heart.

You all know I'm a lover of adoption when it is best for the child. I also am a fierce 
protector of children & their personal journeys. So, while you'll never hear me talk 
specifics about the hard, don't be disillusioned. Adoption is based on loss and there is 
much hard in it. 

Please excuse the somewhat crude analogy, but when you adopt an 
older child (most waiting children ARE older children) it is somewhat like an arranged 
marriage at first. Learning about each other, understanding each other's views on 
life & how to love.  Maybe even more odd are the times coming into this "arrangement" 
where a person who fully, whole-heartedly loves them.  That can be hard for kids to
navigate.  So, we do this sweet dance called attachment and figure it out as 
we go.  The lows can be heart-breaking, but the highs?  They are so sweet.  It 
is a taste of redemption.  Not from us.  We are not the saviors.  The Lord is.  
Any good in me that's been poured out is only Him.  Any love that's flowed 
over?  Only him.  

So, to smell the beauty of Uganda coming from our
kitchen as our oldest boy prepared dinner for his family was a blessing
to my heart.  As I came down the stairs to everyone else sitting down
at the table with their rice, beans and circle-shaped chapati,
Nico said, I made you a special chapati, Mom.  
And, well, I never knew a piece of food could hold so much
love and emotion.  Rejoicing in all His gifts today.




Comments

  1. Oh gosh, so beautiful. Your family is blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet is that???? I too think of it more like a marriage…. it's weird to think that way but it's true. It's also a dance…. a careful dance. Love you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost cried. I'm rejoicing with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me cry. Love you and that sweet boy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. just like a couple other who commented above, i almost cried! who knew chapati could do that!? any picture that you post when nico in it, shows how incredible he is! that genuine smile on his face and those wise eyes...he is definitely someone special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! What a statement of love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh how special! LOVE this so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i really love it when you share theses glimpses of grace in adoption. when we see the beauty outweigh the hard. XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully written!!!! Precious moment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As we prepare to begin our own dance(s!) in the coming months, I am grateful for both the truth and the sweet gifts that you share. This is such a place of encouragement; thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty much want to bawl at this, friend. Look at what He's doing - beauty from ashes, Only He can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, so sweet. I totally get it. Just when you think you're at your wit's end, He gives you strength and courage and reassurance!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow. just wow. amazing how so much meaning can be packed into some bread and that sweet act of love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amen! I'll never forget the day P told me, after weeks of eating fishsticks, that she didn't like fishsticks. I knew she felt safe enough to tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is so beautiful. just finished interning at an orphanage in south african and i was so touched by all the older child adoptions going out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts