questions?

Ellie's nurse was just here doing her weekly IV dressing change.
Actually, it was a different nurse than her normal one.
She began asking about our family.
When she learned that the [napping] babies were 3 months apart,
the puzzled look started.

That's when I shared that Clayton is adopted.
Adoption is not a dirty word in our house.
We celebrate adoption here:
Our adoption into God's family,
and Clayton's adoption into his forever family.

She was very respectful, but it was obvious that 
adoption was a new concept to her.
Especially since we had "all these other kids."
I'm actually very thankful for respectful questions.
She asked:

So, what made you all adopt when you had all these kids?
Why did you chose Africa?
Oh, so in that country do they have black skin?
Are you done having kids now?

I'm happy to talk with anyone that's interested and willing
to consider things, even if those things may be outside their box.

I'm also loving improving my 20 second "reason" why
we adopted, especially from Africa.

It is hard to sum up all my feelings about the orphan crisis,
the calling upon Christians, the love I've always felt for Africa
in 20 seconds.  Here's an even shortened version.

We found out about the orphan crisis.  There are over 150 million
orphans worldwide.  We couldn't turn our back on that.  Especially
when we have more love and more room.  

I understand that adoption isn't simple, but you know what?  
It kinda is.

A child needs love.  I have love to give.


Maybe you have some questions, too. 
 I'm not a professional, but I'd
be happy to hear them and answer honestly.  
So, ask?  
I'd love to hear from you. 
{Even if it's just to tell me something fun!}  

Comments

  1. I don't think I have any questions. But I always love reading your posts and seeing your darling kiddo's pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to nibble on his cheeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have a question, either... hmmm. Oh! Do people assume that you adopted because you had all girls and wanted a boy? Erin's post about how everyone assumes that she would want a girl so she had "one of each" has made me think about these things and the unintentionally rude things people can sometimes say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh tears!!! I can't help it, every time I read about him and see the love on his face. Amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always thought adoption would be simple...

    maybe we have been given the wrong information, but, we were told we couldn't adopt internationally because we have 5 kids. The countries have restrictions on how many kids you can already have. we feel called to adopt from a country with an orphan crisis - but can't figure out the HOW.

    Any advice??

    ps. to Cameron's question...
    people ALWAYS assume we had our fifth baby (first daughter) because we were trying for a girl. I know they mean well when they see me with my 4 boys and a girl and say "ohhh you finally got your girl!" but, come on! what are my boys supposed to think??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no questions about adoption, but as I'm making my way through a bag of spiced gum drops, I would like to know what your favorite jelly belly flavors are. Granted, these are not gum drops, but I'm eating my gum drops and wishing they were jelly bellies.

    p.s. I love that little punk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a wonderful way with words. I think it's evident why God has chosen you for this specific journey.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  8. was it difficult to make the kids you already had understand what was going to happen and why, and to make them love clayton the same as an actual brother? or did it just come easy for them? was it a hard/stressful topic to bring up with them for the first time?

    ReplyDelete
  9. how do you feel about domestic adoption? i know its very difficult and takes forever! my SIL & BIL adopted a child that had the parental rights terminated since birth and it still took them over a year and a half.

    i really have no other ??? you speak so openly about your life! and i love reading about it. you are a great role model for the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I might have a lot of questions as this is something I really want to do, but if you don't want to share all of the answers, I won't be offended in the least. :)

    How long did it take from the time you first began the process until you had Clay in your arms and AT HOME?

    How does this work financially?


    How did you decide where to adopt from?

    Was there resistance from your lawyers/social workers due to the fact that you already had 4 children?

    You say that you're planning on adopting at least one more child. DO you know where you want to adopt from already?

    Is there anything that you'll do differently this next time?


    Ok...That's all I can think of for now. :) I'm so happy that you have that little sweetheart, though. SO, SO happy. He makes my heart smile, and I'd love to kiss his sweet cheeks someday(along with his sisters' cheeks, too)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great post. i appreciate that you were gracious and not condescending about her questions. i am SO in need of a 20 second answer. mine usually starts with "uh....." because i don't know how to get it down to 20 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I could just eat those cheeks up he is so adorable! He has beautiful eyes too! You answered it so well and you sound so patient. You are full of love, I can tell!

    ReplyDelete
  13. amen sister! i love how put adoption isn't easy but it kinda is...they need love and we have love to give! YES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have no questions, just want to say how grateful I am that you are willing to be such a cheerful ambassador for adoption. I believe in the process, both domestic and international and know there is so much misinformation and misunderstanding out there. Thanks again for being such a graceful and informative voice for those who know the process is a wonderful thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. No questions about international adoption. Because we have done it and are doing it again :) But I love that you are open to talk about it. We feel adoption shouldn't be a secret.....this is how God chose to build our family. I can honestly tell you from my own personal experience that holding my biological and adopted children for the first time was EXACTLY the same. It was the same feeling as if I touched heaven and KNEW above all things that God placed my children directly in my arms....BLESSED to be a mommy :) I love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great answer. Great cheeks. And Sarah, I know there are countries that do not allow you to adopt after you have five children but there are plenty that will. Just do some investigating;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How many hoops were there to jump through? How long did it take?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the world needs more people like you in it! Lots of children need love and there is soooo much love to give! Enjoy every moment of it all!
    Jamie
    lovelongtime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your blog. We have a 11 yr old girl and 14 yr old son and are fostering to adopt a beautiful Hispanic 3 yr old girl. We have had her almost 2 years and are weeks away from finalization. I would do it again. She is the joy of my life and most people are surprised she is adopted. I encourage people to check out foster care to adopt. It is long but there are so many children and so many benefits this way. We prayed hard before going in and got our hearts desire. She is such a blessing. But I love your story as well. Adoption changes us. We look at the world differently.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We may be on the road to adopt from Africa and when I talk to others about this I almost always get the following question: "Why not adopt one of the many children in need of a home right here in your own country?"

    I'm curious if you have faced this question and how you would answer it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adoption has a way of teaching us about unconditional love.
    My adopted sister is no different to me than my other two sisters. We came to adopt after my parents already had 5 children.

    The Lord prepares the way. If a child is meant to come to you, it will happen. (That's where the easy part comes into play for me!)

    Our son, who is currently serving a church mission in Uganda finds the orphan "situation" staggering. I have no doubt that he will return some day and bring some children back to be a part of his family. He has truly come to love the people of Africa.
    Bless you and your precious family.

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh man I love him..
    You openess and honesty make me smile.
    You are a light.
    ~Ryley

    ReplyDelete
  23. I simply want to squish his cheeks! He is just adorable Love!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. No questions...yet....just in awe of your strength and your story. :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  25. "I understand that adoption isn't simple, but you know what?
    It kinda is.


    A child needs love. I have love to give."

    What a beautiful answer for people asking about adoption!

    Just found your blog, and I love it. I know I will enjoy following you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  26. "A child needs love. I have love to give."

    Thank-you, thank-you for saying that, and so beautifully simply put. I have been struggling the past few days with weither we should adopt or if it would be better to give the $30,000.00 to help a number of children in their own countries. That just struck a cord in my heart..

    My question - were you and your husband equally enthusiastic about adoption at the begining stages?

    ReplyDelete
  27. hi, caseyB!!

    my husband and i were. i think i answered it more in depth in one of my previous Q & A's. {you can see them all my clicking that label at the end of the post.}

    i know that many spouses are on different pages though. i'm praying about this and i hope to do a post soon!! please know i pray for each person that reads this blog....and this is one of my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts