charting.
littlest & i had a date yesterday. she was the first
one to five! stars! on our new bedtime chart reward system.
it's always interesting when the things that have worked just don't
work anymore--for each individual child and for the family.
so, we're in a season of change for several things. it's okay, i'm
really excited about it for the most part.
can we all just admit though that we basically have no idea what we're doing?
i mean, i know our goal. love God, love them, pray they will do the same
with their lives. but, all the in between? all the getting there?
we all have our ways, theories & what works for us, but is there
any one person that at some point in time that doesn't think,
i have no clue what i'm doing
and is brought to their knees at the sheer enormity of this parenting thing?
[if there is that person, i don't think i want to know them. scary.]
so, i do it and do the best i can. messing up a lot & trying to
allow myself the same grace that i extend to others. yet, still lie
in bed at night & wish that i had made a better choice those five
times today even though i made it the other many times.
choosing joy. choosing patience. choosing selflessness.
maybe i need a star chart, too.


Your star chart is totally filled in my book, Mama. :) xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteYou know, I've always wondered how I'll survive as a mom because of the weight of the task of parenting. You're right, it's heavy. And you're the only.person. I've EVER heard admit you have no idea what you're doing. So thank you for (again!) speaking the things that are hidden in my heart. You're so refreshing to me.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, mama's need rewards as well...or some incentive to see the good they do, not just those 5 ways they could've chosen better.Everything is grace and we all need to remember that.
You are so right, none of us actually KNOW what we are doing, but we do it.
ReplyDeleteI think we need to have a lot more grace for ourselves and other parents, we'd all feel a little better.
so so TRUE! lately? there is alot more feeling lost in this parenting thing than any ounce of feeling like i know what i'm doing! but it DOES drive me to my knees ~ it creates a need for HIM that can't be met by anyone or anything else! having a pre-teen, kindergardener, and soon to be new born again is a daily adventure and only by HIS grace will we all survive and turn out okay! ;) Love you!
ReplyDeleteI was trying to tell a new mama that was feeling like a failure (over failed nursing attempt with her new treasure) that it is a picture of parenting. Try plan A, then plan B, then C......
ReplyDeleteI tried to encourage her that the worse thing she can do is beat herself up.
Now, if I can only take my own advice.
Love yoU!
Thank you for your honesty Love! Ive been feeling the same way. Its comforting to know Im not alone, when it feels like I am.
ReplyDeleteThere are all experiments, especially those oldest ones :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting on my blog last week. You were a winner of a $5 Starbucks gift card (a small gift, but a gift nonetheless!) Not sure how to get it to you... maybe leave a message on my blog. I emailed you, but not sure if it worked.
Oh, Love.
ReplyDeleteI so appreciate your honesty.
Does anyone really KNOW what they are doing in those big things that don't exactly come with a manual?
But God knows your heart, he knows your desires. He loves to take care of you and your babies- and me, apparently-it is always such a gift to read your words!
Oh, Love.
ReplyDeleteI so appreciate your honesty.
Does anyone really KNOW what they are doing in those big things that don't exactly come with a manual?
But God knows your heart, he knows your desires. He loves to take care of you and your babies- and me, apparently-it is always such a gift to read your words!
Oh, thank goodness, I thought I was the only one who didn't know what I was doing!
ReplyDeleteBedtime is our biggest challenge. I'm so making a star chart today.
xx-Z
I love looking back at my blog for just that reason... Oh the chore pack... haha... total flop, and the laundry system that made things even harder... that is life and hopefully as we live we will learn, but if not we experienced some pretty amazing things while doing God's will and seeing Him in new ways. Thank for keeping it real!
ReplyDeleteDo you ever read the Miss Spider books to your kids? There is one where the parents get a reward chart, too. It's really cute and so true to what parents do need!
ReplyDeleteright there with you! So thankful we serve an awesome God who is gracious beyond words.
ReplyDeleteLOVE the chalk picture! :)
britt
I feel like this often! I also constantly thank God that His mercies are new every morning!!
ReplyDeleteGreat post!!! We must rely on the Holy Spirt. And ask the LORD for His wisdom!!!
ReplyDeleteThe pictures are so adorable!!!!
YES! YES! YES! We have NO idea...that is what kills me in parenting...we are not in control. At. All. Sooo we have to let Him take charge. ACK. You have such a gorgeous peace about you Lovelyn. I'm so grateful to know you and hear part of your story via LTYM!!!!
ReplyDeleteI am clueless too. My oldest is about to turn 13 and many days I am still as lost and confused as I was when I first brought her home! I think I really thought that four kids in to this Mama gig I was actually gonna get the hang of it or something! Somehow though HE is taking this mess I make and totally redeeming it! Yay for Grace and I would totally love a star chart for me!!
ReplyDeleteI am completely lost.
ReplyDeleteNow that my kids are getting older (teens) when I see the good stuff in them, I think, "Only by the grace of God!" I think we do the best we can as parents, and have to believe that God (as He is so good to do) fills in the gaps and smooths over the rough edges.
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to say thanks for your insight and honesty. You have a gift to sum things up and turn the attention back to God. I've been so encouraged the last few months reading your blog. May God continue to grant you the wisdom you need moment by moment.
ReplyDeleteI also often reflect on how forgiving children are. If only adults could be so quick to forgive and forget!
amen!
ReplyDeleteso thankful for christ's strength in our weaknesses! xo press on
so true. It's a big responsibility! Thankful everyday that my Saviour is seeing me through it.
ReplyDeleteLove. How true this is!
ReplyDeleteA few nights ago, I was laying in bed, totally not falling asleep. Because, the weight of the not knowing what I am doing & what if I am totally messing my kids up & I wish I was doing a better job, going through my mind.
The good news is, God will do His work in the lives of my kids. And, I know I doing things wrong. And, they will be negatively impacted by my sin. But, I know God is bigger than me & my sin! So thankful for God's good grace!