just one day.

even though i "need" a pedicure
and
it's cold & rainy today
and
i have [way too many] pairs of shoes in my closet i could wear....

today i will go without shoes.

even to take the girls to school,
to take ellie to physical therapy,
to play outside in a bit,
and to the grocery store later.


it is for them.
for the children that die every single day simply
because they don't have shoes to protect their feet from 
illness & disease.

it is for us.
to remember our blessings, 
see other's plights
and
move to action.

Comments

  1. Oh, Love. You're beautiful. It was my plan to go without shoes today too and then I woke up to inches and inches of snow. So perhaps, I'll buy a pair of Tom's for Ryan which in turn will provide someone who needs a pair SO badly.

    Bri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. When I was in Ethiopia I was stunned by the conditions that people, young and old walked through everyday without shoes. The need is real and very disturbing when you see it first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you. (And I desperately need a pedicure, too. We should make a date.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard about this on K-LOVE this afternoon...love it! You are a beautiful person, Love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow, you are just too cool. Seriously. What a great example you are for other women as well as for your own children. What a great way to raise awareness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done - you're awesome.
    What kind of reactions did you get? I'm sure it was an effective way to raise awareness and pass along the message!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done - you're awesome.
    What kind of reactions did you get? I'm sure it was an effective way to raise awareness and pass along the message!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicely done - you're awesome.
    What kind of reactions did you get? I'm sure it was an effective way to raise awareness and pass along the message!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! I'm also interested in the reactions. Did you have a lot of opportunities to share?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! We have the choice to wear shoes or not (I rarely wear shoes because I like being barefoot) But just thinking that some do not have the choice to be barefoot, they just HAVE to because their is no other alternative breaks my heart!!!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that we are only a few weeks into spring, and you already have a flipflops tan line.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If only I could have gone to Chicago barefoot! Loved the idea tho!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  14. only ONE person asked me! i was happy to share; they were happy to hear.

    that was until driving our 5 & 6 yr old home from school and answering to them why i didn't have shoes on. {they apparently missed it in the morning!}

    they totally got it & immediately kicked off their shoes. they even did it in the cool, windy weather while we played outside for a bit. THEN, lots-o-people asked. [in the neighborhood] i guess we're so PC these days that it's not okay to question why an adult isn't wearing shoes, but it is to ask a child, "WHERE ARE YOUR SHOES?!"

    i was so proud of the girls. they explained it perfectly. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so, so sad that somehow I missed that this was happening until it was over. :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts