the full scoop.
oh my stars. thank you for sharing in our JOY about the twins. i'm going to give the
whole scoop here to answer some of your questions & mostly because this is as close to a
baby book as i'll ever get. for any of our children.
so. i knew i wanted to switch doctors this time. even though the last practice had been with
me through 4 [hard] pregnancies, i never felt like i had the kind of experience that i longed for.
namely, during labor. some of that had to do with the their beliefs, a lot of it had to do with the
OB hospital staff. i began questioning around what OB practice around was really naturally
minded. i kept getting the same answers of these 2 midwives about 45 minutes away.
formally being a registered nurse, it is hard sometimes to combine my medical brain with
my natural heart and i was really hopeful that they were that. i called in january and couldn't
get in to see them until march! i added up the weeks and would be 15 weeks by then. it was
worth it to me. i'd done this pregnancy thing before and knew what to do these weeks of waiting.
so, we waited.
with my previous 4 pregnancies, i've had hyperemesis also. hyperemesis isn't widely studied,
but one of the theories of why a woman is so sick is because her hormone levels are so high.
well, yes...mine have always been really high. so, after that initial blood draw, they would
send me right over for an ultrasound to check if it was multiple babies. every time i've had
that ultrasound by 6 weeks and there was each of our little ones in there by themselves.
so even though i knew that the hyperemesis this time could be related to multiple babies,
i more just thought it was related to being me.
3 people this pregnancy have told us that we're having twins. our pastor of missions and really
great family friend told matt at one of their church league basketball games. when our family
was in uganda, the pastor came up to me during the well dedication and told us that we are
having twins. and our sweet, little clayton has said for a couple months that,
mommy has one boy and one girl in her belly!
so, fast forward to last monday, march 5th. we go meet this midwife. i love her. i
love what she has to say about the hospital staff and how my experience could
be there and i love that she doesn't think i'm crazy when ask about a home birth. she says
that she'll give me names of who could do that, we could see them & then make a decision.
we do the whole interview/question thing and then go in the room for the exam.
she has already said that my ultrasound will be at 21 weeks at the hospital.
when we get into the room, i see an old ultrasound machine & after she leaves, i tell
matt that i wish she'd just peek really quick.
the midwife comes back into the room and is chatting while setting up her things.
matt casually says, 3 people have told us we're having twins this time. she laughed
and said, well, let's just have a quick look. she put the ultrasound wand on my belly
and i instantly saw 2 heads. the midwife said, i'm not the best at ultrasounds, but that's
two babies! matt says that here i screamed in joy! i don't know what i said, but pretty
sure it was HOORAY! i then proceeded to giggle and giggle and giggle.
| [the twins at 15 weeks. the picture closest to us is looking down on the top of their heads.] |
the midwife was laughing, too, but asked me to please stop so she could look again...
she couldn't do it with my belly bouncing everywhere in laughter. i couldn't stop looking
at them and smiling. then, suddenly, i began trying to do the math of how many kids
we were going to have. it seriously took me a minute. finally, i figured it out and turned
to matt, babe! we have 9 kids! he laughed and said that he knew and then he might have
[jokingly] asked the midwife if they served margaritas there.
it was a quick, little peek at them....but it was so fun. i do remember waking up that morning
to get ready for my appointment and thinking to myself that it was the last day i would
wonder if it was two. so, my due date is august 28th. i was 15 weeks at that appointment
and measuring 20 weeks. although we won't consider a home birth now, i'm still
hopeful for a really natural one & am thankful to be working with this OB practice.
[thank you, erin & sarah!] we were not going to find out the baby's gender, but with
two now? we totally want to find out. we left and called our families. that was fun.
matt & i went to lunch and just smiled and talked about it all.
it is a LOT, but we couldn't be more excited and grateful.
when the kids got home from school we served them a snack with 2 strawberries,
2 grapes, 2 apple slices, 2 orange slices and 2 jelly beans. we let them try to guess why.
after several guesses, chloe's face LIT UP and she guessed it right. they all whooped and
hollered in excitement....it was really fun. they are all really excited about it and it's been
especially neat to talk with nico and jude about it. nico remembers when jude was born and
a little baby so that has really been some sweet conversations. honestly, i think God is
hilarious, but never wrong. we pray that He is, of course, working in each of our nine
children's lives & hearts, but also that He would use this double blessing in a very special
way for bonding & grafting together our family even more for His glory.
our family will have grown by 4 in less than a year!
[i'm giggling again.]
this is crazy. and awesome.
| 16 weeks. |

oh i just love this. so so so happy for y'all!! now how much longer till we find out the gender?! i can hardly wait to see if clay is right!!!! how fund would that be! you'd have 2 sets of boy/girl twins!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh my lands! Congratulations to your beautiful family! Praying for health and protection and rest and all the rest for you. You bump is absolutely adorable. Those two wee heads! Eek!
ReplyDeleteMuch love. <3
I'm so happy you shared this!!! Reminds me of when I found out about my twins, but it was much earlier than you!!! Can't wait to hear the details about boy/girl???
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping for one of each!! My two have such a special bond. Hoping you are feeling better and that the rest of this pregnancy will be easier!! Many blessings Lovelyn!!!
I just keep thinking about that precious picture of y'all (minus 4) on the bed and all the extra room... And now? There's 2 more on the bed, and 2 on the way...
ReplyDeleteAnd... Gosh. Tears. And smiles. And love for each of you.
How amazing is He? How awesome will this year be for y'all?
XO.
I'm not sure why, but I get teary eyed every time I pray for your family. Every time I read one of your posts - I don't even "KNOW" you but that doesn't matter. God has placed you on my heart (in a good way) - MUCH love and many prayers!!!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Lovelyn! That is the BEST! Joy in my heart for you!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Love!! This brought me right back to when we found out we were having twins (also late in pregnancy as we were going the natural route).
ReplyDeleteCongrats what a crazy good blessing!!!
ReplyDeleteThis is all so awesome.
ReplyDeleteI am certain that they will help you to the best natural hospital birth you can have! I can't wait to watch your journey to two more babies unfold... it's going to be a beautiful one.
Really couldn't be more happy for all of you. If anyone can handle NINE...it is YOU!! You are beautiful in EVERY way friend!
ReplyDeletei am sitting at my desk crying like a baby for you. thanks for sharing your joy with us. sam would have loved these newborn pictures and i can't get it out of my head that she was somehow involved. having an extra angel certainly doesn't hurt. xoxo
ReplyDeletethank you for sharing this - i am laughing and crying right now at how amazing and wonderful this is for you and your family! God is good!
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for when it's "my turn"! Our world needs to realize the beauty of families:) You do such a great job at bringing that to light!
ReplyDeletethank you for posting your story! I love hearing about your life - so inspiring :)
ReplyDeletemy first baby was due on August 28th!
Like her brother, she was exactly 8 days early, but that date (Aug 28th) always stands out to me.
Congrats again :)
OH. MY. Word. I lov yoru joy filled heart. YOU make ME want to be closer to Jesus. Or take the same drugs you are on. WOW. I feel like a weak one on a fainting couch over my two....your clan is TV worthy!!!! God blesses many people through you darlin. MANY PEOPLE>
ReplyDeleteYAY!! Im sooo excited for you!!!! Congrats! I bet its a boy and a girl. When my mom was pregnant with me my older sister, who was 11, new it was a girl and my parents never looked to see and then out i came a girl! My sister just new! SO happy for you!!!
ReplyDeleteIn Christ
Hosanna
This is so amazing! SO amazing that I'm not even sad that I won't get to make octomom jokes. ;-P SO SO SO SO SO Happy for all of you!
ReplyDeleteSuch a sweet story! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteSO! STINKIN'! EXCITING!
ReplyDeleteI've been following your family expand for awhile now and I just LOVE IT. You're all such an inspiration! I'm thrilled for you!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYou mentioned that your blog is as close to a baby book as you'll ever get....Do you happen to print your blog? I print my blog and it is our family scrapbook. I think there are several sights, but I use blurb.com. It takes a bit of work, but it's way better than trying to find a time to get all that scrap booking stuff out (and there is no mess-just your computer). I have printed 3 hard cover books now (in the past 3 years) and I'm working on the 4th. It is so priceless!
ReplyDeleteCongrats, again on the twins! How perfect of a miracle!
Oh, sigh... Just look at your twin-tummy and those sweet pics!! :-)
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! I'm holding our 9 day old baby (our 7th) so excited or you! Our 2nd & 3rd are twins & I delivered them vaginally! You can do it!
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing! I mean, what blessingS! :)
Congrats!!! That is sooo exciting.
ReplyDeleteI love everything about this post. Congratulations again!! <3 <3 <3
ReplyDeleteOh how wonderful!!! Praying blessings and health on the whole family :) Congratulations!!
ReplyDeleteI am soooooo stinking happy for you!!! Thank you for opening up my mind and making me see how BEAUTIFUL and LOVE-FILLED huge families can be. I'm ashamed to say that I never really saw that before "meeting" you. The other day I saw a mom with five kids and I thought of you and I said, "You really have a heart-full" and she BEAMED. :)
ReplyDeletewhat a wonderful, awe-inspiring, knock-us-clear-over-with-grace God we serve. thrilled for you all, love!
ReplyDeleteI read your blog a lot but never have commented... I was thrilled when I read about your twins! That last picture of you is beautiful.. (it isn't in zeeland, mi, by chance, is it? :))
ReplyDeleteI'm just in awe that so many people told you it was twins before you even knew!! Amazing!! And I love the way you shared the big news with your kids.
ReplyDeleteCongrats again!! :D
What an awesome story!! It had me smiling the whole time!! Praying for you!! Congrats again!! :)
ReplyDeleteLove, love, love your news about your twins! Ohmuword. NINE KIDS!!!!!! You are officially head of the "I Drive A Bus" committee. SO excited for y'all!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteMuch love - CO
Oh, my gosh, Love, I am SO excited for you and the rest of your beautiful family.
ReplyDeleteI hadn't sat & read this whole story until just now. I am all teary & laughing. Blessing to you Palm family!!
ReplyDeleteI am oh so beyond overjoyed for you. I remember you posted one of your earlier preggo photos and saying that your uterus had a great memory because you were already popping- and now to find it it wasn't a fast acting uterus but twins! Your family is amazing. Sometimes when I'm overwhelmed with my three- I think of you! How did you KNOW how to handle all these kids? You have had to have such a FAST learning curve. Such an amazing mama- so proud of you! Praying for blessings! I know the midwife/OB office you are speaking of, and they are amazing! Praying that you have the experience that you want! xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, I just stumbled across your blog and I already love you! You guys are crazy -not in 'you need to get committed' kind of a way but in a 'you are willing to take whatever God throws at you and have fun with it' kind of a way. I love it! It totally inspires me! I will definitely be back!
ReplyDelete