Speaking out about Hyperemesis Gravidarum

A week ago, I showed this picture on instagram of arrows that I have to
represent our children in reference to Psalm 127.  
Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him.  Like arrows 
in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth.  Blessed is the one 
whose quiver is full of them. Psalm 127:3-5a.  
You'll notice that there are 10 arrows and we are so grateful & excited that we will be 
welcoming a new baby in September!

I'm thankful for everyone sharing in our joy and I want to share more about
a condition that I have with pregnancy.  It's something that's widely misunderstood
and is hard to talk about.  In my previous pregnancies, I had no desire to talk
about it publicly as I was literally just fighting for the babies and I to survive.
This time, due to a lot of research, experience and education, I was able
to start a vitamin regimen even prior to pregnancy that helped my body fight it.
Then, was able to start on medication specifically for this condition upon
its first symptoms.  My symptoms begin before I'm even able to get a positive
pregnancy test.  

Hyperemesis Gravidarum [HG] is a debilitating and potentially life-threatening 
pregnancy disease that affects 0.5%-2% of women.  It is marked by rapid weight
loss, malnutrition, and dehydration due to unrelenting nausea &/or vomiting. 

Having HG has been hard for me to talk about.  It can be a really dark place
to desperately love and want your baby, but also feel like dying for 36 or so
weeks.  Although it isn't a choice I would ever personally make, I remember
feeling such relief 10 years ago to hear my doctor once say that 1 in 7 women who 
have hyperemesis choose to electively abort their pregnancy due to the condition.
It sounds so sick of me to feel relief with that and I pray that I'm not misunderstood
there.  I grieve for those moms and their babies.  Yet, it validated how terribly
awful and dark this condition truly is.  You can read an article about that here.

Each of my 6 pregnancies have been slightly different and it is different for
every woman, but the best way that I can explain it is that I literally just
puke all day.  On an exceptional day, it is about 5-6 times and on bad days, it
is 20-30 times.  The bad days tend to come in cycles and the cycle is hard
to break.  I've taken oral medication formulated for chemotherapy patients
with nausea, been to the hospital numerous times for IV fluids, had to have
nutrition through a PICC line when I couldn't get it orally, had a pump that
I poked into my thighs daily to continuously deliver anti-nausea medications
and some of the darkest days of my life.  

It is often tricky because the cycles don't come with any rhyme or reason
and many times when I can keep something down, it isn't anything that you
would imagine would sound good to someone who has been so sick.
It is debilitating to your life and effects the whole family.  That adds another layer
of shame and guilt as you watch it turn your family life upside down.
It is hard to reach out for help when you're in survival mode and in all honesty,
I cannot imagine someone in our home at my worst.  
9 weeks with baby #10. Despite having lost 5 lbs so far, my body knows what to do to keep baby healthy.
Despite still having some hard days, I am extremely grateful that the condition
is much more under control this pregnancy. Matt has stepped up to cover
many of the areas that I just can't right now & the kids are chipping in even
more, too.  I want to speak out about this because many times we are told that
this is what every woman goes through.  I've been a nurse on floor with ladies
experiencing hyperemesis and it's so misunderstood--even in the medical 
community.  I'm in a private support group on Facebook and my heart breaks
to listen to other women experiencing HG and often not getting support &
care they need.  My faith & the blessing of a new, teeny, tiny life within 40 weeks 
is always what keeps me going, but I'd be lying if I didn't say even that was 
really hard to cling to in the worst moments.  

If you or someone you know is experiencing hyperemesis,
please reach out.  Keep seeking help and know that you aren't alone.
You can learn more & get support by clicking the HER foundation button below.

Comments

  1. My prayers go out to you to be well and keep the cycles away. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I missed your announcement and wanted to say congrats, mama! Secondly, I am so thankful you are speaking about this. I was so sick with the twins, but not to the point of having HG. I truly, truly cannot imagine how hard it would be to make it through each pregnancy - and then to not have people believe or understand what you are going through? How devastating. I am so glad that so far things are a little better this time. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never even heard of that, so thank you for sharing! I had a super easy pregnancy (compared to many women) and I still felt awful most of the time. I can't imagine going through that, especially when all you want to do is be excited for your little one! So many prayers headed your way- I hope that the next several months fly by so you can finally meet him/her and be back to feeling great <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so so much for sharing. i am pregnant with my third and have had hyperemesis everytime. it's so hard to explain to people that somedays you just feel ok and the next days you fall into that cycle....so hard to get out of. it can feel so isolating when people don't really get what its like to be so so sick but it is so so worth it. i would love a big family and every pregnancy can feel daunting but i know God has a plan! this one has been especially hard-we are living out of state with no friends or family + new dr's + it's been a struggle to get care + go without iv's so this post was perfect timing! and i can totally relate to not wanting help--I just want to be left alone! it's hard to not be able to be there for your family like you are used too! prayers for you and this baby and your sweet family--

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure if my comment made it here! I miss you so much and wish I could be there for Walgreen's runs and porch drops!!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you don't know me, but I saw your post via a mutual friend, Anna Walker. HG was a terrible experience. I love being a mom, but I don't know how I will ever be pregnant again. I will be praying for you. It is such a long and hard journey, one that taught me so much about endurance that I never wanted to know. PS: Can you share your vitamin regimen? I've been researching for the next around. If you don't want to share here, please feel free to email at: chrissy.k.young@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you need anything, please let me know. I send my love and prayers for lots of good days...And congrats on your baby blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this! I had HG with my last pregnancy with twins, though not as severe as yours. I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed for the first three plus months of pregnancy. I went to the doctors multiple times for IVs. But my doctor never mentioned that it was HG. I didn't find out until I was on hospital bed rest at the end of my pregnancy. I had to switch OBs because my OB didn't deliver at the hospital where I needed to deliver for my high risk babies and my new OB said "Oh, I didn't realize that you had HG!" It was like a light bulb went off! Suddenly I didn't feel so weak! It wasn't that I was weak and lazy with this pregnancy, I really was that sick, it was a real thing. And what you said about abortion is so true! I would never abort my babies, but there were so many times I wished I wasn't pregnant and then immediately felt guilty. Thank you again. We don't know each other, but I've been following your blog for years. I really appreciate your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the new baby! And thank you (as always) for your honestly here. Your children are being shown so much through your sacrifice and suffering for another's life. I cannot imagine having such ridiculously hard pregnancy and still being able to say yes to God in expanding your family. Thank you for allowing Jesus to use your life to teach us all. {and also I cannot wait to see the darling pictures of the older children snuggling this new little one. your family is so lovely to watch grow.}

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment