! Of to read the 'Caring for Your Introvert' now. :)
ReplyDeleteI adore you just the way you are. When I read the post title "it's just me" my immediate thought/response was (before even reading the post) and I adore you :) Don't ever change Love. God made you special. I also figure with a full house, you NEED some alone time.
ReplyDeleteI am a introvert too I think that is why I love blogging to much LOL!
ReplyDeletei'm such the extrovert...but my introverted friends like to hang with me cause they say i do ALL the talking and that way THEY DON'T HAVE TO!! :) great post, kj
ReplyDeleteMy mom is DEFINITELY an introvert. But only when we're out and about...at home we are totally crazy together. I love her just the way she is. And I'm happy I get to see both sides :)
ReplyDeleteMy dad on the other hand is a mega extrovert!!
And I think I'm a mix. I'm not sure what I'm most of....
P.S. Did you know that the name Lovelyn is #1 on my list of names for my girls!? And I totally wouldn't know about the name if it werent for your blog. My dad wrote me a sweet note on valentines, and said something that solidified the decision to name one of my girls that:) And I pray she has as much LOVE for the orphans as the girl I read about on this blog;)
Love your blog, Love!
I'm an introvert and a pastor's wife:):):)...much down time is needed most weeks (which I am just working on) because of all the socializing involved in my role:). Which I am so thankful for, but like you I need some good time to regroup and recharge.
ReplyDeletePraying for your boys!♥
I read an awesome book called The Introvert Advantage. It totally changed my mind about what introverts (like me) bring to the world.
ReplyDeleteThe only reason I would be surprised you are an introvert is because you have so many kids. I feel like the hardest part of being a mom is ALL the extroverted time. I need a lot of time to recharge every day!
I am also an introvert who needs to recharge after too much social interaction. I can identify with your post completely. I will have to share this with my husband as he is the polar opposite of me socially and gets confused with me at times when I need to leave a social setting earlier then he would like because I am exhausted from it.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for this! I'm an introvert (ISFJ)....I always thought that I was just weird for enjoying time alone...now I'm starting to understand that I NEED time alone...it's the way I was made!
ReplyDelete"i re-charge when alone. i am depleted with interaction." Wow that's it exactly! Thank you for putting to words what I have not been able to. I'm an INFP myself. I too love blogging and find it sometimes uncomfortable to have some random person come up to me talking about something personal I posted, like we are close friends and I shared it to them over coffee. Anyway, thank you again for this post. :)
ReplyDeleteIntrovert too
ReplyDeleteISFJ
Love,
ReplyDeleteI'm the same way.
Pretty much an introvert.
Although I share really personal things on my blog (or I did- I haven't been blogging much lately).
Thanks for sharing this about you! Who knows if we'll ever meet in person, until we're UP THERE :) but I wouldn't know this unless you said it! I'm so glad for both introverts and extroverts too. I would say I'm an extrovert in most cases!
ReplyDeleteI'm a Big I introvert! INFJ here. And my oldest is the biggest extrovert. That alone makes me tired! Perfect evening out is: me by myself at a resturant with a book/knitting and a glass of wine and dessert. Perfect evening out for my friends: dancing or a huge get-together. I go out with them about twice a year!
ReplyDeletei did that keirsey diagnostic several years back at a missions orientation, but i can't recall the results...i'll have to figure out where i stashed them.
ReplyDeletelike you, i'm glad for both introverts and extroverts. i just wish a few of the extros wouldn't feel the ongoing need to convert me to 'normalcy.' :)
Love, this is sweet! Thanks for sharing. I would not have known you are an Introvert.
ReplyDeleteMy own husband is one. And I am very much an Extrovert.
The piece you liked is brilliant. My husband felt so understood reading it!! :)
I am a life long ISFJ! I've been a super huge capital I for most of my life and nowadays I manage to pretend to be an E Monday through Friday but by the weekend I am totally beat. Don't you dare invite me to a party Saturday night! ;) Well I'm not quite that bad but I do think the formula of that article's author was right on for me - about two hours of solitude for every one hour of social time. For me the exception is my boyfriend. I don't mind him being around during my alone time :)
ReplyDeleteI think I have my moments of each, though generally I'm an extrovert in the sense that I like being around people. But I'm married to an introvert and he finally explained it to me the other day. He's been socializing a ton while deployed and he says it just tires him out, that being social is exhausting to him. I had never heard it explained that way!
ReplyDeleteHave you been reading my thoughts lately?! So confirming for me that I'm not crazy--and that it is ok for me to stay up late to recharge!
ReplyDeletelove this post! i'm an introvert...but didn't realize it til just recently. i always just felt "wierd"...now i know it's just ME! i HAVE to have some time every afternoon ALONG and QUIET. otherwise i'm a MESS by 6 pm...NOT good for anyone! :-)
ReplyDeleteI know exactly what your saying, and I am glad that you wrote this because I know it will encourage other introverts. I on the other hand would say I'm an extrovert, as a kid I always had to be around someone else and I can see that in Elizabeth too. On the other hand Jacob seems to be more introverted and quiet when he is around groups of children. I love seeing the differences between both of them and pray that I can be an encouragement and support always to their personalities.
ReplyDeleteLove this! And I am now forcing my (extroverted) husband to read the article.
ReplyDeleteI just read a book about this too - one interesting part noted that really, it's this time in history and this particular area of the world that regards extroversion as such a positive personality trait. Only a few decades ago, introverts were considered the more preferable temperment - humility and a less boistrous way of being were much more highly valued.
everyone assumes i'm an extrovert cause i can be talkative...but it's only with my close friends & family...I really am an introvert...i need time, just like you. Ihave friends who go,go,go non-stop and invite me to so many things, and i always feel bad that I have to say no - a lot! But I know my limitatins given to me by God, and I live by them...and am so much more content that way! I am not like others, and that's ok!
ReplyDeleteThis is always a hot topic. I am glad when people start the conversation. I am still learning how to care for the introverts in my life. I hope I don't drive them nuts. It helps to be aware. :)
ReplyDeleteI think I am some of both...is that even possible??? It depends on the day, the situation, the people I'm surrounded by. And I'm a night owl, too. My time for peace & quiet and reflection. The best time of day for me to get something done when the house is quiet and I can THINK! (If I don't fall asleep first, that is!) I love the introvert you are...and everything you share with us. Makes me smile and does my heart good to read your words. I HEART YOU!
ReplyDeletei totally agree with megan. i have a hard time understanding introverts. emma is an introvert to a point, and i don't always know what to do with her. there was a time when i was embarrassed to go to library reading group and have her be the only kid not running around and playing with the other kids. but once i learned that's who she is, the easier it got.
ReplyDeleteso all of that to say, i love introverts. i do my best to embrace emma's introversion.
Fellow introvert here. It's nice to see other introverts blogging out loud. Great post too.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with this: "it is hard to be an introvert & type things where people have the potential to read it." I keep trying to do this myself, and my blog keeps morphing and moving... like a firefly in the forest at dusk. I think it's probably frustrating for my one reader ;)
I am a total extrovert! But I need my time to recharge...alone!!!!
ReplyDelete:)
paige
INFJ here. :)
ReplyDeleteAfter reading an article in Psychology today, I realized I am a "bubbly extrovert". I appear at ease talking to people and being in social situations, but it DRAINS me!
I totally feel you when you say you need time to recharge.
Your blog is so beautiful; not to mention your family! I just stumbled upon you today and love what I've read...my husband and I married have a 14 month old son and are ust beginning the process of adoption - I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading other people's stories and experiences especially in the way of expanding their family and living intentionally! So happy to have found you.
ReplyDeleteWhenever I take extrovert/introvert surveys, I always come up with about a 50/50 score (which I've heard is pretty rare). I love being around people and am naturally outgoing, but I also like quiet and time for reflection. I guess I'm still figuring myself out. ;)
ReplyDeletestephanie@metropolitanmama.net