for boys.

some days we just need our mamas.
it's one of those days.

i've been thinking a lot about the blessing of being a mom to this amazing boy.
how each of our children is uniquely special, 
yet [for now] he is our only son.

how much i hope we teach him:

to be comfortable in his own skin.
to know that the beaten path isn't always the one meant for him.
to stand up for what he believes without arrogance or ignorance.
to know how to fix things and take pleasure in his work.
to know that being the leader of the household sounds great, but is a huge, serious charge.
that respect is earned by action, not words.
[especially when no one is looking.]
to find a love that is happy to see him when he comes home from work.
a love that is joyful and God-fearing and loves him only 2nd to that.

how will he know these things if he doesn't see them in us?
in me?
if he doesn't see them in action?

may i:

be more comfortable in my skin.
skip the beaten path sometimes.
always seek to understand other's viewpoints and assert mine respectfully.
not be idle & be joyful in my work.
respect the leader of our household.
live out the words i believe.
[especially when no one is looking.]
be happy [and not exhausted] when my love returns home from work.
have a joyful and loving marriage that puts Him first.

{what else do our little boys need to know?}

Comments

  1. I was just talking today about how one of my main hopes for my son is that I raise him to feel safe in the world. That's not to mean he doesn't feel vulnerable, or scared, or unsure, but just that he feels like he is going to be ok no matter what. To know that he is loved.

    I do hope it's ok that I ask a question. (I want to preface it with sharing that I was not raised in a home where God was present, nor do I feel that I have a relationship with any God now that I am an adult. I seek out spiritual experiences and I ask for others to share their beliefs when they are willing so that I have more opportunities to explore because it's an ongoing journey for me. ) I am unsure what the following means and I was wondering if you might explain:

    "a love that is joyful and God-fearing and loves him only 2nd to that."

    Finally, I love LOVE this:

    "that respect is earned by action, not words.
    [especially when no one is looking.]"

    It's very timely for me to think about today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, jenny! i'm so glad you asked.

    i want Clay to find a wife [a love] that is joyful no matter what the circumstances. of course, there is a time for anger, sorrow and confusion, but faith allows me to believe that i can have joy in ALL circumstances. i don't want him to have a wife that doesn't believe that. i want my daughter-in-law to love God first and foremost, then Clay.

    a lot of this stems from the things i pray to improve about my life. matt is coming home from a long, exhausting day and i want him to come home to JOY and PEACE. [not an exhausted, selfish wife like i SOMETIMES feel.]

    i hope this clears it up a little.
    SO HAPPY you asked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog even though I have never met you. My husband and I pastor a large church and God has asked us to sell all we have to go on the mission field. We have a birth son and daughter and recently completed an adoption through foster care of a three year old we gave had for two years. I love when you share about your son because that is how I feel about my daughter. She has none of my genes but all of my heart. And her personality is definitely that of our family. We also foster a teen until we leave for the mission field. Thank you for so openly sharing your heart on this blog. You bless me everyday and inspire me when I feel overwhelmed with four kids!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also hope to raise my boys to:

    * always be respectful of women and treat them as equals (this goes for gender, race, etc)

    * find the things and people that bring them joy and make them better people

    * stop and smell the roses

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I am feeling a bit negative today I'm so glad I stopped by here, makes me feel much better! :)

    I think boys need to be shown how to be real men; who love and respect all women, they need to see what a good dad looks like, what it means to be a good friend to others. I hope all these things and more for my little guy!

    Great post! XO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also only have one son in a houseful of daughters! The most important things I want him to learn are how to love God first, and be a truely amazing husband for some lucky lady down the road. I want him to be kind and compassionate and giving. I want him to be a wonderful father to my grandchildren. I always hope to have this close relationship with him and that he knows his Momma is always there for him. SIGH...I just love my brown eyed boy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love stopping by and reading your blog. You have such a way with words. I too need to work on my being happy (and not exhausted) when my love returns home from work. I feel that my time has often gotten away from me and I don't feel ready for him to come home. That is really due to time management or lack there of. He deserves to come home to a happy home for how hard he works.
    So thank you for reminding me. And also that respect is earned by action not words. My husband is very good at this!

    Your son is a beautiful boy and he will make beautiful choices because you are such a beautiful person!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love LOVE reading your blog!!! :-)
    Did I mention I LOVE your blog! ;-)
    Brandy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you so much for sharing! i love that you are intentional!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That it's ok to show emotion, it's ok to cry, and it's ok to learn how to deal with those emotions in his own individual way.

    Boys need to know you are always there, always. No matter how far, how old, or how close they are.

    They need to know that everyone makes mistakes, EVEN Mom & Dad. And it's ok.

    They also need to know how to AIM FOR THE TOILET, put the seat down when they're done, and ALWAYS wash their hands after going to the bathroom. :)

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Hello! I have just recently started reading your blog and love it so much! I love your journey and your heart!!! I made a post about things we pray over our son on my blog not long ago. If you wanna check it out, here's the link!:
    http://rameelinlarson.blogspot.com/2010/03/prayer-for-son.html
    Thanks for writing. I will be reading;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want my boys to know that God made them for a purpose- (right now it is to obey their parents.) I pray they will know Him and walk with Him on a daily basis seeking first His Kingdom. This is a Very high calling - that is why He promises to be our Helper!Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having our two boys, I too think about this... I think you covered about everything, though! :)

    ~ To be the spiritual leader of the household and teach his children about the Lord in all that he does...

    ~To love his wife and children fiercely after God and before his work...

    ~To find work that is fulfilling to his soul and makes him happy, whether a doctor or janitor

    ~ And yes, Steph, to always, always hit the "potty water" :)

    LOVE this post!


    T

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect! I want my son to be all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  15. - to respect the women in his life, which includes holding doors and pulling out chairs

    - that money isnt everything

    great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts