fellowship.
this is our small group. so thankful for them. our guys surprised us all.
they lined up babysitting & cleared our calendars for the night.
matt took out our car seats & we piled into our [party] van.
we had such a fun night in chicago even though we totally got
stared down with a disgusting look for taking this picture.
why do people have to be so snotty? i get that we look like tourists,
but we weren't in anyone's way & i'll be thankful for this picture
many years from now.
i kind of digress, but no time for backspacing today.
what i mean to say is that i understand that a lot of people are intimidated
or uncomfortable with small groups or even church.
i truly do understand that more than i could express here.
i just wanted to share that the blessings of the small group model
in our church have far out-weighed my selfish desire to do life by ourselves.
slowly, each person in our small group begins to do life together--
sharing needs, blessings, praises, hurts, convictions, desires.
we can prayerfully point each other to Christ;
we can say hard things without becoming the enemy.
we can rejoice even more greatly with each other in blessings
because we truly have been a part of it with support & prayer.
so grateful for this group!
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good
deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing,
but let us encourage one another-and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 10:24-25

We don't have small group at our church but I sure do understand the unity that being involved in church brings. I like this post ;)
ReplyDeleteI still keep in contact with those from our small group when we lived in FL-over ten years later. It is wonderful to have friends that you know you can count on to pray for you, with you, and get you and just loves you for who you are.
ReplyDeletesososososo important. Love this post so very much. That is why we have a revolving front door - we desire [deeply] to do life together with others. Not just when we are "looking good" on Sunday morning. I want friends to know me and me know them. The only way we can do that is to spend time. I really believe that is how the early church was.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Friend!
Opening ourselves up to doing life together hasn't always been easy for Kevin and I, but we are so thankful for all that we have learned and gone through in the 8 years our small group has been together. So very thankful for the support, encouragement, and refinig our small group provides! Glad to hear you too have special relationships to carry you!
ReplyDeletethey are slowly but surely starting small groups at our church...and i think it's a beautiful, wonderful part of being in the body of Christ!
ReplyDeleteI miss the small group I used to do Bible study with. We never got close because I couldn't stay long, but for the few weeks we studied together, I felt like a part of something special
ReplyDeleteTotally agree. As my church went through a changes it was the small groups that gave a sense of community and stability. People have moved on and others have joined but it's so great to meet weekly and grow together. Now I may be the one moving on but I cherish all the times we studied, fellowshiped and prayed for each other.
ReplyDeleteI would love a small group, but I"m a single mom...not many groups are willing to include a single woman...despite my chubbiness, I guess I"m still considered a threat??
ReplyDeleteI love this post Love. My husband and I have had the privilege of being part of a few small groups and we have formed tight and lasting bonds with these people. I am jealous for the people in my life who have never experienced such a friendship.
ReplyDeleteGood on you for painting such a beautiful picture!
beautiful! there is nothing quite like a connected group.
ReplyDeleteWe used to belong to a small group... until we moved. We're trying to get one started here... but there isn't much interest. It's such an awesome way to grow and bond... so needed... maybe they're realize it one day.
We are new to the town we live, and our small group is the only thing that keeps us from wanting to move!!
ReplyDeleteFYI: I have a giveaway going on over at my blog--you should enter! www.samandlaurenbattershell.blogspot.com
We started meeting for a small group almost 5 years ago. And not from a church but all from different churches because we weren't getting what church really was supposed to be. So we studied Acts and we learned. And now they are family - although we don't meet weekly any longer we are all still very, very connected. It is a bond that is almost impossible to explain. I am so glad that you completely understand!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful and so true xx
ReplyDeletelove this! such fun. and such thoughtful husbands! love the community that comes from small groups. one of the greatest blessing of the church.
ReplyDeleteSo awesome! I wish our church had something like this.
ReplyDeleteGreat outing & photo! And great post, too. This is something that has been on my mind. I've never been part of an official "small group". Scott & I have been talking about, because our new church puts a lot of focus on them & has been encouraging us to join in. Hmmmmmm.... It's kinda hard for both of us. I think we have too much rebel in us to be excited about being a "groupie". But, I kinda think we should take the plunge.
ReplyDelete@liz - that would be awfully sad if a single mom were excluded from small group life. :(
ReplyDeleteHave you asked the pastor if you can get plugged in with a group of welcoming folk?
praise jesus! what a gift your husbands gave! so glad y'all have sweet small group fellowship-blessing indeed! xo
ReplyDeletepraise jesus! what a gift your husbands gave! so glad y'all have sweet small group fellowship-blessing indeed! xo
ReplyDeleteone eye, really?! when i was looking i was dead on, full face and everything! i woulda loved this pic
ReplyDeleteour church started last year and small groups began in feb - I debated about joining b/c I knew I would be moving the end of June, but I'm SO glad I did - so thankful for the time getting to know the people in my group, however brief...and am hoping to get connected after I move as well.
ReplyDeleteLove that picture. Good for you for taking it despite that "disgusting look." ;)
ReplyDeleteWhat church do you go to?
stephanie@metropolitanmama.net