balance beam.

i cried a little at this picture.  i cried a little with my children this morning as
we sat down for our devotional and one of them got sad at how close we
are to mommy's trip.  of course they are excited, but sometimes sad & excited walk
hand in hand--and maybe that makes it even harder to understand.

this isn't easy.  i don't say this in a look-at-how-great-what-we're-doing-is way.
i say it in an i-am-broken-over-how-hard-this-is way,  
but obedience to what God has for our family trumps all.  

more things are hard than leaving my husband
and children to fly across the world for an unknown amount of time.
as hopeful and excited as i am to have our two boys come home, i grieve
them leaving their country.  i believe it is always best for children to stay with a loving
birth family.  if that is not possible, i believe they should be in a loving family in their 
birth country.  when these things just aren't possible or happening....i do believe that
international adoption is the best answer.  it is not a perfect answer.  it is not rescuing
or saving.  we are taking a child from their culture & i grieve that.
but, just like obedience trumps....so does a family.

i weep just thinking about leaving the orphanage with our boys.  them saying 
goodbye to the people that they have lived with for so long--to the boys &
girls that they live with as brothers and sisters.  i'm so grateful for the wonderful
place they have lived.  the kids there are living proof of God's grace and redemption.
despite their journeys, the have flourished and are joyful in this loving, Christ-centered
environment.  yet, i still pray for them to have families.  for those that can be re-united
with their birth families to be able to.  for other families to obey what they might be
called to, to step up and say yes.  
yes, i will love you as my own.  yes, it is your turn.  yes,
His love and grace are big enough for this.  
so, in this season of joyful anticipation, yet hard moments, this has been
a great encouragement to me.  from Crazy Love by Francis Chan:

People who are obsessed with Jesus aren't consumed with their personal safety and comfort above all else. Obsessed people care more about God's kingdom coming to this earth than their own lives being shielded from pain or distress.  [They] are more concerned with obeying God than doing what is expected or fulfilling the status quo. A person who is obsessed with Jesus will do things that don't always make sense in  terms of success or wealth on this earth.
 this is what i want for every area in my life.  reckless abandon & obsession.  for Him.

is there something that God is calling you to?  anything to make you more like him?
are you holding too tightly to what you believe should happen?  holding too tightly to
what this world believes?  holding too tightly to fear?
watch this short video with me.  i may not be a gymnast, but
i want to do a really awesome balance beam routine. 

Comments

  1. This is so true...I often have these same thoughts and feelings as I prepare myself and family to leave them soon to bring our girls home. Thank you so much for sharing the video. I really needed to hear that message today. Deciding to follow Christ isn't the safe path or the easy path but it is certainly worth every second!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This, this is an inspiration.

    Obedience is never without cost. I am learning this small step by small step, but I know Christ is always worth it. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember people asking me how I felt when we were preparing to adopt and thinking that I didn't know how to answer. How can you explain to someone that you feel absolutely every single emotion a person could feel at the same time - from exuberant joy to crushing heartbreak, and I was adopting infants who didn't have the understanding that your boys have. When I think about your boys I feel all the feelings you're feeling for them rush to me so I can't even imagine what you are feeling! Hang in there Love, this is all God's plan, it's perfect even though it's messy.
    I love this clip from Francis and I just watched it the other day actually. It is such a good reminder to me of how I want to live. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will be covering you [and all your little people] in prayer. Go Sister knowing He has you [and them] covered! We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really needed this today! We are in the process of International adoption and we are already talking about committing to two more older children. I feel God is calling us to do this but I am very afraid and sometimes I tell myself why don't I just be happy with what I already have. But the pictures of those little ones we have seen when visiting soon to be our son at his orphanage keeps hunting me. I keep thinking that this is the way GOD must feel when he sees them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Francis Chan clip and am so glad you included it! I'm excited to continue reading here while your "routine" unfolds :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just think, would I go to the other side of the world to bring home Ivy and Gray? YES. They are your children, you are going to bring them home. Can't wait.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for including this clip. i love your blog and hope for you to love mine!! check it out at www.organizedchaos-keastfamily.blogspot.com
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So good. SO good. Praying God's blessing on your offering of love you give Him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been saving this post until I figure out the words I want to say in response. I don't know if I will figure them out- everything in my just seems to agree with the words in this post, with the illustration in that clip.
    I am praying for you, for me, for the reality of this particular message RIGHT NOW.
    Love to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts