in the names




continuing your questions, my answers!

Beth asked how we came up with all 5 of our children's names. [i LOVE names, too!]

On our SECOND date, 10 years ago, Matt and I were in Chicago. At one point we were walking and browsing in stores. It ended up being a game of "If we got married, this would be our..." You name it, we picked it out.....right down to the Crate and Barrel dish pattern that we wanted. [Sweet Pea.]

Of course, then he asked about kid's names. [and by "he," i totally mean "I."]

So, we named 3 girls and 3 boys. [can you believe he didn't take off RUNNING?!]

Chloe is a name I had loved FOREVER. i remember doodling it as far back as 5th grade!
it means blooming.

Anika is a Scandinavian name he's always loved. His paternal great-grandparents are Swedish. I tried to switch the spelling to Onika so she wasn't call ANN-icka, but traditional spelling won out.
it means gracious.


Ella or Ellie is our 3rd pick together....just something we liked. We decided Ellie and I'm so glad we did. What a little Ellie she is!
it means shining light.


We were "out" of girl names from that 2nd date, but so excited to be having another girl.

Bianca is just a name I've always loved and felt was so glamorous. Old Hollywood-ish.
it means pure.


We chose Colin as our first boy's name. When my sister called me excited that they had finally found a boy's name, it was Colin! He is the oldest of our 4 nephews and I couldn't imagine any other name for him.

Matt chose Clayton in honor of his Grandpa that passed away in 1985. He has fond memories of him, as well as the fact that his Grandpa built custom homes just like Matt does now. I wrote the beautiful God-talking-right-to-me moment of how Clayton got his middle name right here.

Lori asked how old Clayton is and how long our adoption process was.

We actually are unsure of Clayton's exact age or birthdate. We are sticking with the random date they guessed in Africa because our pediatrician doesn't think it is that far off. So, he is 14 months old. 3 months older than Bianca.

We knew it was time to adopt in November of 2008. We began our paperwork a few weeks after Bianca was born in February 2009 and brought Clay home in November of 2009. So, 9 months. {amazingly quick!}

Donya asked:

How did Matt and I meet?

We met in college. He was visiting friends and they were sitting behind us at a football game. His friends knew my friends and he got a hold of my e-mail address. We have huge binders filled with our early days of e-mailing.

What was the hardest part of the adopting process?

I'd say that it was leaving Clayton at the orphanage after the 1st trip. It is so hard to think about loving this little person with your whole heart and you can't just bring them home. [There are so many families in this situation right now and I'm praying for you everyday! We need to get these kids HOME.]

What is your favorite perfume?

This is totally embarrassing, but IF I wear perfume {rarely} it is Fantasy by Britney Spears!

Where would I take my family on a vacation?

Fiji! I also dream of us going on a family mission trip to Africa.

I'm so thankful so many of you have been saying HI lately. I've loved hearing from you and learning about you.

So tell me, what is YOUR favorite boy or girl name??

{I love Mason, Luke, Fiona, Amelia and Lyla.}

Comments

  1. Love the name stories! If we have a girl, she will probably be named Kadi, which is a combination of both our mothers' names. If Tommy had been a girl, though, he would have been Ella/Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I baby-naming stories!! (Our daughter's name is Sidney - in honor of my paternal grandfather) But I like the names Rhealen, Zoe, Cadence, Kylie, Mallory, Alexa and Mia (for girls) AND Jeremiah, Gabriel, Samuel, Jack, Hank, Eli and Braeden (for boys)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your names and especially the stories!
    We don't reveal our names (teehee) but I do love a name with a story, or a history so family names and biblical names are always at the top of our list.
    As for our Joel James...Joel is my father's middle name, his father was Joe. James is Leo's father's name. Our boy was both of his grandpas and I still just looooove his name. It was the only boy name we considered, we liked it that much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved this post! Such cute names you picked for your children! I have always LOVED Isabella for a girl and Isaac for a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the stories too!

    Names: Gage, Masyn, Emma, & Sloan.
    Our next baby will be Sloan.
    {God willing there be a next baby!}

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only name I have left is for a girl and its Reyna. If Caide had been a girl he would have been Reyna.

    Our other kids are Mason, Peyton, Blayre, Kendyl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh names. I could go on for days, I love names like Elizabeth, Emily or Rachel for a girl. Very traditional names. I've been dreaming lately of a little girl named Elizabeth Dawn. Interesting. Boys names are harder for me and hubs to agree on. I like Jackson, Aidan and Collin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The day we got married, my husband gave me a binder full of every single email we'd exchanged since we met. I still treasure it.

    We are fresh out of names. I can't even conceive of a name for our new little one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been loving the answers to all these questions! It's so fun to get to "know" you and your family. :)
    And seriously, names are my very favorite thing in the whole wide world!
    So, here are the ones we have left on our list!
    Boys: Roscoe, Theodore, Phin, Arthur James {after hubby's best friend}, Rainn, Shepherd, Cullen, Oslo. It's a lot but we want a lot of kids, so... ;)
    Girls: Blossom, Daisy Beth, Rosalin Emira, Rubie, Meadow, Celeste, Penelope, Merry, Melody, Alice, and Lydia!
    Obviously we may not end up using them all but they're ones we mull over a lot!
    And so far, we have two boys - Jack Dempsey and Forrest Truman {all family names except for 'Jack'}. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just came across the name Everly and love it for a girl. But my Husband does not, so the baby inside my tummy will have a different name. ;) If it is a girl, we are going for Charlotte! I also like Lucia.

    For boys, I like pretty traditional names. Our current pick for a boy name is Benjamin Todd, which are both family names.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love Grace for a little girl and Grant for a boy.

    I've always loved Keegan but hubs won't go for it. bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love talking baby names. My favorite names are the names of my seven children. I wrote about them here http://www.littlegreenpastures.com/2009/01/whats-in-name.html and here http://www.littlegreenpastures.com/2009/11/whats-in-name-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't tell my names either! But I love looking at everyone else's! And Fiona is one of my favs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. After miscarrying twins and then a single pregnancy I came to terms wtih the fact that I may not become a mom through the traditional sense so two years later, by the grace of God....our Grace was born:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your names....I already have our little African Princess named and we are pretty far away from meeting her. Name the baby... check! :0)

    i love Luke too, that's our third boy's name. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love reading all your questions and answers - thank you so much for sharing with all of us!
    Personally, I love Fynn & Paige ;) but I also love Maeve and Sadie for girls, and Lucas (hubby's name), and Brady for boys.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So fun! I love the name Amalia (Molly for short and my hubby's grandmaother's name)for a girl and Cruz for a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I knew Boo's name from the moment I knew I was pregnant. She is named after my grandma and Hubby's grandma.

    When we have our next, girl is up in the air, but Boy would be Edward Dean I think...lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Addyson is my hands down pick for a girl!

    I seriously cannot come up with one for a boy. maybe thats a sign?!? totally kidding!

    the problem is that i am a great big cheese ball and want an A name...so that the kids will be A, B, & C. And i like for the name to have a y in it...no particular reason, it just feels right. so a boy name that starts with A and has a y is not easy. ANYWAY...there ya have it. i'm strange! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aubs- you could always do Aidan as Ayden..;)

    Of course by favorite boys names are Colin which Love and Matt "gave up" for us ;) who is actually Robert Colin after his dad Robert Andrew.

    Aidan Paul which is a name I always liked from crazy enough Sex in the City and Paul is after our wonderful father.

    Ethan was between that and Ian and we went with an "E" to match Ellie (his girl counterpart) his middle name Nathaniel is after our amazing brother.

    Owen was just a name I fell in love with and thought it went well with the other boys names and his middle name Mason we loved just like Love does.

    My favorite girls names which I will never get to use are Emma (which would have been Colin), Ava (which would have been Aidan), and Karys (which would have been Ethan or Owen). Along with all my nieces names!

    I also love Sydney, Keegan, Landon, Luke, Mckenna, and Amelia.

    Love-Can't wait to see you all on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Our first son is Kieran. Traditional Irish boy's name that we just really liked (we both have Irish in our ancestry, but way back). If he were a girl, he would've been Clara Genevieve.

    Our daughter is Anneke (traditional Dutch spelling of your Anika :)). If she had been a boy, she'd have been Pollock Walden.

    Second son is Griffon. He'd have been Liesl Briar (Liesl after the Sound of Music :)).

    Baby is Archer. He'd have been Calliope. :)

    I love names.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ok i love name games too!!!

    our daughter is Emma Marie
    we loved the name emma and marie is my middle name, my moms middle name and her moms middle name!

    our 1st son is Aiden James
    again we loved the name aiden and james is my husbands dads name and my uncles name

    now for the baby....

    Luke Carson-Bernard again just love the name luke and his middle name is a combo. my grandpas name was CB (just that and his last name) so we agreed on carson and Bernard is my hasbands grandaps middle name.

    we love naming the kids middle names after grand parents. next middle name up is elizabeth and johansing

    we also love (for a first name) amy or sofia we can never figure out a boys name until we are forced too :)

    i am loving getting to know you and your family better!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your babies and their names.

    Perfect.

    xo-z

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ok-finally a chance to comment!

    Ivy would have been Beck if she were a boy (probably Beckett but we'd call him Beck) or Finn. We already have Noah, Carter, & Grayson.

    I love Lulu. I call Ivy that too, tho. (her full name is Ivy LaRue.)

    I also really love Story & Matilda.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  25. It sounds crazy, but the day I found out I was pregnant I knew I was having a boy. I had my heart set on naming him Nolan, and I can't imagine him having any other.

    I also love Oliver, Mason, and Miles or Milo.

    If we have a girl I want to name her Natalie Reese.

    I also love the names Robyn, Kate, and Alexandra.

    We shall see, I want four children and my hubby wants 2! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love names also! My kids are Emma, Seth, Amelia and Liberty. They each have a story and if Liberty weren't crawling all over me right now I'd tell you. I also love Samuel, Elliot, Eli, Kate, Abigail, Nora, Stella....I really love traditional names.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Austin and Cade are our boys names. If we have more boys, Olan and Bruce. If there's a girl, I've always loved Ella, Claire, Savannah, Virginia, and Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ian's full name is Ian Ruel, Ruel is my dads middle name and being the only sons only child I had to use a family name. Casey said dince we were using ruel it had to be an I name so that he would be I ruel.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've shared a couple of these with you before... But I've added a few =]

    For Boys: Acie (after hubby's grandpa), Liam, Rowan, and Tristan

    For Girls: Lyla (after my memaw), Roselyn, Adelaide (Addy), Eden, Esme, and Eowyn pronounced ay-o-win (that one is because we are Lord of the Rings finatics... nerdy or not, I love that name!)

    And I hope to use ALL of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. My son's name is Mason! I love the names Ainsley and Adelynn for a girl. Boy names are hard for me. Caden was our second choice with our son but it is too common now. I like Declan, Rowan, and Cullen.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my goodness, names are SO fun!

    Boy names I like are Rowan, Landen, Levi, Haydon and Jake

    Girl names: Lorelie, Eva, Grace and Elena (a form of my Grandmother's name). I also like Larkin and Quinn.

    ReplyDelete
  32. We have Grace, Clara, and Ellianne who we call Ellie. I like old names.

    We also started out via email and had binders of them but then we broke up before we were engaged and I threw them all out! the only one I kept was about september 11th, when the towers went down. I wish I had all those emails now.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love so many names, so those type of conversations tend to go in circles in our house! When we first were dating we have a boy name and a girl name, but now we don't want either!

    The biggest thing for us is that the name will be the one thing we tell no one until after the birth. We're planning on introducing each of our children to God and the universe before we tell anyone else. The husband wants it to be something we share.

    Oh, and we got our coffee sleeve.....awesome! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The plumbing is gone, so here are the names we will never use ;)
    Emma, Brianna, and Bryce. We only ever thought of one boy name, and never got to use it. We have three daughters Marissa (15), Rebekah (13), and Alisha (10).
    Your family is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Luke is my brother's name. I totally have a whole list. The favs right now are Jude, Carter, Maya, Layla, Eliza, Riley, Ahavah, Meera

    ReplyDelete
  36. Say it aint so! Brittany Spears perfume?! Okay, I forgive you for that one ;) HA!

    I've always wanted a girl so I could name her after my beloved Granny who's passed on.

    I would have named her Violet Grace. Unless something happens down the road that we aren't planning for, or at this time even want, that won't happen now :(

    And I really like Eli and Levi or Elias or Asa or Asher for boys names.

    But, we're done with our Nick and Zane and Dash. :--)

    ReplyDelete
  37. :) My sister's name is Chloe.

    I actually love my name: Celeste. I have always thought it is so pretty.

    other girl names I like: Colette, Violet

    boys: Caleb, Joel

    ReplyDelete
  38. I chuckled out loud at the end of this post. I have 3 little girls...Amelia, Tessa, and Lila. And if we ever have a boy his name his name will probably be Mason (or maybe Grant) because my sister "stole" the name Luke :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh funny! [and yes, i'm re-visiting this years later trying to name our twin girls!] i have always loved the name Tess, too! =)

      Delete
  39. Hi, my name is Cara. I'm living in a small "village" called Kommetjie close to Cape Town, South Africa. I just start reading your blog and loving it! If you ever come to South Africa - you must come and visit us!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm pregnant now! And I fell in love with Mckmama's baby boy's name Stellan. And to my suprise my husband loved it too (it's hard to get him to like unique names). So our 3rd son's name (due in April) is Stellan!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment