chained.
i'd say this was the most unusual--and the most beautiful--
place that i've ever done wound care.
we had just run a wound clinic at a children's prison.
yes, you read that right.
a prison. for children.
allowed one t-shirt & pants a few days after they've arrived.
one "meal" a day.
299 other children with you.
locked in a room at times.
mattresses 22 years old that are filled with urine & feces.
a prison. for children.
we had left the rest of our medical supplies with them, but
it was obvious that this boy needed his wound cleaned.
so, we stopped on the side of the road and improvised.
mismatched gloves. bottled water. antiseptic towel. dry gauze found in
a travel 1st aid kit and a big bandaid.
were the resources fancy?
nope. but, God provided just what the boy needed.
and isn't that what He is good at?
providing what we need.
what i needed today is to be broken.
to see beautiful, precious, sweet children imprisoned.
to see them working on someone else's land without
the possibility of even having one of the extra mangoes.
to see them full of joy kicking a ball of trash around the compound.
to see a women knocking on the door of the isolation room to let them
out for the first time in days and they be so scared that they not even come.
to see the real, true injustice of the world so that i cannot turn from it.
to see it.
what they need?
freedom.
freedom literally. freedom in Him.
| [isolation cell] |

Love, wow wow wow. That's all I can say. I'm speechless. You're doing amazing work.
ReplyDeleteOh, Love. How can you ever come back? I just feel like we need to scoop our lives up here and come to you, to them.
ReplyDeleteMissing you a lot today.
Steph
Wow. I just read this to my children, and hopefully it has gotten them thinking. I know that it has me.
ReplyDeleteThank you for doing this Love. Thank you for listening to God and His plan for you.
i'm still digesting "children's prison".
ReplyDeleteoh, and also, i agree with steph.
Why on earth are the children in prison? How long do they have to stay there for?
ReplyDeleteI don't understand....
makes you see what others have to go thru and then be so thankful for what we have and where we live!!
ReplyDeleteYou are doing such a wonderful thing for all of these people of Uganda. You are my HERO!! Keep up the good work. I am very honored to know you and call you my friend. God is good. Thank you for sharing your journey. You don't realize how lucky you are until you see it from another perspective. This is so sad, but so normal in these parts of the world. Praying for you and all of the people of Uganda.
ReplyDeletespeechless
ReplyDeleteand sick
and so very proud of you
A children's prison?!
ReplyDeleteLove, I want to be there with you. Really.
I'll stick to praying and thanking for now.
I'm with A Little Bit of Me - can you give us more details???
ReplyDeleteSometimes I don't understand this world. Reading this made me understand it even less, made tears sting my eyes and my breath stop in my throat. But in not understand, I almost understand better. For all the bad, for childrens' prisons for things that make no sense, there's the good... in you dressing that boy's wound, tenderly touching his ankle and letting him know that someone does care.
ReplyDeleteI love you. So much.
And our world is consumed with buying the hottest and latest? God help us. God forgive us.
ReplyDeleteThank you for being their voice.
My heart is heavy.
Oh, my heart. I want to help. Thank you for telling their story.
ReplyDeleteOh Love... I don't have words.
ReplyDeleteExcept ditto exactly to Steph's and D's comments.
And I've never wanted to be a nurse before in my life, until now, so I could attempt to be in the kind of service that you are giving.
And xoxoxoxoxoxo. To you and them.
you are the hands and feet and love of Jesus to them...hard to comprehend their suffering...but Jesus loves and cares for them in a way we don't understand. keep showering them with love!
ReplyDeletemy heart, my heart!
ReplyDeleteThis post broke my heart. A children's prison? I cannot comprehend how such a thing can even exist.
ReplyDeleteYou amaze me, the way you've opened your heart not just to the beauty but to all the ugly bits as well. And that you're searching to add to the good.
So very heartbreaking. What do these children do to be put away like this?
ReplyDeleteJESUS come quickly!
oh, Love. how do you do it? you are amazing. these kids need us.
ReplyDeleteI'm sick about this.
ReplyDeletePraying for you and all those babies.
I'm a new reader/blogger, but I think that this was the perfect time to start reading. My heart is broken. And I needed that. To make a change.. in my life, and hopefully the lives of others one day soon. There is no doubt that those children saw love and hope where there was none... all because of you today.
ReplyDeletePraying for you and serving, the loving, the caring you are doing. Destiny
ReplyDeleteLove -
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for venturing out to "M" today. Thank you so much for being the hands and feet of Christ. Scott just said that you are doing just what Christ would do - you are washing this boy's feet. Just as Christ did His disciples. Thank you. Big hugs from Atlanta and from the team of SixtyFeet.
Much love and prayers -
thanks for shining a light into their world. they need you. they need us. they need GOD. and you are being His voice and hands.
ReplyDeletewe take our freedom for granted every moment and it takes stories like these to give us real perspective. thanks for sharing, as difficult as it is to read.
oh, lovelyn.
ReplyDeletei read this and keep hoping for God to show up. and then i get it - he shows up through me. (and in this case, you.) God, break me.
praying, all you can do with that
ReplyDeletewishing i could be there with you. knowing you are light in darkness. knowing that what you did today had impact beyond what you know. wanting to bring all of those children home. praying for His next step and the light that you are shining on this darkness. the darkness has to flee from light and you my dear friend, carry light everywhere you go!
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing experience/journey you are on! Love your Blog. We have five little boys from Ukraine and our journey will continue to adopt three of our boys older sister and perhaps one or two more little ones! Thank you for your heart and your desire to bring awareness to the many children out there who need someone to call their own! Blessings!
ReplyDeleteWow. I feel sick & teary and I'm not sure what to do with knowing this.
ReplyDeleteOh Love, I am praying for you tonight and these helpless children. I don't understand. Thank God that you were there to give them a smile and your love. Dear God, give Love the strength she needs to face these situations and be with these poor children.
ReplyDeleteHeart broken.
ReplyDeletethank you for this post. i am sick to my stomach right now. not because of a children's prison or dirty wound. but because when i saw that picture, my VERY first thought was "cute shoes. i wonder where she got them." lord have mercy on me. this is why i need your blog. this is why i am a little stowaway on your trip. because i am so very small. and i need to see what you are seeing and let god change me. because the hurt in the world in so very big. and, somehow, god is bigger still. thank you.
ReplyDeletemy heart is breaking all over again. how can any human treat a child like this? a gift straight from God like this??
ReplyDeletechained.
ReplyDeleteprison.
broken.
freedom.
those are the words that stuck out to me. praying for Jesus' redemption for these children and the adults in authority there at m.
what if that woman had not noticed the shabby sign on the dirt road? i imagine God made it stand out to her as if it had flash bulbs. El Roi, He is bringing those children relief through her, through 60ft, your ladies and others!
Yes, I've read about that place. You are brave for going... so so so horrible! Praying.
ReplyDeleteI want to type this comment, but I have no idea what to write. I may lose my dinner. This sickens me. Sick. so so sick. Why on earth would there be a prison for children. Why? ...
ReplyDeleteI'm just wondering what could get a child thrown in jail... so cruel. Nice story and thank the Lord for people like you!
ReplyDeletewow! Just wow! Thank you Love
ReplyDeleteI cannot imagine what it is like to see this, to know these precious children and still find words to express it. Thank you for sharing, and for breaking our hearts with yours.
ReplyDeleteI can hardly process your words and this photo. The fact that you are there is so inspiring, so perfect.
ReplyDeleteI am at a adoptive moms retreat and i just saw 60feet's video tonight. Lifechanging. Thank you for serving.
ReplyDeleteWhat in the world could tiny children do that would land them in a prison?????? That is unbelievable. You are doing amazing things!
ReplyDeleteBreaks my heart to pieces!
ReplyDeleteI want to rescue them ALL.
stephanie@metropolitanmama.net
there are no words. i can't wait to see how we can get involved tomorrow!
ReplyDelete