becoming.

the little ones & i often prep dinner after we take the bigger ones to school. other times,
we don't.  sometimes it gets done later in the day & sometimes we have leftovers
or [gasp] cereal.  but, i was thinking today, as we prepared the meal, about how often
i downplay things about myself.  don't get me wrong, i don't think i'm some great thing
and i always want humility.  i think the thing about it was that i see all kinds of women doing it
in general.  not giving themselves enough credit.  downplaying their talents & gifts.  refusing
to accept a compliment.  why do we do this to ourselves? 

i remember months ago, when the girl doing my hair at the salon,
[many, many months ago AND the last time i was there]
asked me what we were having for dinner.  i told her whatever had been planned and she said,
oh, my goodness.  you COOK.  i don't know how you do that.  so, you're a cook?!
 i was all embarrassed.  i assured her that i'm not a cook; that i just make things for 
my family for dinner.  HELLO.  that's a cook, right?  i buy fresh ingredients and chop and peel
and slice and stir and saute and roast.  i cook.  i am a cook.

recently, someone was talking to me about this blog & i distinctly
remember saying, well i write, but i'm not a writer.  and i do believe this.  i'm not a writer.
yet, when do you become something?  are they writers because they are getting paid & i am
not because i don't?  do you become a writer when your words touch someone? 
but, i wonder how many writers are hidden away behind pretty journal covers or
even scratched on the back of an old receipt.

oh, how i've missed my camera these past few weeks, but i'm not a photographer.  i never
want to be.  i just want to enjoy taking photos of things that i love.  things that talk to me.
things that move me.  so, i take photos.  and when someone asks me about my camera,
why am i quick to think that it probably is the camera doing all the work and not them
seeing life through my eyes? 

i guess the thing is that i don't want to be a cook....a writer....a photographer.
i just want to be able to see the good in myself just as much as i see the bad.
[i want that for you, too.]


Comments

  1. and i think you should all tell me what you're good at! come on. just say it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I am good at cooking, not a cook by any stretch but my family and I enjoy the fruits of my labor in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this.
    i think what i fall into is just assuming that everyone can do what i can do so that it's either a) not special or out of the ordinary or b) just common knowledge.
    but can i just say that i am a baker. i wish i were joy the baker. :) but instead i am vanessa the baker. :)
    and i've been known to take some lovely pictures. so i guess that makes me a photographer.
    oh and i read really fast.
    i'm a reader. :)
    and i think you're lovely.
    thanks for this reminder to think about what we do and do well and to recognize those things in our lives as talents and gifts that perhaps not everyone else has.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrestle with this very same thing. At what point does what I love to do become part of my identity? I'm just me...but I know I'm good at photography, writing when the inspiration hits, and I'm a mean baker :) But I also give great hugs (I've been told, since it's not something I can experience myself), have a smile that encourages, and love with all I've got.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Love! I LOVE this post, its so true! By the way, I think you are a writer and a photographer because you are talented at both! :) I am crafty -like scrapbooking, card-making, teachery type stuff! :) And I am a good baker and reader! Oh and I am a really good facebooker! :) Oh and shopper, I am a great shopper! :) Liz Y

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really good at just making up recipes and cooking on the fly. It's probably because I am lazy about meal planning and grocery shopping, but still, it's cool that I can cook without cookbooks. We eat at home almost every night and I don't remember a single time in our almost 11 year marriage that we didn't like whatever I'd made and ordered pizza instead. :)

    I'm also good about keeping the house stocked with stuff. I remember when I was a kid we were constantly running out of toilet paper or cling wrap or whatever. We were poor and my parents both worked full time so I understand that it's way easier for me now, but still, I'm kind of amazed sometimes that when Jason says he used the last q-tip, I can get a spare pack from the closet.

    And I'm pretty good at math. Not like advanced calculus or anything, but I can figure percentages in my head and build spreadsheets with complicated equations. I really like being good at math. And I really like being good at spelling, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am seriously liking this post today...I often think this way too! Yet your right, I am constantly pointing out my weaknesses. I too enjoy cooking a fresh meal from fresh ingredients, but I would also say I am good at lifting people up. I love to encourage and pray with people! I love to be a shoulder to cry on and a trustworthy friend to lean on. And I think when you combine that with good food it makes for a pretty good time lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow.
    thank you for this.
    thank you for stating this.
    we need to accept the good things about us.
    there are good things : )
    like cooking and writing and loving.
    and it is ok!
    more than ok.

    why did you stop going to the hair salon?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm good at procrastinating...does that count ;) just kidding :) (sort of) hmmm....shopping for good deals to dress my kids cute. that is my secret hidden talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, you are most certianly a writer, I purposely come to your blog daily to be inspired and you bless me daily with your gift.
    I am good at being a momma, that I know for sure. Loving my kids is the only thing thats easy. I could care less about those dishes piling up (even though I have to strike a balance there since i know they bother my husband) but when my girls want to play or to be held, everything else can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a writer. I have always loved words and languages and writing. Whether I get paid or hold a position with this given title means nothing to me.

    I majored in English, because I love words (and all that nerdy grammar stuff too). I think I'm still discovering to what extent writing will be part of my life and it's exciting.

    I'm also an artist, even though I haven't painted in months (a bit preoccupied), but I see the world through an artist's eyes and I love creating. It's how I connect to God.

    I love your writing and this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love this! First off your food looks yummy! I think I am good at a couple things that I always brush off when someone compliments me. The Lord blessed me and my husband to be able to teach the children at our church (we don't get paid nor do we want to get paid for doing it either ). I have lots of people come up to me telling how much they appreciate what I do for the children and I always say 'its nothing just something the Lord laid upom my heart to do last summer'. After I have said that I always think 'man I should have said thank you or something'. Second I make incredibly beautiful clay and rhinestone jewelry! Most times I get down because I don't have a bajillion sales but in reality I think God only wants me to be able to handle what I can handle, ha ha. I mean really I should give all the glory to Him anyways because He gae me the love for teaching children and making jewelry!
    Love ya 'Love'
    ~Molly P

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, how i so related to this post today. thank you for this...
    also, your photos would make even someone who hates veggies want to eat them. they look scrumptious!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. First, that looks delicious, and as a woman suddenly cooking for one you've given me the motivation to finish making the french onion soup for tonight.

    Which leads me to: I'm a great cook. I downplay it all the time, say it wasn't anything. But since I usually have a messy kitchen because of it, and numerous people have earnestly asked why I'm not in culinary school (um, because I actually want to enjoy cooking?), I'd say I'm pretty darn good.

    But I say it was easy, nothing, because it was. Because I try and make things with love, try to infuse my care for someone in something I cook or bake. So it's everything and nothing all at once. Effortless because I would go to any end to provide sustenance for those I treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was a great post. :)

    I think I'm good at throwing parties. They stress me out and usually don't come out the way I want them to, but I think everyone always has fun.

    I definitely make sure to tell people I'm NOT a photographer because I don't want them to ask me to photograph them. It doesn't matter if they know I'm not very good, I just don't want to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, your words do touch me, and I want to come over for dinner to your house after seeing those pictures.

    I think you're a beautiful momma, a beautiful wife, and a beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think your stew looks scrumptious. Is that rosemary and thyme I see?
    I know I am good with kids. I was a nanny for many years. I really like helping them enjoy life and learn at the same time. I also love to cook and clean. yes I do; I don't say that to loud though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved reading this! I have the same problem. I hate attention, so every single time someone gives me a compliment or mentions how they don't know how I do everything I do, I try to down play it! The fact is that ALL moms are pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks for this. loved reading it. so true on so many levels. so many times I hear myself saying to myself what I'm NOT good at instead of focusing on what I do well. i can cook. i can craft (sort of). i can dance! and i'm awesome at Boggle. :) those veggies and rosemary look DIVINE.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are great at humility and generously loving your family. That is why I read. You are a seeker of grace and I love how you find it daily!! Not that you would ever say that... And that's why I visit! Thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was a great post!
    What I’m good at?
    hmmmm,
    I like photography, sewing, cooking...but what I’m good at I think is mother all my little people and home schooling them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i've loved hearing from you all what your gifts and talents are! thank you for sharing!

    [i stopped going to the salon just because i haven't made time to go back! someone asked that....] =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. From those photos it looks like you're a good cook, not just a cook. I'm a good cook, too. I'm proud of it. It's therapeutic to chop and dice and sautee, plus there's an added benefit of nourishing my family. We should be proud of this because it takes effort.

    Maybe we're afraid to define ourselves by what we do because what if we stop doing them? Who are we then? I have these thoughts about working, motherhood, writing, and they all feel so complicated.

    This reminds me of a book I've been wanting to read by Byron Katie: "Who would you be without your story?" I love that....even the title challenges you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OK-this post is so true. When I was a teacher, I was totally afraid to say I was a good teacher because that is just 'not what you do.' And I WAS a good teacher!

    I have a really hard time saying what I'm good at-- I always just get all jumbled and say nothing. WHY IS THIS?? I even freaked out when a friend of mine started blogging with code names for everyone and called me Miss Talented. I was like "GAH! OH NO!! I'm JUST ME!!"

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very thought provoking. Maybe it's just better not to have labels. To just be.

    We are so many different things and fit into so many categories. Having someone say we are something or us calling ourselves something doesn't make us that, but just in the being are we evolved into something.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Repeat after me: "I am a writer." [Because you are].

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts