sensibility.

we were at the library earlier and it reminded me of these pictures that
have been sitting on my camera.  i lost my camera cord for a bit so i had a lot
of treasures waiting to be downloaded.  such sweet little surprises to pull up
on my screen; even the 2 weeks ago version of the kids is different than now.
it's harder to see growth and change until it's frozen like that sometimes.

 we've withdrawal from our public on-line curriculum with the 3 oldest kids.  
  we are doing a hodge-podge of curriculum and a lot of life learning/unschooling.  
i haven't felt this right about schooling in a long time.  

as i taught the kids how to look up books by subject, find a call number and they excitedly 
collected their books about outer space today, my whole spirit breathed a sigh of relief.
i loved having them home and when the teaching came naturally.  i did not love the force
and the pressure that came with the word public and being forced to have 3 separate 
grade levels.  so, things are changing in our house again.  always. 
i'm very much looking forward to it.

[books are from Zulily. that's a referral link. :) ]

Comments

  1. I'm always glad to read posts of things that didn't go well as much as things that did. I have the tendency to want to do everything, especially with home school stuff. But I'm glad you are settling into something new and enjoying it. Let us know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. unschooling has always seemed golden and wonder-filled to me. i can't wait to experience this vicariously through you...makes me wish i'd been braver with my small folk.

    love the twins' early fascination with books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumped for you, my friend. You're gonna do great at it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've been called an "unschooler" lately and i wouldn't have it any other way - though that is not the label i would use :)

    i just love being free to adapt to my children's needs, to have the freedom to explore, to learn about the world in a visceral way that will have lasting impressions on them. and yes, i love school soooo much more when we are simply living life and loving learning together.

    while we have our hodgepodge of curriculum as well, and we've slowly developed a daily routine...though i think the "unschooling" definition comes because if the kids are suddenly curious about the missions - we hit the road and visit one, or go see a giraffe at the zoo because my daughter wants to get better at drawing them.

    the pace of our day has changes and the possibilities for learning and teaching are now almost limitless when we let go of all the restrictions and expectations. and at the end of the day i have smart, capable kids who know how to let things go to spend a day in the service of others.

    sorry for blathering, but you spoke to my soul. i doubt myself at times and hearing your relief, the weight lifting - i feel that too and needed to be reminded of why what we're doing is so important.

    okay, i'm going back to my non-commenting status.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the library! We used to go all the time, and then Kaish went through that stage where the library wasn't cool any more. I am so glad he is finally coming out of it. I love being in the presence of all those words.

    So thankful your schooling is working again. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wondered what you did at home, but didn't get a chance to ask. We're pretty eclectic and I love it. Sometimes I don't love it, then I have to tweak things again. The way of life, right? Glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts