sling diaries :: beauty

 sometimes, i look at our kids and panic about all the things they need to learn still;
i panic about all the things i still need to teach them.  i'm not talking about properly
conjugating verbs or geometry.  i'm talking about the real stuff.  

i realize emelia & evie are only 7 months, yet i can blink my eyes and our 9 year old
is 7 months again.  she is our only child & i sit on the floor playing with her and reading
to her for hours a day.  we then grab a snack & take a nap on the couch together.
for as long as we want.
8 additional children later and i certainly do not nap.  ever.
so how much more quickly will the next 9 years pass?  

there are things they need to know.
i want them to never fully trust the person who is rude to the wait staff.
to always keep restaurant gift cards in their car to give to someone who needs it.
to realize a book really can take them anywhere.
they should know that doctors just don't know things like a mama does sometimes.
that what we do is more important than what we say.

i want to teach them how to change the subject from gossiping.
how to believe the best about people.
that a brand new box of crayons and a roll of white craft paper is medicine.
i want them to know road trips really are more fun without that silly TV.
to know never to judge anyone--we can never know anyone's full story.
that His grace is unending.

they need to know that a person's heart is more important than any object.
that this journey doesn't have mistakes in it.  
i need them to know that beauty is found everywhere--
it's in them, in the everyday moments, in the heart of gratitude.
it is there--if only they choose to see it.


::::::::::
this post is the last installment of Sling Diaries: volume II--chronicling the art of babywearing
in 15 families.  you can see more on the facebook page and pinterest.
i'm so grateful for this opportunity.  thank you, Sakura Bloom, for these gorgeous slings that keep
our precious babies close and for the push to chronicle these beautiful, all-to-quickly-gone moments.

photos by my friend, liz.

Comments

  1. what a post! i feel so much of the same. i want my kiddos to know that not a single one of us is out of God's reach. that the tone of your voice communicates more than the words themselves. that no material item is too precious to share (because the person you're sharing with is worth so much more). that no one should have to mourn (or rejoice) alone.

    so much to teach that i'm still learning myself. i'm so glad He helps us in this parenting journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoops, i'm not really Unknown. just Forgetful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO true! I feel so much like you. Life is speeding by and the kids and I are talking about making our short little 'blip' on earth about the outpouring of love, than about our moments of being tired, cranky and too busy to notice others needs. We have 6 under 12 and the oldest is about to turn 13!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is my favorite post on motherhood lately. It just speaks to my heart.
    Oh, how reading this makes me wish I lived much closer so I could come see your LTYM show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post on motherhood.

    I adore the photo of you nursing your girls. Their little hands intertwined. Be still my heart.

    Bri

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what to say...I have tears.... Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many things to show little ones about the world - I love that you've made me such a lovely list! Thank you xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your writing is amazing and inspiring. And those pics of you and your sweet kids are gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have yet to comment, but I LOVED this post. So beautiful. I love the picture of you with all your children sitting on the bed. So real and lovely. My husband is from a huge family (MIL is pregnant with the 11th) and I love each and every one of them. Thanks for sharing your sling diaries! So lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this has given me chills. Just lovely. All wonderful reminders of what this motherhood journey is about. And that last picture that is *beauty*.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What is amazing are this photos, yet it's your words in this post I keep coming back to. There are things I still don't know: how does one change a conversation from gossip? You Love are amazing. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful words ;) so glad to have done this with you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are all gorgeous of you, and the fam, and well done sweet Liz, you captured everything SO perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing post! Just reading you for the first time. Thanks for sharing! I am expecting twins in August. Just wondering what slings you have on in the pictures! Would love to carry both - you look so comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Teaching values and life lessons is the most challenging and important thing for us to do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment