all together.
[this was saved in drafts from last week, but deserves publishing.]
earlier this week i took the 3 youngest on a field trip with anika & her class. we went to the library & we had to leave straight from there for an appointment. the teacher informed me later that when the rest of them got back to school one of the moms said,
"we're missing a car. you know, that mom that has it all together."
oh, how that made me laugh. we definitely have the most children and many people do find it surprising that we all tag along to most field trips and class parties, but it is just what we do. i wouldn't want to miss out on it & i wouldn't want to leave the others at home.
but, have it all together? does anyone?!
i wear dressings and leggings [almost] everyday simply so i don't have to squeeze in pants.
the babies have worn PJs all day long more than once this week.
i dropped my iPhone while loading the babies in the truck after a Chicago doctor's appointment.
then, i forgot to pick it up.
when i immediately went back to get it, someone had already gotten it. they laughed at me when i called.
we've been 3 minutes late to school EVERY day this week.
i was so behind on matching socks last week that i offered the girls $0.25/pair.
i learned to change that to a dime next time. we shelled out $27.00. [seriously.]
i just replaced everyone's toothbrush even though they've needed it for over a week.
i have a stack of clothes to hang up laying on my bed. they'll probably just be moved over to the dresser.
i owe so many people e-mails and phone calls that i'm starting to get anxious about it. i'm realizing how
silly it is to have a "house phone." i can't make calls here.
oh, there's probably more. it's just that none of us have it all together, do we? just because i show up with my 5 kids in a cute dress doesn't mean i didn't leave breakfast sitting on the table until that night when they were tucked in bed.
and here on this blog? i hope you know that i really love focusing on the beautiful in the everyday. because it is there. i think my "real life" friends would tell you that's the "real" me, too. but, i have mess, issues, and annoyances, too.
i'm just doing what i can, the best that i can and letting the rest go. [until i can get to it.]

Wonderful post! It's so easy to think people "have it all together" when most of struggle and flop as much as we succeed! But love is what makes a home and it is obvious you have oodles of that:)
ReplyDeletevery true to mommyhood!
ReplyDeleteI love this post! I can very much relate!!
ReplyDeleteYou make me smile! You have "it" altogether because you care about the important stuff! LOVE makes you look totally organized :0)
ReplyDeleteI think the imperfect moments, the messes, are the best ones. They stick in my head and resurface years later to give me a good laugh. And if anyone can say they're life is "all together" then they must not have kids and it must be pretty boring. You know how monotonous and bland life would be if we did the same thing each day, on the same schedule, and never deviated from it? Why, that's not life at all!
ReplyDeleteLoved your post, as always. I'm sorry that your phone is gone. I just pray for the people that weren't honest enough to return it.
I agree with some of the comments made above- the reason you appear to 'have it all together' is because you give the important things(and people) priority! :) Having IT all together is having what's important together. Everything else will figure itself out.
ReplyDeleteI love this post. I am especially happy to learn that you have annoyances because it always seems like you're able to look on the bright side every time... even when someone steals your iPhone. :) Of course that's a good quality to have, but it's nice to know you get annoyed sometimes like the rest of us. :) LOL!
ReplyDeleteAll that you've mentioned, you have with 5 kids! I have all that with just ONE! Now my excuse is that I work full time, and I know no one thinks I have it together. But I think that's the beauty of life...mismatched socks can be so silly :)
ReplyDeleteI am starting to believe that having it all together is a mentality, not a physical actuality. If you are peaceful, ok with the goings on, and ready to proceed with your day - people will believe you have it all together. It has nothing to do with laundry, hair, make up or dusting. It's the energy you give off, not the clothes you wear that lead people to believe that.
ReplyDeleteAs I learn it, I'm trying to live it...and taking lessons from you. :)
OK, somebody made a similar comment to me 2 months ago, right after we got home from China with child 3. This lady said, "Look at you! A new mom and you're even wearing lipstick!" and I thought to myself...yep, and chewing gum because even though it is 4 in the afternoon, I have not gotten to brush my teeth yet today! I can so relate to wondering why the breakfast dishes are still on the table as I'm putting supper on too!
ReplyDeleteHow sweet and simple honesty can be~~I needed that today...thanks for the fix.
ReplyDeletewhen i was cleaning the day before my sons birthday party, i took everything that was on the tv and threw it in a bag and tucked it away! out of sight out of mind :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful post. My favorite of the day!
ReplyDeletei don't mean to alarm you, but I think you've gained an extra child in that photo.;)
ReplyDeleteAnd seriously, no one has it all together, and I think if we all admitted it more often, we'd all be a lot happier.
Dresses are a brilliant way to look like you have it all together! Love it!
ReplyDeleteWe don't have a house phone and never ever miss it or need it. Thanks for the post...makes us all feel like we're in the same boat!
Um....I don't have kids and I live out of laundry baskets as I never fold/put away my laundry and I have to buy food every time I want to cook because I'm not coordinated enough to plan.
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed that you dropped a phone rather than a kid, as, if it were me, I'd have forgotten how many kids I had, driven away, and had to have the cops bring one home.
And, I'll mate socks in your house for that kind of cash. :-)
I love what you wrote about the socks... I just gave my son $10 for picking up sticks in the yard after I promised him a nickel per stick. Ten minutes and a pile of 200 sticks later convinced me that next time it will be a penny per stick! Thank you for your honesty and helping to remind us that no one really has it all together.
ReplyDeleteLove this! We really all in this together, with the same struggles. I got so many compliments on my dress and heels at church yesterday. Of course all the casual clothes are piled to the ceiling waiting on the washing machine so I didn't have a choice!
ReplyDeleteLove this! And I hear you on the dresses, so much easier...
ReplyDeleteI finally caught up on my emails (there were some in there from LAST NOVEMBER!) Want to know how I did it? Mass delete. I got kind of itchy doing it BUT... it was affecting my mind having that weight.
ReplyDeleteOf course I didn't delete important ones, but many were ones that I wanted to respond to appear a good and friendly "blogger" and basically I just hope people understand I am a busy loving mom of many. And if they don;t, oh well. :)
I think you do a great job of having the important stuff together. Everything else always falls into place. A lot of people don't realize that in order to maintain a large family, we have no choice but to do things the way we do, and if it makes us look "together", then, Bonus!
You ARE a beautiful person inside and out (I know this because I see you in real life and on line) and not everyone is good at that, so you'll continue to inspire people in this good way, I believe. :)
Steph
LOVE this post and laughed at so much of your list that sounds SO very familiar. (especially breakfast on the table and the clothes on the bed!) I love that you are able to love your life and your kids even in the middle of the mess and still see the beauty that is right in front of you. Sometimes that is my biggest challenge...seeing past the mess to the beautiful ones who made it messy. :)
ReplyDeleteI love the picture on this blog. It makes me smile to see that precious lineup!
Oh, you make me smile! And the fact you shelled out $27.00 for the sock sorters made me laugh out loud! Sounds like something that I'd resort to and it would end up biting me! Too funny! Thanks for posting this...it makes me glad to see a lot of me in there...good to know I'm not the only one who "has it all together" the same way you do! ;)
ReplyDeleteI think you just summed up my LIFE! Thanks for being truthful and all our OUR everyday flaws ( true blessings).
ReplyDeleteI with Erin, there's one extra little one in that picture :)
ReplyDeleteI don't have kids yet, and I never have it together. I even wonder sometimes how I'm going to fit a child into my life. Of course I will drop whatever I can to spend time, but it is still a worry.
Also a worry, how on earth are we going to come up with the 45K to adopt from Africa. Oh my.
ha! i didn't even know if anyone would notice the extra kid thrown in there. we hardly do. ; )
ReplyDeleteshe is our precious friends' daughter that we were watching! =)
AND--thank you for all your support and kind words. i'm sure they helped even more than just me!
ps--i used it because it was the most "not having it all together" photo i could find. it works, right?! =)
ReplyDeleteI love love love this post. :)
ReplyDeleteSuch a cute post! I love the honesty and the being okay with it too! :)
ReplyDeletei love this . . . i always have to laugh when i get the "you always have it together" comment too!! i always tell them i must me good actress . . . because i rarely feel like i have it together!! :O)
ReplyDeletewhere do you get your dresses that go with the leggings? Can you post a few pics because I am wanting to get a few dresses for summer like that! Do you have to be skinny to wear them? I am NOT!
ReplyDeletecaplingers2002@yahoo.com
What a true to parenthood post.
ReplyDelete