look around.


the dishes in the sink, on the counter, at the table mean i sat down with my friends last night instead
of cleaning.  i enjoyed them fully; laughing, remembering, hoping, cherishing.

the baskets of shoes, un-packed suitcases & swim floaties mean that we were blessed to have a little
get-away as a family.  it means that we have enough to be spilling over baskets.  it means that some
things have just been more important in the last 5 days than putting them all away.

the unmade bed means a little girl who excitedly jumped out of her bed today & got ready as quick
as she everly can.  she excitedly talked about how much fun it was to have 12 kids here last night...
running, playing & being kids.  it means she gets to spend the day with her dad, siblings & cousins
which meant NO time for bed-making.

it means that i have the house to myself and i as looked around to figure out where to start cleaning,
i smiled.  it is a big, beautiful mess.  i am so thankful.

Comments

  1. It was a wonderful night. Thank you for letting us make such a beautiful mess. I hope you're getting lots done (for you or the house) today!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see a mess! Any home that's spotless doesn't have kids or is a model home ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you really aren't perfect! No, really, though, this shows that indeed, you really ARE perfect (or close to it...), being able to enjoy the wonderful things life has given you! ;) Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SUCH a beautiful mess.

    I have a side to me that urges me to clean up and put away the dishes, the messes, the food while guests are still over. My husband has encouraged me to choose to spend that time with my guests instead. And I HAVE. And it's been beautiful.

    So I really appreciate this post:).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love this post!

    How wonderful to be able to be thankful for your beautiful mess. You know what's really important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one of those beautiful messes here today, too, except I didn't look at it as beautiful until I read your post. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your perspective is awesome! I need to think like that more often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, this makes me feel less guilty about not helping you clean up last night. :)

    Which was magical, not just for your girl but for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad that I am not the only one who doesn't always unpack right away...sometimes other things are just too important! I have a friend who always says her house is never clean because too many fun things happen. I love it! Such a beautiful mess!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's clean enough to be healthy and messy enough to be live-able.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I see you are part of the Beth/Steph crowd! I met them at Cupcake 10 and what beautiful souls they are!

    I love this post. Sometimes I look around and see a beautiful mess but sometimes I look around and only see a mess. I try to keep it all in balance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm with you. sometimes, the messier the home, the happier the home. and how in the world do you make photos of messes look so good?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I TRY to remember this every day. Some days it works, others, not so much! People always say to enjoy every minute because you'll miss it when the kids grow up and are gone. I will miss many things about this time with my kids, but don't know if I'll ever truly miss the mess! I probably will and will be eating those words!!! However, I plan on having the Grandkids over often, which will probably give me many more messes to clean up and more chances to "remember when"!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts