comfort

we're spending our last weeks [days?] all snuggled together
in the white rocker of the babies' room.
grabbing at my necklace,
she fills her belly.
comforts her soul.

and my soul, too.
knowing we've had this precious time.
this time despite 2 trips to a different continent.
despite a separation for her sister's hospital stay.
we've had this time for just the two of us.

time alone
in what is sometimes a 
loud, busy household.
[and always an uncertain, busy outside world.]
we've had this time.
to comfort.

each other.

Comments

  1. Great thoughts on breastfeeding! I feel the same way. My little guy is still breastfeeding (he's 16 months) and it's sad thinking that it will end soon, but I'm grateful that we had this time, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me heart ache for you. Closing that chapter is so bittersweet. Especially if this will be your last breastfed child.
    I am so glad I didn't know the last time would be the last.. and that I dont remember the last time.
    All I have are good memories.
    My first child has taught me to treasure those moments more with the next one. I never appreciated it enough and often complained about it. Never again (well probably I will complain alittle) but I promise to appreciate it so much more next time. That time goes by so fast.. its so nice just to sit and thinking of nothing but you and them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so we finished last week and I'm all dried up but I could swear I just lactated reading this. :-) So beautiful. And makes me sad, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This chokes me up. You have a way with words that just pulls at the heart.

    I love you and you are an amazing mother (and photographer and interior designer)

    much love to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can so relate...to all of that! precious, quiet moments in a loud, busy house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so beautiful. I only wished I had cherished that time more with my girls. Ariel weaned herself and I felt like I had no time to prepare.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are such an amazing mother!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean. Gracie is creeping up on 1, and we just found out we are expecting #3 in October! Weening is in our near future, but I love that alone time with her. Im thinking of just making it rocking chair time instead of food time. **sigh...**

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot tell you how much I miss nursing my babies...

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh it's so bittersweet!! it still feels so different not nursing gretchen anymore. it's been two and a half mos now but i am not 'over it'!!
    i love the pic of bianca nursing, you told me i should have done that! i will next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post. I'm having some of the same thoughts and emotions. My other girls were weaned around 13 months, but this baby, my supposed last, I just can't fathom ending our nursing experience, knowing it's the end of that era for me. She just nurses 2-3 times a day, but quite vigorously, so hopefully we have a little more time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a special time, I hope I get the chance to connect like that with my child one day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It broke my heart to stop nursing and I had to stop early on. I bet it's even harder the longer you nurse.

    Nell

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts