let's chat.

so, you know when you have a lot to say, but no time to say it?  that's me, friends.
so, i'm going to rattle off to you like we're sitting over coffee.  me first and then
i promise to listen to you.  i actually LOVE to listen and not to talk.  so, lemme
go and then it's your turn.

the Busoga well project is blowing me away.  things are happening behind the scenes
right now and i'll let you know as soon as something is in place. every time i get close
to 'i don't want to blog anymore.', God blows me away with something really, really
awesome and i remember that this space isn't mine anyway.  what's happening in
Busoga?  really, really awesome.  [in large part because of many of you.]

tomorrow, we have family pictures.  family pictures every year are really important to
me.  they truly are my most prized material possessions.  it's been tradition for the 
last few years to have them in october.  well, on top of our last few months being
really busy, i think i've tried to put them on the back burner.  

many of you may know that our young, vibrant, super compassionate, friendly, 
funny & mega-talented photographer became a great friend.  we shared a love for
positive thinking, kids & adoption.  when she went to be with the Lord
this summer, i grieved for many things.  i was sad because i miss her, for all her 
loved ones and also all the moments she would never be able to capture on film--
for our family & others.  she 'got me' and our family more than i could ever express.
well, i realized that the last thing she would want me to do is not have
family photos.  so, here we go. i remember samantha blogging about there
being empty spaces on this bed to fill.  so glad 2 are filled.


i love our big ol' family of nine.  i had to run to the store yesterday
afternoon and i was quickly pushing my cart back out the van.
i caught myself smiling really big.  i was thinking about picking our
girls up at school and having our family together for the evening.
we gather in the kitchen area.  doing homework, drawing, remote control
cars, dancing, drinking tea, sitting on the island and watching, snacking,
doing puzzles, building blocks, practicing ninja moves. 
just being.
i want you to know that that doesn't mean that everything is always perfect.
there is squabbling and even fighting.  there is selfishness and irritation.
there is tired and whiny.  sometimes there is all of that.
 sometimes it is coming for nine of us and i start to wonder what on earth
we are doing.  what we are messing up.  but, oh for grace.
for picking it back up and sucking it up and forgiving and moving on.

my house is in unpacking shambles, but today [every day] is so much good, too.
do you keep a grateful list?  i need to on paper again, i think.

today brought:
3 happy girls off to school prepared and on time.
2 sick, but snuggily babies.
chai with our biggest boys.
the boys skyping with their friends at the orphanage!
coffee delivery from a friend.
the time to start of the many hills of laundry piled.

okay.  your turn!

Comments

  1. Sitting on the kitchen counter is one of my favorite things, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, i do keep a thankful/gratitude journal.

    -coffee from my mom
    - cough drops
    - a night of solid sleep (finally!)
    - taking photos of a dear friend being reunited with husband (she's a Navy wife and had a baby while he was gone)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today?
    Sick boy made for canceling the crocheting party at my house. :( I was sad because I love these girls and was really ready for some face to face, ya know? [are you still caught on the crochet part? I love crocheting and have done little since sitting next to you on a plane ;).]

    After pouting and asking God to redeem the day I have now deep cleaned the bathroom, and washed the widows inside and out - yay! Got all my Christmas CD's out and now feel more prepared for a good family weekend.

    I love your "just being." May we all embrace those sweet moments that are filled with life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you are going ahead with your family photos.....I know how sad you are that she's not going to be the one taking them because I feel the same way. She'll be watching..... Probably orchestrating a beautiful day with lots of puffy clouds!!! Thanks for sharing your life with us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked 3.5 hours of my 7 hours of weekly work at the hospital. I love the feeling of jumping in my car and racing home or to the babysitters house to get them and see what they've been up to during their 2 mornings without me. I think I always literally smile as I walk out of work. And those hugs...after being away even for a short period...they are the BEST! A grateful-list is such a great thing to have on hand around your house. ;)

    Love the new kitchen! It looks big and comfortable. I admire and am encouraged by your following through with what Christ calls you to do. I know God wants to grow our family...but am just not sure if that is through adoption or putting my body through a 3rd pregnancy. Both of them honestly scare the crap out of me. But I'm seeking and waiting! :)

    I'm rambling. Sorry! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ignore me if I'm too nosey. Since the bigger boys are school age do they go to school how do you go about getting them caught up or in school when a child is adopted from another country?

    I hope the babies feel better. We love your updates. My 3yo calls your family the grow love family :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just have to say, Love, that you teach me so much. I don't know if I'll EVER be comfortable inviting someone into my disorganized house, but there in the midst of MOVING IN and boxes and everything you welcome me to see your beautiful home. I am just so thrilled, and Samantha knew about those two boys before we did. I miss her so much. Also, I love your family.

    Today was a great day.

    Love,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  8. :)
    Took 4 out of 6 kids to school this morning.
    Came home to our 3 tr old helping daddy outside.
    Afternoon - picked up our 4yr old from pre-school, lunch out, grocery shopping.
    Scheduled our family photos :)
    Went to pick up 2 of our school aged children.
    Then an hour after that our last school our Jr. high son off the bus.
    Preparing dinner - looking forward to an evening in. Maybe have a fire and make s'mores when the sun goes down......

    I too have a "thankful" journal. I need to carry it with me to jot down all of the special moments....I should go put it in my purse now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the part you said about picking it up, the forgiving and the moving on. Because when in the middle of the whining, it seems so LOUD. But looking back at it, after the forgiveness, it seems so small and laughable. :) We are so blessed to have the grace in our lives. By Him and by each other. Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAHA! I just reread my post! Sorry for the type o's.....Had a couple of little ones on my lap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am curious, do the boys go to school? Or do they stay home with you for now with plans to eventually go? You don't have to share if you don't want to, I'm just curious.

    A local sports radio host recently adopted a little boy from Honduras. This man is a Christian, but given his industry he doesn't talk about it a ton. He is not secretive about it or anything though. Anyway, he and his family (wife and two kids) spent six weeks in Honduras with their new son before they could come back to the States. He called in to his radio show every Friday to talk about his week and tell funny stories. I loved listening to it. He was so honest about some of the challenges they faced, from paperwork to sibling issues, and I am hopeful that some of his sharing has planted a seed in the hearts and minds of listeners. Anyway, every time he was on the air I thought of your family. Now he is back and obviously does not talk about his family much on air. But I just think it is awesome that he did what he did and was able to keep his job and had a platform to share with others.

    I don't know why I took the time to tell you that. Maybe just to share that what you are doing in your family stays in my mind.

    I hope you have a fantastic weekend. And your kitchen is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Was up all night though the kiddos were sleeping. Ran late to everything and somehow mustered the energy to go to Zumba on just five hours of very broken sleep. Had a stranger take the liberty To touch my baby and my toddler got upset. Then the stranger scolded her. At the same time, the owner made a comment about us adopting and someone who has never (after several months) bothered to even say hello asked if both were "my children" and then said, "you know,adopted". I removed us from the situation and told my daughter no one should ever scold he, especially a stranger. Then the hubby picked up the kids and I worked out hard! I made sure to not be rude and explained to the woman that where we come from, you don't touch babies you don't know and that my daughter is fine being protective when strangers come up to touch her baby brother. Then had a great catch up combo with a friend from home that I miss. Tears, laughs. And then went inside to love on my babies and thank God so much for my life.

    Thanks for asking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so enjoy these catch-up posts.
    I think a grateful journal is a great idea. I used to post what I was thankful for most Thursdays, but fell away from that...now I'm thinking I should at least get back to writing those things down with pen and paper.
    Today?
    -I'm 40 weeks + 3 days pregnant.
    -My sister and her boyfriend are in town. I love this.
    -My mother-in-law is having her annual fall party, and I am debating whether or not I want to go. (Just don't want to be outside, cold, answering too many pregnancy questions for people I don't know...I'm getting a bit cranky these days...)
    -I am so thankful for my husband who has been amazing this entire pregnancy.
    -I have so much delicious food in the fridge, somehow, which I'm REALLY thankful for as my love of cooking as taken a back seat during recent days (weeks?).
    -I was up EARLY, but I'm guessing this is just preparation for what it will be like to be a mama of a baby on the outside of my womb...and I can always take a nap.
    -I'm looking forward to meeting my son!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Today.
    Thankful to be in Uganda... finishing things up.
    The promise of heading home one day in the future.
    Waking up to a baby with a fever, affordable healthcare in Uganda and getting home and snuggling all afternoon.
    A nap for me.
    Can't wait until my aunt arrives here tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Although my family only has three (and a bun in the oven) the days seem more hectic than ever. We're in the process of making a new toddler room, re-decorating a nursery, trying to organize the living/dinning room area...all to acommodate one new baby coming...I don't know how you do it with 9! It's all still a beautiful blessing. Oh...today we're going to IKEA...it's silly how excited I am about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blog is so inspiring because it is so REAL! Thank you for including the "imperfections". They remind me that I can do God's will too, and it won't always look picture perfect, but the fact that I'm doing His will - it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts