remembering.
| my sister's tree this weekend. childhood magic-y. |
i remember sitting in my brother's room on the floor.
our family, in a circle, holding hands and praying.
we prayed the Lord's prayer, then our own thoughts.
later, a wall was knocked out from my brother's room &
became the dining room. i remember wondering how on earth
our house would stay up with that wall gone.
i remember going to cut our christmas tree down every year as a family.
we would find the perfect one for us, but i remember dad steering us
toward the really big ones. sometimes he'd have to cut more off
when we got home to fit it. i think sometimes it didn't even fit then?
| the Christmas tree farm where we always went. |
i remember how often those trees fell over.
ornaments tumbling....i'm sure some probably broke.
but, i don't remember my parents being upset or frustrated.
actually, i remember mom cracking up about it one time.
now being the grown-up, i wonder if they were ever so frustrated
and even angry by it? too tired to pick it back up and decorate it properly?
i don't know. if they were, they held it in well.
i remember sitting in my room with my sister.
i think the hard wood floors were painted pink?
[which i know i would have loved.]
we had our Pocket Rockers & would jump on the bed to
I Think We're Alone Now
and
Only In My Dreams.
| sisters. |
i'm so thankful for my childhood &
am realizing now more than ever that
i want to love even better. especially matt.
sure, i love him, but we are the ones that made this family.
my parents are the ones that created that childhood.
they are the ones still in love & happy
while their 3 children are off
replicating that love in their own families.
i want that and i don't want to be complacent about it.
![]() |
| life is fun. |
i've heard that saying about the best gift a dad can give
his children is to love their mom. i love that, but it
absolutely goes the other way, too.
thankful for my family.


Simply beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI love these thoughts!
ReplyDeletesob, this has my pregnancy hormones in overdrive. I love the way you worded this....straight from the heart.
ReplyDeleteHappy Holidays Love & Matt...You are building a wonderful life!
I SO needed this today. Rough morning & I felt like saying "I quit". (my Mom job) Thanks, and thanks for following me on twitter too. I now have ONE awesome follower : )
ReplyDeleteBeautiful :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! As part of your extended family, you and your sister brought many happy memories with the little time we spent together. Please tell her hello.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great, great post! When we were pregnant with our first child I remember I recieved one piece of advice that stood out among the rest:
ReplyDelete"Don't ever forget that your marriage comes first, kids second."
It's so true. Because by putting your marriage first you're actually putting your kids first too.
jenny@mamanash.com
I always love what you have to say. Those sorts of pictures are my FAVORITE! I think strips of pictures are way cool. I always make Kaish get into them with me : )
ReplyDeletegreat post.
ReplyDeleteVery nicely said
ReplyDeleteYup yup - could not agree more!
ReplyDeleteYou get eleventiy billion cool points for mentioning pocket rockers. And "I think were' alone now". We so could have been friends growing up. ;-)
ReplyDeleteHey there. Can I "talk" with you about traveling to Uganda... thanks. Marci
ReplyDeletedurangomillers@yahoo.com
I love this post!! I had an amazing childhood as well and often look back on all my fun memories. As the adult now, I often forget what a huge role my parents played in my childhood...I'm easily frustrated when the Christmas tree doesn't look perfect or when bath time becomes silly time and water ends up all over me and the floor! Thanks for this reminder..especially this week..I want my girls to remember Christmas as a happy, fun time with their family not as a stressful event where mommy was irritated all day. Thanks Love!
ReplyDeleteSarah (1beautifulmes)
I think parents really do form how a child views the world as they grow. I know I expect a lot from my marriage precisely because I saw my parents who were loving towards one another. And we talk about how lucky how future family will be that we both feel it's important to really show how much we appreciate the other.
ReplyDeleteOh, and seeing that pic of you and your sister really shows how much Ellie and Chloe look like you! I always wanted a sister and how lucky are these 4 girls?
absolutely true!
ReplyDeleteAnd I totally agree!
Your pictures ROCK. You really have an "eye" for photography.
ReplyDeleteAlso - I agree w/ your final paragraph (and thank for the reminder, by the way). I so desire to love my husband well...every single day.
stephanie@metropolitanmama.net
Love your posts to reflect the true meaning of the Season. Thank you and Happy Holidays
ReplyDelete