sowing life into broken spirits.

i have a special story to share with you today
from one of my friends.  mandie joy been such a blessing to 
many.  to me, specifically, she has challenged me, cheerled for 
me, been a confidant & always, always points me to Jesus.
the very best kind of friend.
here's mandie:

::::::::::

Do you guys remember when Love said this:  
I’ve discovered that this act of mothering is my worship to him right now. 
Oh it’s messy and sloppy sometimes. There is failure, yet forgiveness and 
grace and growing.

Well, those words spoke to a lot of mothers, myself included.

Most people don’t think of me as a mom, but Love is among the few who always 
has. These words resonated deeply with me because I’ve lived them and I know so 
many mothers (of all kinds) who model this approach to motherhood so well. 
Love is one of them. 

There’s a back-door kind of motherhood that doesn’t get talked about 
very often. There are women in the world who do all the things mothers do, but 
know that one day, the hand they’re holding will have to be placed in someone else’s. 
We know our time with each child is precious and limited, but for that moment – 
those days – we’re the mom. 

I stumbled onto foster parenting accidentally, but within a few days of meeting 
my first children it was clear that this journey would capture my heart. Each minute 
with those children felt sacred – the rebuilding of dreams dashed and boundaries 
broken – an opportunity to sow life into broken spirits. I’ve been broken many times in 
my own life, maybe not in the same way as the children, but enough to know how hard it 
is to decide to open up again. Their resilience and willingness to trust me challenged me 
in my own healing. The moments when they rejected my gestures of love sent me running 
to my Heavenly Father, thanking him for continuing to reach out to me.
It’s true what they say. It isn’t easy to love children whole-heartedly when you know 
they could leave at any moment. It’s hard to tell them about unconditional love and
 then stand by helplessly as they’re placed back in a home you wouldn’t have chosen 
for them. It’s hard to learn how to process grief when so few people 
understand what it’s like.

But what I’ve learned (7 years and 15 children later) is that they didn’t ask to
 be in this situation. They’re usually confused and frustrated with adults and desperate 
for someone to look them in the eye and say, 
I believe in you. I won’t hurt you. I’m with you in this.”

As hard as it is to give my heart and energy to a child without knowing how
 long we have together, my trust is in a God who has proven himself good again 
and again, even in the messiest parts of my life. I can tell them about him – that he 
was the one who committed them to me for a season. He is the one who has 
committed himself to them for a lifetime. That’s where I can rest. That’s where 
I can draw energy for one more day and one more sweet little one.
That’s why I can continue loving. 

Love has graciously allowed me to take her beautiful quote and design it for 
you to print. All of the proceeds from my Etsy shop are used to pay rent so that I 
can work very part time and spend the bulk of my time with the precious children 
God sends my way. Each purchase makes me a little bit giddy with excitement. :) 

::::::::::

below is one of the colors available for this quote in Mandie Joy's shop.
i'm humbled that it's spoken to some of you and pray that it also
can help my friend's journey as she begins fostering children 
again.  i've seen her mother these children and it is a special
gift that she has to be used to help them feel love, trust and
joy again.  what a precious ministry she has.

you can shop from her store HERE.
HERE is a direct link to the art she made from my quote.
and receive 25% off with the code LOVE25.

Comments

  1. Thank you Love for posting this and thank you mandie for your words! For the last 3 years, I've worked in an orphanage asia and can very much relate to pouring yourself into children who have been hurt and traumatized and not knowing how long you have with them. I've said the agonizing goodbye, both back to families I wouldn't have chosen and to adoptive families. It is so true to say that most people don't understand, and is so encouraging to come across the rare people that 'get it', that understand our hearts through this and recognize the calling the Lord has place on our lives. Blessings to you both! ~ To God Be the Glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, what precious gifts you are giving. glad mandie's words could bless you and make you feel less alone. i understand that sometimes are journeys are increasingly hard because it just feels like no one gets it. love and blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. Oh Brittany, you DO know what it's like! Thank you for the work you do with those sweet ones in Asia. You're giving them beautiful security during those formative years of life. Blessings!

    mj

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your quote. As a social worker, I feel differently about foster care than most. I am not such a fan after seeing so many children utterly devastated at the end of their 'stay' in foster care. I am glad that your friend is helping in the way she sees best though. Helping is always beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is. and i can't imagine where those children would be had she not been there. systems will always be broken, but people like her stepping up and serving so beautifully are such an encouragement and inspiration!

      Delete
    2. Life with Kaishon, thank you for all you do as a social worker. It is not an easy job and so discouraging at times. I SO appreciate the social workers in my life! It's so true that often when children "come into care", the last thing they truly receive is tender, loving care. In my own tiny way, though, I'm hoping to make a difference for a few. If you're willing, I'd love to hear your thoughts on foster care in more detail. You can contact me through my blog! Blessings to you and your sweet boy!

      Delete
  4. mandie joy, bless you for the beautiful, hard, heart-rending work you are doing. plant those seeds of the gospel so deep--even after the kiddos are long out of sight, you can still pray them into growth and wholeness. and the very best part? God goes with them. He never leaves them for a second.

    thank you, mj. thank you, love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nic, thank you so much for these words. Yes, this is exactly my prayer...that seeds of truth and blessing will be planted that will stay with them for years and years.

    blessings! mj

    ReplyDelete
  6. maaaaaan so good :) i'm not good at keeping up with blogs, but God always brings me where He wants me when He wants me. So thankful for that! Swatting mosquitos in Kenya having just put 3 little foster babies to sleep -- feeling myself wanting to give a little bit less love to make the transition easier, when it comes. Always a daily thing for me... He so graciously and gently takes my heart out of my own hands and promises to keep it close every day I forget it's safest with Him. thanks again for writing, mandie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment