gift.

that thing that i was really excited about yesterday?
it happened this morning:
we got to skype with our boys!
so unbelievable.  so fun.
our friend, mandie, who is doing wonderful work in our boys'
home country, offered to take them for the day.
they went swimming and had water fights.
at the end of their afternoon,
they skyped with us as we rolled out of bed.

this was the first time that we have been able to talk with them since
they have known that we are their family.
so wonderful to talk about it with them, let them ask questions about life here,
see their dad & sisters [the babies were still asleep!] and to
let them all chat together. 
such a gift.

i know many of you have heard the statistics.  
i think the latest number is that there are 163 million orphans world wide.
a great number of those orphans are not eligible for adoption.
this is where things like sponsorship or in-country support are so crucial.

of the children that are available for adoption,
many of them look like our sons did just several months ago.
"older" "boy" "sibling group" 
many of them add on 
"may have some special needs" "medical care will be required"
"will need a family able to work through grief & loss issues"

and do you know what those things look like on paper?
let's be honest, those labels can look scary.
but, here is what i know with everything in me:

these children are not those labels.
they are not the statistics.
they are not the fears.

they are names and faces and arms ready to hug.
they are laughter and hope and please-let-me-be-chosen-next.
they are our sons and daughters.
they are children that were made for love.
we have love to give.
[maybe you do, too?]

Comments

  1. I've got tears in my eyes - what an incredible morning for you all!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. after spending the day with them, it makes me shudder to think that these two could have been overlooked because of those scary labels. They are precious, loving, gentle boys who are full of life and eager for family. Any challenges they my face over the next few years will pale in comparison to the value of two lives redeemed. LOVE YOUR HEART!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful moment you had--so happy for you! and my, aren't they handsome! i'm praying for, you know what, for when our time is right...

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful start to the day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Happy weekend! And thank you for sharing your heart about the children. They are not labels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how engaged they look! Must be something for all the kids to of had that experience!

    Did Matt get to see them? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very exciting! We used to skype with kids while we waited for them to be released from Ethiopia. I can tell you from first hand exerpience that "older" children available for adoption are not those lables :) Thanks for writing about it today Love. Can't wait until they are in your arms :)

    Prayers would be appreciated for a quick approval of our I-600. Praying they will accept our updated HS and speed our I-600 through for approval ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, this made me cry!!!You will never regret stepping out in faith in this way. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Love, that is such a prescious gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting!! Such a great reminder about the "needs" as I'm filling out the paper work right now for our next adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely beautifully written. So glad that you were able to do that with them, what a huge blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh, this is absolutely heartwarming and wonderful. You are such a beautiful soul, as I'm sure I've said a million times before (and I'll keep on saying it! Shouting it from the rooftops!)
    What a blessing you are for these boys -- what a blessing they'll be for you!
    LOVE! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. How awesome is that?!?! I am so excited for you.

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a dream come true! I can't imagine your excitement. I just watched your LTYM segment. Thank you for continuing to inspire Love!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This made me cry. Happy for you. Sad for all the kids whose labels keep them from finding their families. And tears of hope because I continue to speak out about why we're setting aside money to adopt, why it is so important that these children are not forgotten. God has not left them forsaken, because He speaks through people like you Love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I keep going back to the look on the oldest's face, it's just perfect.

    I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful, love. i'm just brimming over here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. {lump in my throat}

    I am SO happy you were able to chat with them.

    I al ALSO happy that you continue to challenge all of us to consider adoption.

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! You make me cry. I love how Jesus made you. You drive me to prayer. I am willing Lord. How beautiful.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I read this to my husband, and we were both brought to tears. This weekend as we were camping with the kids, I heard him continually ask if our kids were ready for more kids to join our family. I cannot stop thinking about this post. I tried to find a way to link this post to my blog, but I can't seem to figure it out. You have pricked my heart, and I will never be the same. I'm earnestly praying about our forever family. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts