today.
7:00am
have i ever told you what a big part of this my husband is?
when people hear we have 5 youngish kids,
they often say, oh, i could never....
well, i don't. we do. we're a team & he does a lot.
almost every morning, he's long been up by now....
had devotions, answered e-mails, done any dishes, made lunches
& gotten these 2 ready for school.
i get snuggles & hugs as i begin to get the littles ready for the day.
i'm thankful for our team.
8:30am
the 'babies' & i make our way downstairs for breakfast.
bianca usually has gotten fully dressed, grabbed some favorite toys that
she'll probably keep with her all day & daintily walks down the stairs.
clay is most concerned about getting to the food,
so is often still in PJs & is a blur down the stairs [every.morning] like this:
i love their distinct personalities.
now? breakfast time!
i asked them, would you like cereal?
clay responded, OSTED AKES, MAMA!
frosted flakes it is.
planning on continuing to 'live blog' our day for fun.
what are you up to today, friends?
10:37am
bread watching turned to a rousing break-out session of
If You're Happy & You Know It.
10:37am
10:42am
11:27am
okay. take 2 on the banana bread.
it's in the oven now.
babies are lying down for a nap.
i'll be back soon & actually be able to "talk."
11:29am
oh, first...this is too cute not to share.bread watching turned to a rousing break-out session of
If You're Happy & You Know It.
[now, you should tell me something about you.]
[or where we should go on our next vacation.]
[or what you're getting your mom for mother's day.]
=)
see what that is?!
it's a Listen to Your Mother poster.
[my name is there in the grey area!]
i am so excited about this.
so proud of my friend, stephanie, who is taking a leap of faith
and directing & producing this show about motherhood.
it's live, short readings from local writers.
if you're anywhere in the northwest indiana area, would love to have you there!
tickets can be purchased here. it's the saturday night before mother's day.
i'm so grateful to be able to share my story & am looking forward
to how the other readers will inspire, entertain & challenge us, too.
[it will be available on-line later, too!]
but, i'm kinda used to that, i guess.
basically...ellie & i ran all over town getting all kinds of
stuff done. bank, post office, grocery store, shops for posters,
pick the big girls up, bank again, grocery store again.
it was a fight to get something done for the adoption
[evidenced by the again statements above]
but we got it done.
i have a standard rule of no computer between 3-7pm though....
so i'll be back!
this picture sure is pretty,
but i will admit that bedtime was not.
that makes me sad. i have idealistic notions
of beautiful, peaceful bedtimes.
some weeks it happens....some weeks it doesn't.
thankful for another chance tomorrow.
i just inhaled a piece of lemon curd cheesecake
that i ordered from a friend for easter.
she was doing it as a fundraiser for her son going on
a mission trip & i think i want to hire her to be our
in-house pastry chef.
[y.u.m.]
someone [kari, i think!] asked about the boys yesterday....hoping to hear
a happy update soon. i am, too!
we're in a waiting phase. literally nothing left to do
except wait for a court date. of course we're ready for the
boys to [God-willing] be home, but i am [pretty] at peace with the timing.
one of the things that i've learned the most in the adoption process is
letting go of my own desires. being quiet enough to hear His whispers.
sometimes they whisper to push, try this or to take action.
sometimes they whisper to wait, to be still, to trust our journey.
we are at a be still part right now.
12:47pm
ellie & i are heading out to hang these around town:see what that is?!
it's a Listen to Your Mother poster.
[my name is there in the grey area!]
i am so excited about this.
so proud of my friend, stephanie, who is taking a leap of faith
and directing & producing this show about motherhood.
it's live, short readings from local writers.
if you're anywhere in the northwest indiana area, would love to have you there!
tickets can be purchased here. it's the saturday night before mother's day.
i'm so grateful to be able to share my story & am looking forward
to how the other readers will inspire, entertain & challenge us, too.
[it will be available on-line later, too!]
5:13
whoa. i didn't expect that to be so long.but, i'm kinda used to that, i guess.
basically...ellie & i ran all over town getting all kinds of
stuff done. bank, post office, grocery store, shops for posters,
pick the big girls up, bank again, grocery store again.
it was a fight to get something done for the adoption
[evidenced by the again statements above]
but we got it done.
i have a standard rule of no computer between 3-7pm though....
so i'll be back!
7:46
whew. kids are all in bed.this picture sure is pretty,
but i will admit that bedtime was not.
that makes me sad. i have idealistic notions
of beautiful, peaceful bedtimes.
some weeks it happens....some weeks it doesn't.
thankful for another chance tomorrow.
i just inhaled a piece of lemon curd cheesecake
that i ordered from a friend for easter.
she was doing it as a fundraiser for her son going on
a mission trip & i think i want to hire her to be our
in-house pastry chef.
[y.u.m.]
someone [kari, i think!] asked about the boys yesterday....hoping to hear
a happy update soon. i am, too!
we're in a waiting phase. literally nothing left to do
except wait for a court date. of course we're ready for the
boys to [God-willing] be home, but i am [pretty] at peace with the timing.
one of the things that i've learned the most in the adoption process is
letting go of my own desires. being quiet enough to hear His whispers.
sometimes they whisper to push, try this or to take action.
sometimes they whisper to wait, to be still, to trust our journey.
we are at a be still part right now.
i'm trusting that & looking forward to holding this boy's
sweet hand many, many more times to come in the future.
to be his mama.
8:10pm
ok, friends. i have to wrap it up for the day.
thank you for visiting. i really do love sharing some of our
life with you & hearing about yours.
you know what's especially awesome? when you have your
e-mail address linked to your comment so i can reply
back to you when i can!
i'm loving your vacation picks, but ya'll that are inviting
us near you realize that would probably be NINE of us, right?
i promise we're not nearly as quiet in person as it may appear on screen!
happy night!





our day is nearly done. we had an early dinner at four. and will continue with baths and maybe a movie.
ReplyDeletethen it'll be off to bed for two little boys and this mama will wash dishes (maybe) and clean up toys (probably not) and try not to stay up too late while worrying about laundry and errands that we have to do tomorrow.
i'm so thankful for husbands/dads who do a lot. my husband is the same and i couldn't do this without him. he picks up the slack and when he's gone, i notice. oh, do i notice. :)
looking forward to your live blogging day, i'll check back before i go to bed.
xoxoxo
prayers for your far away boys. hoping they'll be included in these live blogging days soon.
So fun!! I love this idea. :) I'll be checking back. Praying for your boys, can't wait to see them HOME!
ReplyDeleteTHIS. This is exactly what I tell people when I get that same comment. 6 KIDS? I don't know how you do it... well I am able to do it all because I have a great husband who does just as much as I do. :) I couldn't do it without him and the times I have had to because he is working extra or is sick I don't like it. He and I are much better as a team. I always say there is a reason we are married not just because we love each other but because we are just better together. :)
ReplyDeleteHow fun! My 10 year olds are at school and I just got done with the 1 hour I take for myself M-F...a boot camp class!! Now off to Target then back to fold the baskets upon baskets of clean laundry. I love my mom job!!!
ReplyDeleteLydia tried to go down the stairs that way once and I almost had a heart attack (she was only 10 months old) they are so cute! Enjoy your day.
ReplyDeletei loooove this! the photo of Clay going down the stairs makes my ovaries ache for more. :)
ReplyDeleteSeriously, the babies eating breakfast? Too cute.
ReplyDeleteI think the "Dad getting up with kids (or some kids)" approach is awesome. Nolan gets up with Elise, gives her a bottle and reads some books while I get another 45 minutes of sleep. Then we switch while he gets ready for work. It's nice for him to have daddy/daughter time and it's great that I get a little extra sleep! And this will definitely be helpful when I'm caring for a newborn, too.
Can't wait to read the rest of your day!
We have 3 kids, but my husband is a HUGE part of making life work--especially since I am a working mom right now. He makes lunches and wakes up our school-age daughter and gets her dressed. He makes dinner many nights too b/c he gets home earlier than I do, and the kids want me me me at the end of the day. Great husbands rock!
ReplyDeleteHOORAY for teamwork!
ReplyDeletewe have every single block in the house out, making structures designed by my two year old;) we are having a snack break, pear slices and goldfish-and i am checking a few fave blogs in my reader;)
xo
I love those "everyday moments" photos!!
ReplyDeleteMy Sassy does the same thing as Bianca, too cute!! Love her headband, by the way.
You have an adorable family and an awesome husband!
That stairs pic of Clay cracks me up. We don't have stairs in this house but our last house did, and we have one really funny story about a potty-training child and a trip down the stairs just like that, but the pants were around the ankles. We didn't realize that last little tidbit until said child was in a pile at the bottom.
ReplyDeleteOur day... well, I was up several times last night with one sick and pathetic child. Always sad. She's perking up a little and has kept down a little breakfast. Others have low fevers so it was another day off school for everyone. I finally went back to bed when the baby took a nap because I just HAD to and just now got out of the shower...so I'm feeling at least fresh (if a little zombie-ish). Also, my hubby helps a TON, too - except he just hit the busy season for work, so we'll see how it goes. :) Have a happy day!
but your missing one! love live blog posts :)
ReplyDeleteWell, today is a typical week day for me. Up earlier than I'd like, drive/worship to work, put in 8 hrs, drive home, figure out what's for dinner. Tonight I get to bake cookies for a church thing and go to a friends Bible study. Sounds just about as mundane as it is, but God's teaching me how to be thankful and find real life in the mundane. Like finding the beauty in this season that's preparing my for returning to Uganda; like holding up the arms (so to speak) of a friend who's family is falling apart. There's beauty and life there. He is there. and hopefully in my rambling words :)
ReplyDeleteToday I am still in my pj's trying to sleep as much as I can because I am 38 weeks and 5 days pregnant with our first child :) She is weighing heavily on my bones and I think it could be any day now. We are so excited but I am becoming anxious and irritated because I have contractions almost every night from 2am-7am then they just stop and there's no baby.
ReplyDeleteFollowing along with your day while I work next to Mark at the kitchen table. Three identity designs on my plate right now, and I was just inspired to create a concept I'm really, really into. That doesn't happen very often on the first try.
ReplyDeleteI'm envious of the teamwork in your home, big and little.
Love you and yours! Happy day, friend.
So sweet! Now I am going to make banana bread. Love it. When I called Matt last night about the house stuff he said he was doing laundry I said we need to have a talk with Eli. Ha! Team work really does make all the difference. I just put the two little ones down for a nap and I am picking out pictures to mail to the kids birth mom and trying to type out a letter to go with it before the three older ones get home but I can never resist checking out my favorite blogs. =)
ReplyDeletelikely you already know this-for cheap vacation, (because i know you are in indiana) the lake beach in michigan city is beautiful and fun! there is even a little zoo nearby(also an outlet mall) we love going there, always a peaceful time! my uncle lives there, so we enjoy it often!!
ReplyDeletelove that they burst into a singing session, banana bread watching makes me happy too;)
I love this! I am stumped on Mother's Day. I'd love to say to my Moms that Listen To Your Mother is their present but um, it's not like I am even mentioning them in the show. So... need ideas. Maybe I'll just get them something in Vegas?
ReplyDeleteNext vacay? I think you'd love Boulder, CO!
Steph
Cute! I love that you and hubby are a "team"!
ReplyDeleteI know I could not do it without my team mate.
Oh I know where you should go on your next vacation......... Here, mi casa!!!!!!
Just finished at the grocery store. Thank goodness for "mommy clips" and bakery cookies. I hook the clip on the infant twin stroller and hook a plastic shopping basket into that & Preschooler with a bribe of a cookie at the end of the trip buys me about 1/2 hour. Shopping with only a basket definitely limits you=esentials only in a half hour.... : ) Looking forward to "Listen to Your Mother" and love your pictures... always! Fort Wayne Childrens Zoo is amazing... especially for young babes and totally do-able in a day! I'll meet you there!
ReplyDeleteoh jennifer! im exactly as far along as you are, with my 4th!!! contractions like that for about 6 weeks now! heres what i wrote on my facebook page today, hope it helps:
ReplyDeletehas God ever hit you with a ton of bricks? while laying in bed at 5am because i cant sleep, it hit me. BANG!!! although my doctor is constantly inconsistent and unreliable about my due date, and delivery date, God already has her birthday picked out just for her!!! He has already chosen the perfect day for her! and i have to trust that it will be ok. kinda hard :)
So fun! I love this idea!!
ReplyDeleteOh and for vacation....definitely Clearwater/St.Pete, FL....or right in between the two along the gulf where the water is warm and the beaches are beautiful but its cheaper and the pace is slower and not so busy. And whatdayaknow you might have a friend or two nearby!!!! ; )
ltym sounds awesome!!
ReplyDeleteanother vacation idea-disneyland! it truly is the happiest place on earth;) we went for the first time in february-in love with it! so much, we are going back in september;)
I adore your live blog posts.
ReplyDeleteWhat I'm up to today? I get off of work in a bit over half an hour. I'm going to spend a few minutes on house work, lift weights (I've fallen in love!), and have my sister-in-law over. She wants to buy 31 Bits jewelry for her bridesmaids (!). Her wedding is in less than 6 weeks, so I'm guessing we will end up talking about the details for awhile...
UPDATE: I just had two hot dogs, and now we're eating Asher's Easter candy. The music is turned up loud.
ReplyDeleteI love Sarah's update! We have been having Easter leftovers for dinner but tonight I might do a frozen pizza just to change it up a bit! Jeff's been out of town so it feels appropriate! Also, PAPER PLATE NIGHT.
ReplyDeleteSteph
I love the live blogging! I've been meaning to do a "day in the life" post for awhile, but keep forgetting to take pictures all day. Maybe tomorrow?
ReplyDeleteI SOOO wish I was near you guys. The show is going to be amazing!
UPDATE: Post sugar high crash starts now! I wish we had paper plates! Hey! Go watch this now! http://bit.ly/VPcH
ReplyDeleteAlso, I just used a new kitchen soap and I can't stop sniffing my hands.
ReplyDeleteohhhhh--what kind of soap, sarah?!
ReplyDeletemy day is nearly over... well for the most part... i'll soon be on nite duty with the baby ;) your day looks like it was great! i think you should vacation here in pittsburgh so we can have a play date ;) seriously though... what about the outer banks of north carolina? it's our favorite:)
ReplyDeleteYou have the most fun blog ever. Love me some Love.
ReplyDeleteloved following along with your day! It kept me entertained through my monotonous day job and brought be joy as I get ready to sleep! So excited for your boys to be home. Praying that you will find peace in being still. Thank you for sharing your life with us. It is inspiring and always challenging.
ReplyDeleteAs for vacation spots?! I say anywhere on the coast of North Carolina! a) it is beautiful b) I live 3 hours from there c) I would totally come show you around and help with the 7 kiddos d) I am sure anna marie would come too. :o)
ps. just love that picture of Clay on the stairs...priceless...
stricklmb@gmail.com
having an extra 9 for dinner would be fun :)
ReplyDeletewe'd love to have you ALL! xo
ReplyDeleteloved following your day today, great idea. praying for your family, especially the new boys ;)
xo
2 Corinthians 9:8 ESV
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.
Fun to hear and see your whole day layed out for you! I also couldn't do my house each day without my hubby! :)
ReplyDeletelove sharing in your day and love you! Still praying along with you and so excitedly looking forward to hearing the time has come to bring those boys home!!!
ReplyDeleteand vacation spot?! the gulf coast would be fun ~ destin, fl or orange beach, al maybe?? and oh yeah...they are both close to pensacola!! ;) (and depending on timing there might just be some itty bitty baby cuddling to be done....just sayin....) i'm sure wherever you choose will be lots of fun!! hugs!!
FYI--fully aware of your family being large and potentially loud. That's why you should come here--you'd fit right in! : )
ReplyDeletei just loved being "let in on" the inner workings of your day. It's beautiful. and THANK God for your precious husband... it was a reminder for me to be ever so thankful for mine... and that it sure is a "we" isn't it. And we too are in a "wait", and "be still" part in our lives... listening for that "still small voice".
ReplyDeleteLove, it's Mrs. Meyers' Parsley. I'm a diehard fan of the Lavender, and that's usually what I buy, but I decided to branch out. LOVE it.
ReplyDeletep.s I love how 'Anca's hair is curling!
Love when you give us glimpses of your day! Can't wait to hear more news on your boys, either! And, we're going to Michigan City for our vacation again this year because we LOVED it so much last year. We'll be there the weekend of Fathers Day and the week following...staying at the big yellow house on the dune in Beachwalk...come on over for a visit! There's always room for more! ;)
ReplyDeletei l.o.v.e. this glimpse into your life. i am requesting one of these about once a month, okay?
ReplyDeleteobviously, i missed this yesterday ... but currently? lucy is taking her 4th short nap of the day [teeth] while emma is playing in her fold out school bus ... reading to her babies.
i am prepping dinner and picking up toys before ken gets home. i love nights when he's home ... i agree that tag teaming it is so much better. even with just two. ;)
I loved that day. Except your stressful bedtime. We don't have any extra money right now and someone that really needs some just called me and asked for 1,000 so I am going to just have to pray all day and see if I can have a party for Anika and donate $200. Thank you for spreading love.
ReplyDeleteLoved the live blog. Super fun! The stair picture & the banana bread one Favorites!
ReplyDeleteMy husband gets up with the kids, too. What a blessing. I love it!
California makes an awesome vacation. Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Fran (& us!)
MmmmK... Bianca & Clay and freakin' adorable!!!! And, let's see something about me... I went to Taylor University up in your neck of the woods! Just flew home (right now home is WA, soon to be Germany) from OH where I saw some of my closest TU girl friends for the weekend! Thanks for posting sweet, real thoughts about life and the Lord! -Kelly
ReplyDeleteThanks for that sneak peek into your day. What a beautiful life you lead...and you capture it on-camera so well.
ReplyDeletestephanie@metropolitanmama.net
So nice to have them ALL in bed at 7:46! Wish I could manage that. I am envious of the grace you seem to have in your mothering. I have struggled a lot since we added our 2 little Ugandans to the family. Not because of them, just the sheer number of children and the increase in little ones, at my age, after a grueling 6 weeks in Uganda combined with several major health problems after I returned.
ReplyDeleteI am so anxious to hear about your boys! Where are they from and how old are they? Hoping and praying you get a court date soon.