packing my tambourine.


i sat on the edge of her bed after my weekend away that was meant to 
refresh, encourage and equip adoptive moms.  it had done just that and in those
quiet moments of our regular alone time with my 2 biggest girls, one asked
what did you learn there, mom?

it was too much to explain right then.  where do i even start?  i began to think of
what i could share with them.  as she settled into her bed & shimmied down 
into the covers, she pulled out something from behind her back & placed it
on the ground.  it was a small, purple tambourine.
i smiled.  God is so faithful & loving.  He is always in the details.
i was thrilled to share this with them:

can you guess what the Israelite women packed to take with them when God
freed them from captivity after hundreds of years?  what are some things you
would make sure to pack?  they didn't know exactly where they were going or
what it would be like there.  they didn't know how they would cross that mighty
sea or how they wouldn't be caught & taken back into slavery.  they had no
idea what freedom looked like. they had spent hundreds of years in exile & 
experienced such loss and grief as their babies were taken. yet, they trusted the Lord, 
packed up and began their journey to freedom.  they packed quickly--even leaving food 
that they were in the process of making. but, do you know what they packed very intentionally?

they packed tambourines.  
they packed their instruments not knowing exactly how God was going to 
fulfill His promise to them, but ready to praise Him when He did.

and, girls, we can do that, too.  this thing our family is walking?  
it is God's journey for us and we can believe that He doesn't make mistakes.
we get the privilege of walking and trusting even if we don't see how he's
going to do it. we can believe that He is good and with us even in the storm.
we can expect Him to part the sea at just the right time.

 we can pack our tambourines, too--
hopefully expectant.  
ready to praise Him.  

------------------
the speaker God used to speak these truths to me was Beth Guckenberger.
i'm looking forward to checking out her ministry and books

Comments

  1. Thank you Love for sharing your heart! This spoke to me more then I can express right now. God is good all the time, and I want to be ready to praise Him at any moment, even in the midst of the uncertainty of my life. Thank you for this beautiful illustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome. Glad it spoke to you as it did me. I'm going to pray for you now. :)

      Delete
  2. My family has had the wonderful privilege of going to Mexico with back2back. They are a wonderful organization. Her book Tales of the Not Forgotten is great! We did it with our kids leading up to our Mexico trip. Thanks for the encouragement today! Our family is headed to Uganda for spring break so this speaks to me. Love following you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lovelyn - I don't think we actually met this past weekend, or I'm sure that I would remember your beautiful name, but I was a volunteer, helping Virginia, in the "Date with God' room - what a blessing!
    I also just wanted you to know what a blessing this post is to me. I used to praise God through interpretive, warfare and various dancing in our previous church and still have some opportunities to minister this way at various women retreats, or in my home - with just Jesus and me - so you can imagine how much the tambourine means to me - whether I actually use the instrument or not, when I dance - it is symbolic of the freedom to praise Him! Thank you for your insight, because I am always 'expecting' opportunities to praise Him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so encouraging to read! I am instantly blessed by the way you lead your children towards the Gospel. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovelyn, that is crazy!! Love it! I definitely need to buy a tambourine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such an amazing heart !

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's beautiful, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Thank you so much for this message. We find ourselves again fostering to adopt. This time not a baby but a young teen. It is such an emotional scary journey. Thank you for reminding me to pack my tambourine!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts