five.

i was at work.  a midnight shift.  daddy was home with your big sister, chloe.  she was 14 months old.  i remember the exact feeling of cupping my hand around your tiny, little booty on the upper, right side of my huge, tight-skinned belly. 


it was a slow night at the hospital.  you and i walked laps and ate crushed ice.  you hiccuped inside of me.  just like you did so much of every single day you hid away in there.  i finally told the other nurses that i was in labor, but they thought i was silly since we weren't supposed to meet you for 3 more weeks.  finally, 6 hours into my shift, i told them that i needed someone else to be in charge of the floor.  i needed to walk down a flight of stairs to labor and delivery.  [they still thought i was silly.]


i remember wanting to give my patients their final medications for my shift, so i did so before i left.  i remember walking into room 315 bed 1 and she complained because i was 5 minutes late with her pill.  [kinda having a baby, lady.  gimme a little break?!]  i walked down that flight of stairs and found out that i was 5 cm.  


daddy came up.  we walked.  we rocked.  nana drove up.  aunt stol drove up.  we guessed if you were a boy or girl.  we laughed how you were due on nana's birthday, but would share a birthday with papaw.  i got an epidural.  it worked for 2 hours.  then, it didn't.  your water broke.  it all happened so quickly then.  except the doctor.  she was not quick.  i "blew away" the urge to push for 19 minutes.  [what was i thinking?!]  then the doctor got there.  


AND.THERE.YOU.WERE.  it's a girl!


it's a girl? it's a girl?  i can't believe it's a girl!  i can't believe it's a girl!  i'm SO happy you're a girl!  


i repeated that over and over and over.  sisters.  you made chloe a sister.  one that could have a sister for a best friend forever and ever.




our sweet little, teeny-tiniest anika taylor.  we welcomed you to the world 5 years ago.  happiest of birthdays, my little love.  may you always be so compassionate.  so spunky.  so full of hope.  so filled with love.

Comments

  1. she is so cute. Hope the little one is doing good still after surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Sweet!!! Thanks for sharing! I'm a nurse too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never get over how gorgeous your girls are.

    Happy Birthday sweet Anika!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to my cookie dough eating partner in crime! I loved reading about her birth. You're amazing, working until you were 5cm! Give her a birthday hug and kiss from me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to one of the cutest little things I've ever seen. IN.MY.LIFE.

    Bri

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope she has the best of birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s. Blowing away the urge to push for 19 minutes!? My word. I couldn't even make it down the stairs without pushing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Anika! Great story. I'm a nurse, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to the sweet birthday girl!! Sisters ROCK :)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday, Anika!

    What a sweet post, sweet Mama. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great.... Happy B-day sweet one...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What awesome pics!! What a cutie, kj

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved reading this post. So sweet. And that last short-hair-sassy-picture: my fave!

    So glad that Ellie is home, and that her foot is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, how have I missed this?! She is so beautiful and special and I hope you guys had the best day celebrating such a wonderful little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated birthday Anika....I hope your 5th year will be your best yet! Much love from Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just too cute, happy 5th! Thank you for taking the time to send me a note on the stencils. How sweet of you to think of me when you have other things to be thinking about, hope she is doing well!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts