love for Anika.
so. i have something big today.
something really, really big.
my heart is broken for waiting children.
broken.
a waiting child is one that has been cleared for adoption
and literally just waits for their family.
many times these children are overlooked because
of their age, their health conditions &/or the fears that can come with these things.
here's what i know:
-God is bigger than any label this world can put on a child.
-'older' kids are worth it.
-medical needs can be some of the biggest 'hidden' blessings ever.
-perfect love drives out fear.
well, despite our family already waiting to bring our 2 waiting children home,
i found myself looking through the profiles of waiting children the other night.
i scrolled and read, scrolled and read.
and then?
the breath caught in my throat.
hot tears on my cheeks.
a little girl.
2 1/2 years old.
ridiculously cute.
her name?
Anika
why does Anika wait?
the real answer is because her family just hasn't found her yet,
but i would guess that 2 other things play into it.
the fact that she is HIV+.
the fact that her adoption will cost a total $33,000.
i couldn't quit thinking about her. i woke up thinking about her.
i fell asleep hearing the gentle whisper that her family was out there...
that she wasn't our daughter, but we could help her home.
i would hug our Anika...safe, secure, loved....& be filled with sadness
for the Anika across the world who might have no concept of what those things mean.
so, i just want to clear up those 2 'barriers' that are keeping her waiting.
first, the fact that she's HIV+.
if you haven't heard the truth about HIV, you have to visit Project Hopeful.
the truth is that there is ZERO risk of transmitting HIV to someone else through casual contact.
this includes: hugging, kissing, biting, sharing food, taking a bath, sharing a toilet seat.
HIV is very manageable & with proper care, people with HIV have a normal life expectancy.
children with HIV need to take medication twice a day & see their
pediatric infectious disease doctor every few months.
that's it.
the second barrier? i understand that adoption is expensive.
the beauty in that is the way it allows others to rally around you
and bless you. so, i believe that Anika has a family out there.
i want to bless them.
i want them to see her sweet, little face & know.
i want them to not have money be an obstacle.
i want to make the difference for one. for Anika.
[and pray that it ripples, ripples, ripples.]
here is where you come in.
don't run. this is so easy. so fun.
i am giddy with excitement to watch this play out.
150 people [you!] have a get together in the month of May.
they invite 9 of their friends to have a night in instead of a night out.
each of those 9 friends [and you!] bring $20 to donate to Anika's adoption fund.
150 parties x 10 people x 20 dollars = $30,000
Anika's life spared from an institution & the hope of being part
of a loving family simply because you shared her story & had
a fun night with your friends in her honor!
just think what an opportunity this is!
i know May is busy.
i know that this might be out of some of your comfort zones.
but, Anika is worth it. i just know it.
whatever you have done for the least of these, you've done for HIM!
are you in?
[PLEASE say you're in!]
if you are, link up below with your blog.
if you link up, it means that you will host a get together for
Anika and donate the collected $200 into her adoption fund by the end of May.
[if you don't have a blog or other URL, just let me know & we'll get you on the list!]
have as much fun with this as you want!
spread the word however you can.
then, plan your get together.....
a fancy, swanky party? pajama party? dinner? brunch? picnic?
just get planning & keep me informed!
send me pictures of your Love for Anika parties...
i'd love to share them!
just go! let's get this little girl a family & the funds!
150 people. okay.........GO!


Love
ReplyDeleteWould love some more info about her...Where should I look? Thank you!
Jill
This is so awesome, Love. I assume you're hosting a party? I'm so there. If not, I'll host one. I want this little girl to find her family.
ReplyDeleteHi Love,
ReplyDeleteThis is a strange way to meet someone. I am from Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada. I have been following your blog since I found a link to it from Tracie Loux's blog. I love your heart for adoption and the orphan. It has been encouraging and challenging to me. Anyway, I just wanted to say I am going to love joining you all in this! Blessings to you.
I'm so excited, I've never really thrown a fundraiser party, but I would love to.
ReplyDeleteI am thinking of throwing a face-painting party, and inviting some moms with kids (thankfully I know many). I need a bigger house lol!
yep- i'm all over this. i'm gonna have a sewing lesson party! everyone brings $20 for anika, their sewing machine, and we all learn something :)
ReplyDeleteOh, Love.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry I got your hopes up and then let you down. (I did the same to myself.) I never meant to do that. But for Anika? I'd love to contribute to her fund.
I'm going to change one of my bridal showers into a Love for Anika party. I had way too many of those lined up anyways! Yay! How exciting!
ReplyDeleteLove: What a wonderful idea! Spread the joy!
ReplyDeleteAnna Marie: That is such a kind idea! Beautiful!
Love, I want to try to pull this off. (Though we go out of town for a good portion of May... So, pray I can do this!)
ReplyDeleteI am looking around the website trying to find this info & can't. Can you help? - For a fund like this, where there is no identified family, does the money just go into holding until the adoption is in process. For folks who wonder about this, do you know if there is a faq page? I am missing it, I think.
Thanks!
Love, thank you for your heart, your action and your creativity.
ReplyDeleteParties plus action is pretty much my love language.
Blessed to be a small part of this big story.
I don't have a blog to link up with, but I read about this from Julie (Joy's Hope) and immediately knew that I wanted to help. So I am committing to hosting a party! Blessed to be a blessing to that little cutie and her family!
ReplyDeleteI am going to host a party in honor of Anika. Thank you for your loving generous heart.
ReplyDeletei am hosting a 'dresses for orphans' party! everyone brings a pillow case, $20, and we sew pillow case dresses, embellish as our imaginations see fit, then give the dresses to Kids Alive to be distributed to an orphanage.
ReplyDelete-tell your 'seeker' friend about this, she is doing a sewing lesson... :)
I was just reading the comments and saw that someone found you through Tracie Loux's blog. Do you know her? She was the agent (is that what it's called) that worked with my brother in law and his wife. Crazy, crazy! Praying for you and for a miracle to happen for Anika.
ReplyDeletejoining you, sweet friend!!
ReplyDeleteyou are a champion! praise jesus!
xoxo
Bless her heart. Are we having a party locally? I'm there.
ReplyDeleteSteph
erin--yes! the money that is donated right on Anika's specific page [that i linked to] will be held by Reeces Rainbow for her family once they find her. her picture/info will then move to the 'my family found me' page. [!!!] =)
ReplyDeletethanks for trying to join us. i'm so, so moved by each one of you that has linked up and that is sharing her story on your blog, twitter or FB! THANK YOU !!
My sister and I will be co-hosting a "double" party (with at least 20 people, according to our plan)- not sure if that "counts" as 2 entries.
ReplyDeleteLove, I will host a party! I do not have a blog. Can you add me to the list??
ReplyDeleteWhere do we donate the money once we host the get together and can we invite more than 9 people and do we have this get together by a certain deadline date ? Sorry for all the questions but I will pray on this because this sounds like something we would like to do with our prayer group to do this
ReplyDeletesarah--yes, link up twice if you'll committ to $400! awesome!!!
ReplyDeletesummer--there are really no rules. you can do whatever kind of get together with as many people giving as much as you'd like! to link up, i'm asking people to commit to at least $200. and to have the party sometime in May. as soon as you've collected the money, you donate directly on Anika's Reeces Rainbow page. http://reecesrainbow.org/anika-23 the funds will then be held for when her family finds her! =)
would LOVE to have you join in!! thank you!!
What a wonderful idea. Thank you for finding my blog and sharing with me. I will put a link on my blog here and mention it. I will also see if I can get people to come to a party. I normally focus on trying to raise money for people who have already committed to a child because I see how hard it is for them to raise money once they have committed but your idea sounds like so much fun I just might have to join in. Plus, you should mention that everyone's donation is tax deductible and if they have companies that have a matching fund plan, like my husband's, they should let their place of employment know they made a donation.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing about Anika.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to fill you in on all the details of our get - together. Some mommy-friends and I already had a picnic splash park casual event penciled in. The ladies were calling it "Kid Chaos."
A couple of us are now certain it was MEANT to be for Miss Anika.
I can't do a party right now, but I'd love to help with someones! I bake delicious things and I'm good at party favors!!!! Let me know if I can help at all.
ReplyDeleteLove this! My heart aches for all the waiting children. Mostly older boys as we adopted one and he is such a blessing:) Our family would love to host a party!
ReplyDeleteI have tons of pictures of this li'l darling. Anyone can feel free to email me for those.
ReplyDeletehttp://positivelyorphaned.org/contact/