sling diaries :: tradition
i love and believe that quote up there. in every conceivable manner, the
family is the link to our past and bridge to our future. we're doing as much
as we can to have those links & bridges filled with love, but i'm not naive
enough to believe that we're probably doing a lot of things wrong.
i'm thankful for grace and hopeful that these nine little people bond
together in the common belief that even through those 'wrong ways'
our family is pretty awesome.
we link them together with tiny traditions.
kisses on the bridge of their nose,
Ugandan food night, bedtime squeezes, family dance parties, new year's eve
appetizer parties, church on sunday, candy factory after Outback cheese fries,
saving our loose change all year to give chickens/seeds/goats from a catalog
to an impoverished family, Jesus Storybook Bible, clapping at dinner until
the person that made it stands on a chair to bow, Operation Christmas
Child boxes, Yahtzee around the round table and
donuts from Chuck's on Saturday.

sometimes matt sneaks out before anyone has stirred on saturday morning.
he returns with a big, white box of the most delicious donuts.
for real. i think Chuck's glazed cake donut could go up
against any other bakery's and win. hands down.
the cinnamon swirl one? amazing.
ridiculous in the best possible way.
but, sometimes we venture there, too.
the kids line up and point to which one they want.
they affectionately call the lady 'the donut lady' as she greets them all
and marvels how the kids have grown and how our family has grown
they grab a little carton of chocolate milk & a seat next to one of the regulars.
verna is 88 and has 3 great grandchildren. she doted over bianca's curls, emmy in
her big sister chloe's sling and our big family.
i hope these little traditions give them each love, security and a sense of belonging.
that they link us all together as we grow.
that someday, say 20 years from now, we'll all merge back together here....
bigs and littles of all sizes and buy Chuck's bakery out of cake glazed donuts
to bring back to our big, round table where we'll sit and talk and laugh and eat
together.
::::::::::
this post is a part of Sling Diaries: volume II--chronicling the art of babywearing








Oh how I miss Chuck's and I love all of these images of your beautiful family.
ReplyDeleteI love how your oldest is wearing a baby! I had my neice wearing my 5 week old this past weekend when she came to visit. She thought it was AWESOME :)
ReplyDeleteSo sweet! I loved seeing your daughter carry her little sister in her own sling! How sweet.
ReplyDeleteMy 4 yr old asked the other day if he can carry the twins when they come <3
you're family is rad and i love getting little peeks into your days & your heart through your writing! =)
ReplyDeleteThis post made me teary eyed. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteAs always, beautiful. I know life is hectic, chaotic and often not idyllic. But, I love how you choose to focus on the positive. I know that behind the smiles are struggles, but I adore your sweet family. You help me on my hardest days to remember how lucky I am and to know I am not alone in this parenting journey. xoxo
ReplyDeleteSometimes I'm totally overwhelmed with the four littles I have. And then I read this, and start to think that maybe there is more room. Life is so beautiful, and you make me realize it! Thank You!
ReplyDeleteGosh, Love! I am all choked with tears, and now they are pooling in my eyes. YES!
ReplyDeleteHi! I love your blog... I've been an avid follower for quite sometime :) I recently started my own blog (3 posts so far!) about my life, my family, motherhood, etc. It is new and I do not have any followers yet. Would you like to follow/subscribe to my blog? In case you are wondering, I am a mother to 7 (almost 8 children!), including 4 biological children and 4 adopted children. I also homeschool and have two children with special needs. I plan to blog about everything I just mentioned. Would LOVE if you'd follow/subscribe/spread the word about my blog!
ReplyDeleteThis post made me tear up just thinking about the relationship I have (and so dearly cherish) with my younger brother. Such a beautiful family, Love!
ReplyDeleteWhen I saw the pictures of Chloe carrying Emmy in the sling, I teared up and felt lie my heart was going to explode! How wonderfully sweet.
ReplyDeleteOh!
ReplyDeleteYour shirt is so pretty : )
Your kids? SO ADORABLE I can't even stand it.
What a fun tradition.
I love Verna. 88 is impressive.
Your love is impressive.
Thank you for doing what you do. Every day. I know it has to be hard sometimes. I am thankful there is someone like you.
Beautiful in every way.
Wishing you the happiest Sunday tomorrow. May your day be filled with love.
I always love coming to visit. You make my day.
Love, Becky
So so sweet, Lovelyn. I admit, food is a big part of our family "bridges" as well. ; ) Wonderful memories.
ReplyDeleteWe love Chucks!! Our favorite for weekend breakfast:) your family is the most adorable, and to see your older ones carry your little ones blesses my heart.
ReplyDeleteMy sister is expecting twins..her 4th and 5th daughters. She has some questions for you about nursing two. Although she has tried to contact you through your 'contact me' button, she is unable to through outlook. Would you be so kind as to email her: keseiter@gmail.com? Her name is Karen. Thank you!
ReplyDelete