so much of what is right with the world.
I'm {happily} recovering from the surprise shower that we threw for Beth. It was so full of love and fun and everything that is right with the world: babies, friends, family, appreciation, hope, faith and love. I can't wait to meet & love on her baby boy.
[Me, Sarah, Beth, Erin, Stephanie & Donya with Eden]
So, today is filled with spurts of cleaning mixed with time on the floor with our babies.
I have a lot swirling around my head, my heart, these days.
This one has actually been swirling for years, but it has come to the surface the last few months again. We're praying. [still.]
Do you homeschool?
Do you have favorite websites/blogs/resources that you would like to recommend?


Love, I could totally see you homeschooling! I actually have a few friends that might be able to give you some great info!
ReplyDelete#1-where did you get your super cute dress?
ReplyDelete#2-we are swirling the HW idea around in our head too...we do "tot school" stuff from:
http://1plus1plus1equals1.com/TotSchool.html (but she has lots of other info on her site, too)
Right now I am lovin' http://simplehomeschool.net/ because it gives very good overviews on all things homeschool...today's article would be really applicable to you ;)
Best of luck and prayers!
I wish I could help you more, but homeschooling has been on my heart for you. Even from when I first started reading I wondered why you didn't homeschool, and every time you talk about how much you love having all the girls home and when you are sad to see them go to school again, I wonder to myself why you dont homeschool.
ReplyDeleteI hope your prayers are answered soon and clarity comes to you on a decision no matter what it is.
This is my second year homeschooling... homeschooling with many little ones is challenging... to put it mildly! But, I love it, It's worth it and I couldn't imagine NOT doing it. You will do great - and if you ever want to chat let me know!
ReplyDeleteOh, I love that Bianca is nursing in that picture!
ReplyDeleteLove,
ReplyDeleteI homeschooled my girls when they were in K/2 and 1/3 grades. We used Sonlight and I loved it. It was nice because I could teach the girls different subjects together. Lots of fun. You can be the complete set, or bits and pieces. We used Math U See and practiced our AWANA verses for our Bible time.
Paige
I totally could see you homeschooling! I do know that the Chinese Group was planning a big meeting about homeschool resources & co-ops soon! I'll get the contact info for you.
ReplyDeleteSteph
Oh gosh I meant the Chinese TUESDAYS group ...
ReplyDeleteSteph
Have homeschooled the past couple years and each year gets better...very very challenging at times but we all are loving it, planning for next year already. I'll email you some of the websites that I am glued to!
ReplyDeleteWe homeschool, and love it. I was always sad to send my oldest off to school, and to be honest I didn't like what he brought home sometimes. There is a fantastic NW IN yahoo group, offering more field trips/socializing activities than you could ever fit into your days. I love homeschooling with my whole heart and will recommend it at every opportunity. :)
ReplyDeleteI would start by reading around on the Sonlight website. good info and a great way to get your feet wet - with great books. www.sonlight.com
ReplyDeleteThere's a sweet lady at my church who homeschools. She's PRECIOUS and I'm in AWE of her homeschooling self (I'm a public school teacher so it's a new concept to me!) I'd be glad to get her info and pass it to you if you'd like. I'm sure she'd share her insight. :)
ReplyDeleteWe're the accidental homeschooling family, not really accidental, more of never-actually-imagined-we'd-be-doing-this sort.
ReplyDeleteI really, really like the Waldorf method for the littles. I'm not down with that guy's theology, but the schooling is based on routines in our lives, and is very hands-on. My littles are having big fun.
And thanks for your visit to my blog. I don't need any more cough syrup, but I'll never turn down the tea!
Yep, we are homeschooling. I'm actually hosting a "Newbie" Homeschooling Q&A at our house on Thursday night this week. I've asked two veteran moms that I know (and respect) to come and share some of their best thoughts with us.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to put together a hand-out in the next couple days, and I'd be happy to shoot it to you. Also, Jeremy and I are going to the Cincinnati Homeschool Convention in April.
Right now I'm leaning toward Sonlight curriculum for Peyton and Parker next year. Afterwards, I'm very interested in Tapestry of Grace (which promotes the Classical Method).
I'm praying for you. I never imagined that we'd be embarking on this journey either, but now...it just feels right.
This is my 2nd yr of hschooling my oldest(2nd), and the most challenging part for me is managing my tots at the same time (now 2 &4). But I wouldn't change it, I'm still growing and I will get better at time management, right?. We too, chose Sonlight, and Math U See. My 4yo is in pre-K, 3 mornings a week, but I think I'm going to do 4K at home next year (now that he's got the hang of "school"). Even on selfish days when I think, "oh if we move & its a great school district, maybe I'll put him (& my future adopted kids) in school".... Joel quickly lets me know that he wants to continue to homeschool. Then I watch a recording of Glenn Beck and am reminded of reasons 50-100 why I need to be homeschooling, ha!This was definately God's plan, not mine, and the more I surrender the better it gets. I too, circled around the idea for a few years before I took the leap and found peace, I pray that same peace for you.
ReplyDeleteI am nearing the end of my 11th year of homeschooling. Next year, I will graduate my son from an accreditated homeschool program. He will have a cap, gown and diploma -- it will be the day I receive my big fat paycheck for services rendered and a pink slip; mixed blessing! I'd like just one more year to teach all of the things that don't come from a textbook and to dance in the living room! Because my son, as a high school junior, is an independent learner prepping for college, I can't offer much advice as to the early years because it was so long ago. We have had great success with Switched-On-Schoolhouse offered by Alpha Omega, but it available until the 3rd grade. (We used Bob Jones prior to that. It is excellent, but was full of too much busy work.) Sonlight is amazing and works especially well for families schooling different aged children. Check to see if there is a homeschool group in your area that you could become involved in. Check out their website first and make sure that it is a group that fits your family's needs and beliefs. I had no idea that the Wiccan's in our area had their own homeschool co-op and found myself in a group that wasn't right for me for a about a minute!Co-ops offer socialization for children and support for parents. They aren't necessary, but many people find them helpful. Once we found the right group, it was a tremendous blessing...
ReplyDeleteNow that I'm nearing the end of our journey, I can say that homeschooling has been the biggest blessing (and most work) of my life. We chose it so that we could have a rich family life, and that is exactly what it has afforded us. If you start while your children are young, pre-school age, you will learn and grow together and it won't be so overwhelming when it comes time to do it "for real." Check the homeschool laws for your state to see what is actually required of you as it varies from state to state. My most valued advice is that "In order to homeschool, you actually need to stay home." There can be a lot of distractions, even good opportunities, but in order to homeschool well, you must stay home. Praying that the Lord will make His calling regarding your family's schooling abundantly clear. Destiny
thank you all so much! love hearing your experiences!
ReplyDeletelove these pictures!! esp.the breastfeeding one :)
ReplyDeleteAm going to try and put some thoughts in an email and send them. Anything specific you want to know?
ReplyDeleteOooo...we need to talk. :) We've been praying about the same thing. After years of feeling the Lord tugging at my heart to homeschool, we have decided to take the leap of faith. I'd love to hear all the input you receive from others too.
ReplyDeleteI wish you the best as you make this decision.
We're also starting our adoption from Rwanda, so we'll see how this all looks in future months!!
(By the way, we got your cute coffee cuffs in the mail this week and we're so proud to show them off. :)
Yes, we homeschool. This school year we are homeschooling less children. We decided to put the two oldest kids in school for the first time in years.
ReplyDeleteSome great sites:
www.enchantedlearning.com
brain pop
online.culturegrams.com
Thinking about homeschooling all of the kids again next year, but still praying about it. We grew from 3 to 5 pretty fast and are still adjusting. Soon we will have 6. Schooling jr. highers is tough with lots of kids at home.
I agree with the girl that said she couldn't believe you didn't already homeschool...you just have that vibe! :)
ReplyDeleteThese books helped me get started with my planning and organization (had always planned to homeschool since before getting pg, both Nate and I were homeschooled and knew it was the way for us)
http://www.amazon.com/Homeschooling-Handbook-2nd-Mary-Griffith/dp/0761517278
http://www.amazon.com/Homeschooling-Take-Deep-Breath-This/dp/0972807152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268757607&sr=1-1
This book is a go-to for me when I feel overwhelmed or need to refresh, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/Help-Harried-Homeschooler-Practical-Balancing/dp/0877887942/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268757637&sr=1-1
And I love this site's weekly e-newsletters you can sign up for. The one called something like "Homeschooling, The First Year" has been especially helpful for me.
http://www.homeschooltoday.com/
Blessing in your decision, I know you and Matt will make the choice that's right for your family, and if it's homeschooling...get ready for an incredible ride :)
I can't believe that I missed this post! I'm praying for you, if you pray for me, lol! I've had this on my heart for the last year or so, and may be getting close to deciding.
ReplyDeleteIt won't be understood by many close to us like our families if we do decide to go this route, but I'm confident to do what God calls us to.
I've been led to so many blogs this year of women who homeschool. It's been a blessing to see their daily ups and downs. I will (do) feel overwhelmed in the decision and the thought of doing it "right", but know that it's a learning experience from year-to-year just like anything in parenting. I feel like I evolve every day in the ways I think, parent, and the vison I have for our family. I feel that what the children gain from being at home learning and building close bonds with family and siblings will be so much of a bigger gain than how I could "mess" them up!
Right now, I'm leaning toward My Father's World if I decide this direction. I would only be starting with K and preschool, though, as Bella is still 5 and Lincoln is almost 4. I feel it's a good jumping off age. I do need to look into other curriculums more and research a lot more, though. Best of luck!! Please keep us all updated!