on telling stories.

our family had a quick, little getaway this weekend.
the house that i lived in during my first 2 years of college
[Purdue!] invited me to speak at their annual retreat.
they also invited my whole family which was so kind &
considerate, as we just can't have extra time apart right now.

the theme was redemption & i spoke on orphan care & adoption.
it was the first time i've spoken publicly about this topic
that is so dear to my heart.  it was a blessing.  i pray it
was to them; it definitely was to me.

 there is something so powerful about telling our
stories.  about being willing to share the really hard
and the really beautiful.  as i listened to the other speakers
and the other women there share, i was so grateful for those
willing to step out of their comfort zone and seek God's will
for their lives and their right now. 
 it was at a camp & we stayed in their dorm style lodge.
it felt like summer camp or the cold air dorms in college,
but with my family.  so fun.  
the big girls switched from this top bunk to that one,
made forts in the bunks & sat on top chatting & coloring.
such a sweet, little time away.
and maybe our last as a family of 7?!
[i am hopeful, but also i'm feeling so much peace about the timing.]
--------------------------
i'm originally from around the indianapolis area & loved the vision
& work that one of the ministries there is doing.  they spoke
at the retreat, too & thought i'd link you there for anyone that
does happen to be in that area. 

Comments

  1. love your stories. love your pictures. love your family. love that you have allowed us into your love. thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and have followed it for a while. I live near downtown Indy and share in your passion for Africa and orphans. I have two sons from Ethiopia and lived in Kenya for a while, working with orphans. If you are ever in the Indy area, I would love to meet up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't life just one big HUGE story ??? With all our little stories ... and sharing them connects us with all other stories! I'm sure your story was SUCH a blessing to all who heard. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you've said here about sharing stories. It's been one of the most pleasant, powerful surprises about blogging for me: soaking up the encouragement, being inspired by others' journeys, finding comfort in knowing you are not alone in [whatever].

    Thanks also for linking to Tear Down the Walls -- I love what they're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a neat thing to share "publicly" what you are passionate about! praise the lord for your little family getaway-certainly a treat;)
    xo

    (ps just posted something you may be interested in;) http://aholeistodig.blogspot.com/2011/04/bunnies-for-bugembe-update.html)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for that link--what a beautiful opportunity.

    ps i'm loving watching your narrative unfold. God spins the best stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that your whole family was invited. :)
    And our stories? God is amazing at writing these stories... And you, Love, are amazing at telling them.

    In the first picture, I can't get over the fact that soon there will be TWO BOYS standing in the empty space... Amazing. And telling. And tearful.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun way to spend a weekend. I am glad you could share!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like it was both meaningful and fun....the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you're telling your story, Love! It's such a powerful one.

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts