the islands.


today we went by boat on Lake Victoria to the islands.
Pastor Timothy ministers to the people there and has
planted 60 churches throughout the islands. they have
mud huts, no electricity, no medical care & aside from
a group that recently assisted in bringing clean water to
one of the islands, haven't had assistance from teams in one year. 
it was beautiful and welcoming and heartbreaking and overwhelming
all at the same time.  the thing about being face to face with these
precious people is that you see the overwhelming discrepancies
of what we simply claim as human rights.  
clean water. medical care. access to food. safety.

it is hard to reconcile those discrepancies in our abundance.
it is easy to become overwhelmed.
i look at the limited amount of medical care we were able to give today.
many things it wouldn't have even mattered if i had the right medication
or tools to help them....they would need it on an on-going basis.
they need someone among them.  serving them and teaching
someone from the village alongside of them so they could
eventually take it over.
we need to be among them.
toward the end of our time with the little medical care area that we had
set up under a tree, my mind was racing with the thought of how little
we are truly doing.  i just had to pray that the one wound cleaned, the
one dose of tylenol, the one prayer said with them, the one little piece
of candy handed out, the one pair of flip flops gifted
would remind them that they are loved by someone so much bigger than
all of this....by a God who says that He will not foresake them.
 
it reminded me about how He often uses us in ways that we may never 
even know.  i pray that tiny bandaid we placed on that island today
would point even just one person to His glory.
i pray that as each of the 7 of our team members go out and tell what
we've seen and learned, that a ripple effect can be seen [and unseen]
as more and more people step out in faith. 
because maybe it was just a little bandaid, but God can use it
to lead others to find out how they can use their time and resources.
how you can step out in faith.
i love them.  He loves them more.
goodbye, islands.  i'll be back.
all i know is that injustice can be overwhelming at times,
but i have to remember that He is bigger than it.
i have to remember that stepping out in faith....in action...
is the only thing that we can do.
a little step at a time.

Comments

  1. i love this. i'm so happy you are back, loving them for all of us. i love africa, and you, and i'm so glad that God brought our journeys together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. reading all of your posts while you're in africa is almost more than i can handle...wishing i could be there with you so badly! every time i read your posts and see the pictures of the african people i have to fight back the tears....truly beautiful yet heartbreaking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want you to know I want to go, to get and form a team and go. Who do I contact? I'm serious after much prayer that's all I think about. Blessings and prayers to you. Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. blessings upon HIS people. and those little things, like bandaids and flip-flops are the footprints of God's work at hand and His love.

    continously praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no words except thank you, and I love you. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I love them. He loves them more." Ugh. Thank you for sharing your pictures and your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love! I've LOVED reading these posts! I went with Kim Balts to Uganda this past summer to get sweet Madison:) Uganda is definitely on my heart and I can't wait to get back there. I'm a nurse as well. Please let me know if there's a way I can be involved with your team:)
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  8. "i have to remember that stepping out in faith....in action...
    is the only thing that we can do."

    Thank you for posting while you're away. I pray your words and pictures will stir others as they've stirred me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't commented lately Love, but it's only because I don't have the words. I am so in awe of where you are, and what you're seeing, and what you're doing... it's amazing to me.
    Continued safe travels to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WE need to be among them. AMEN

    ReplyDelete
  11. let us know how we can help, even with a mere donation. thank you for your love. It's all about being of maximum service

    ReplyDelete
  12. i will be organizing donation links and maybe even how to get involved in a team once i'm home. THANK YOU for asking.

    if i haven't answered or you have more specific questions, you can reach me at momentswithlove@gmail.com

    so thankful for you allllllll! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. {tears}

    Thanks for being an example of using your hands and feet for Him. You inspire.

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts