I want to be a #styleforjustice story teller.

take a group of storytellers to Rwanda.  Here is part of their announcement:

This summer, we're fusing fashion and justice as Noonday Collection partners with 
International Justice Mission for the #StyleForJustice Story Team Trip to Rwanda. 
Join us as we journey with a group of storytellers in order to spread the word that 
when we use our purchasing power for good and pursue the cause of justice, hope 
for the poor is possible. 

The team currently consists of many names you might know: Jen Hatmaker,
Jennie Allen, Kelle Hampton, Raechel Myers, Emily Lex, Jessica Honegger,
Paige Knudsen & Wynne Elder.  There is one spot left that they are giving away!
The 7 people with the most votes will be reduced to 3 by a panel and then
those 3 will be released for public voting again to see who wins the spot.

I've entered with a video and I'd truly love your vote every day through May 28th. 
HERE is a direct link to my video where you can vote.  
Scroll to the bottom & give it a few seconds to load.  The
blue vote button should change to say 'voted' if it worked. 

 The videos could only be 1 minute and while I spoke super quickly to get in as 
much as possible, I'd love to share a few more things with you as to why 
I want to go on this trip.
I believe in what both Noonday Collection and IJM are doing.
Noonday is creating sustainable incomes for women around the world
by giving them a marketplace for their unique, stylish items here.  It also
creates a sisterhood for this women, educational opportunities and allows
them to know, or grow in their relationship with, Christ.  This is not a 
hand out or a poorly designed short term aid.  It is simply an outstretched hand
to a sister to help her amplify her voice and create a long term solution.
I'd encourage you to look at the 'impact' tab on their website to learn more. 

Violence, rape, abuse, trafficking and slavery are real threats to much of the
world especially those that live in poverty.  IJM partners with local authorities 
to rescue & restore victims, bring justice to criminals & strengthen the justice 
systems. The problem is bigger than most of us can even fathom & I'd urge you 
to visit their site to learn more about how they are a needed, vital, exceptional
 part of the solution.  

I love the world, its people & cultures.
I don't want to go to Rwanda to save it.  I don't see this as some rescue mission.
I also don't see this as some tourist trip to go feel better about my life & privileges.  
I have definitely learned through the years that people are people and I love them.
People in different cultures often have things quite right and do not need my 
idea of how they could do something better or more efficiently.  I've come to 
love the value placed on relationship over efficiency in Uganda.  In fact, I 
now find it quite efficient.  I think when we look at things from a friendship and
partnering with or empowering standpoint, everyone benefits so much more. 
God is the only Rescuer--here and around the world.  
Love God, love others.  That's all I want to do.  

I believe in the power of stories.
I remember in 4th grade when I suddenly realized that I couldn't really know a 
person just from looking at them or knowing a bit about them.  I decided at that
young age that we could never fully know another person's story.  As I grew,
this manifested in a deep love and grace for people.  Of course I'm not perfect
and I get it wrong a lot of the time.  I do try to always give people benefit of the
doubt and I love learning true, authentic, raw, this-shaped-me stories.
It's one of the biggest reasons I love the show I direct here in NW Indiana, 
Listen To Your Mother, so much.  It's why I love blogging and social media.
It's why I'm terrible at small talk and the friendships that are the most real 
and special to me are few, but deep.  I believe in the people of Rwanda's 
stories.  It is a country that I see so much resolve, redemption & resilience 
in.  I'd be honored to help share some of their stories so that all of YOU 
could see how you could come alongside them & help empower them, too.

I'd love your vote & if you'd like, please feel free to use this image to put on your
social media sites to help me spread the word.  I know that God has already
picked the person He wants to go and I rest in that.  If it happens to be me,
I'm excited to take you along virtually!  Thank you for so much
love and support through the years!









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts