just life.

we filled the baby pool with water balloons yesterday in preparation for a serious fight when matt got
home from work.  chloe and anika said, "let's just do 2 each right now & we'll save the rest
for later." suddenly 100 water balloons were gone in a couple minutes.  but, it was fun.  [is there
some invention i'm missing that has made water balloon filling any easier?]

matt and i were lying in bed last night and i was almost asleep.  [i think he was asleep.] i sat straight
up and exclaimed, "look!  they're out.  the fireflies are out!"  the long wild grass and weeds behind
our backyard was twinkling everywhere.  it was magic.  i asked if we should go wake the kids up.
 we decided that instead tonight's family fun night should involve a late night, mason jars and
twinkling bugs. i can't wait.  

this morning, we went to the park.  it was hot and sticky, but worth it.  clay waved hi to every
single person there.  bianca cracked up going down the slides with me.  ellie saw some little girl
talking to clay and ran up and put her arm around him, "this is my wittle brother." chloe and
 anika played together like the very best of friends.  

right now, the babies are napping and we're outside on the driveway.  i've done nothing except
hushed yelling, 
DON'T HIT THE NEIGHBOR'S FLOWERS WITH GOLF CLUBS.
GIVE YOUR SISTER A TURN. 
SLOW DOWN OR GO PUT ON YOUR HELMET!
NO, I DO NOT WANT A WORM.
ack.  i hate this cycle.  
what it means is that mama needs to chill out and join in some fun with them.
here we go.

Comments

  1. i so wish we had lightning bugs here. it just sounds so magical. enjoy your family time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh! That sounds like so much fun! And can I say that Clay is adorable!?! Because he totally is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that pic! The good news is that somehow kids seem to only remember the magical moments. And the "hushed yelling" is usually quickly forgotten and forgiven if you are present in their activities (and I know you are!) Your kids are so fortunate to have such a fun mom :)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes, lightning bugs!!! : ) one of my very favorite things about summer! over memorial day weekend we were at my paren's cabin in the country (southern il) and we saw the most beautiful lightning bug "show" ever. we have promised to let the kids stay up late and do that very same thing soon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got up in the dead of the night for a glass of water and saw the fireflies last night, too, and had the very same reaction! They're out! Also, I am going to see you NWI ladies this Summer. I am going to do it, someway, somehow, before I have this baby. Okay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful story. Powerful lesson. Sometimes, we just need to shirk the work and play with our kids to right the ship (and the spirit).

    (There IS something you can use to make water balloons go a little faster. It fastens onto your facet and makes it easy for them to slip on and off. Do you know about that?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. we dont have lightening bugs here in cali. In fact, i don't know if I have ever seen one! That is so awesome you had a huge water balloon fight. What a fun mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. very cool photo. and water balloons are such fun play times!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog. I love how God's light shines through your heart and your blog is a reflection of that.

    I am going to have to try the water balloon idea with my 3yo twin brothers. They'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having Ellie run up to Clay and proclaim he was HER little brother gave me goosebumps. What a beautiful moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a beautiful place here. Thanks for sharing your stories and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh fun...I love fireflies...they just sound more magical then lightning bugs don't ya think.

    Hope everything is ok, will miss you in the twitter world, but glad to see you are still going to be blogging. You have beautiful words and a great message that you are living...so thank you for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to be you when I grow up. :) Just thought you should know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts