hands [and feet.]
when i turned away & headed back out on that red dirt,
suitcases packed & my baby snuggled into my sling,
i walked away from 52 other children in an orphanage because i was not their mother.
i walked away from 2,499,999 million children in my son's birth country
that didn't have a family.
i had looked many of them in the eye & held them on my lap
while telling them that they were loved.
then, i walked away.
that has really thrown me for a loop as i prepare to return to Africa soon.
how am i going to go there, see them and then just walk away again?
how am i going to tell them how loved they are when someone just
swoops in for a few days, gives some cans of formula & diapers then leaves forever?
i whisper in their ears that they are loved by the greatest Father of all.
but, really...how can they even believe it?
how can we ask them to trust us that they are loved when they haven't been shown?
we have to meet them there.
we have to go to their land and fight to preserve their families.
we have to be the hands and feet.
we have to be willing to open our hearts and our homes and our families.
without the fear in our head that says what if...
what if the money doesn't come in?
what if he has a special need?
what if attachment is hard?
what if she has food/trust/medical issues?
what if we find out at the last minute that she is HIV+?
what if he is 6 years instead of 6 months?
what if this is the hardest thing i've ever done?
well....
this is supposed to be hard.
we are supposed to be living differently.
we are supposed to be radically different.
we aren't supposed to be happy...we are meant to be content.
we aren't supposed to sit around blissfully drinking our lattes.
we are supposed to see the pain and the agnony and the
ridiculous discrepancy of the quality of life in this world
and do something about it.
we are supposed to do something about it.
orphan care is big and wide and messy.
it is unfathomable sometimes, but we cannot close our eyes.
once our eyes are open, we cannot pretend we don't know.
He holds us responsible to act.
[according to Proverbs 24:12]
obviously, i believe adoption is a beautiful thing.
it is a beautiful picture on Earth of our adoption into His family.
the thing is...
we can't just adopt a child and expect the global orphan crisis to be solved.
163 million orphans.
we have to work on family preservation. we have to figure out how to better
support ministries serving these children. we have to figure out how to get them
the resources they need & how they can become self-sustaining. we have to care
about the ones here & the ones there. we have to be willing to love the newborn
with HIV and the 8 year old with special needs.
we have to give up our own ideas, plans & hopes & find His will.
------------------------------------
this post is part of the Idea Camp blog.
if you'd like to explore your role in the orphan crisis,
i highly encourage you to join Idea Camp
on February 25-26th in Northwest Arkansas.
they will be exploring orphan care and the church.
The conference will facilitate fresh, honest and transformative conversations
with leading thinkers and practitioners on topics including US & International care,
community development, trafficking of orphans, adoption, foster care, child sponsorship,
HIV/AIDS, special needs, cross-cultural & religious dynamics to care, and many more.
Your sweet photo speaks as beautifully as your words. I agree, amen. May God stir us all to action.
ReplyDeleteI hear it. I feel it. Seeking Jesus to help me live it.
ReplyDeleteWOW.
ReplyDelete"this is supposed to be hard.
we are supposed to be living differently.
we are supposed to be radically different."
Preach it. (and may the Holy Spirit continue to convict me as painfully as He did as I read those words.)
Praying for you as you go.
Great post...I want to go back to Russia too, although I know it would be hard. But how could I not go? Sharing this post with a few of my friends ... And would like to share a post from my best friend with you ... This is from yesterday and it reminds me of your post ... http://ourstorycontinued.blogspot.com/2011/01/his-voice.html
ReplyDeleteOh Love...this resonates with my heart so deeply. While i have yet to adopt, I have a heart for the orphan and have loved them in U.ganda a few times (and plan on returning very soon). These are things I wrestle with as well. I fight with you against the status quo for Christians. Thank you so.much. for your words, your heart, and your passion.
ReplyDeleteWow, just awesome. And the pics of your little ones are beautiful. I hear your heart! Our church group is going to Haiti in June and this will be my first trip out of the US. Part of me wishes I already knew what to expect.
ReplyDeleteYes. Exactly this.
ReplyDeleteBri
I know that there's something that I'm supposed to do, but I just don't know *yet* what it is. I absolutely know in my heart that there is(or will be) a part of my heart & family there- My husband and I were just talking of it last night. It's in our hearts, but it's just so hard knowing that it's not the time yet, knowing that even the little we'd currently be able to offer is more than what so many will ever have, but still knowing that it's not time. And if it's hard for me, while I have enough food for many leftovers, how hard is it for the innocent helpless that have nothing? I don't know where I'm going with this... ;) I guess I'm just thankful for a place to go where there are kindred spirits. Thanks friend.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. I believe the hardest part in adopting will be walking away from the orphanage and leaving the others behind. Thank you for your heart for adoption and orphans and sharing!!
ReplyDeleteYES!!!! Awesome post, totally right on. Have you read the book Radical? My hubby & I loved it... & are also trying to live this out. I especially think the 'happiness vs. contentment' thing is the big challenge for the church in America, for us as individuals trying to live radically within our culture.
ReplyDeletetwo days ago i stood in the bathroom gripped with a certainty that the days ahead will be the hardest we've known yet, and i could only pray that He'll sustain us all.
ReplyDeleteyou're so right. i was not made to be comfortable. i was made to praise.
Oh, you said it so well!
ReplyDeleteagreed.
ReplyDeleteI have never read your blog before but my friend just posted a link in the comment section of my post today telling me to read this and that I am not alone. Thank you for this post. Thank you Lord that I am not bearing the burden alone.
ReplyDeleteExactly. Very well said--and because I can't articulate what I am trying to explain to my husband as well as you just did I made him read it and said. That, that right there is what I am trying to explain. So Thank you.
ReplyDeleteExactly. Very well said--and because I can't articulate what I am trying to explain to my husband as well as you just did I made him read it and said. That, that right there is what I am trying to explain. So Thank you.
ReplyDeleteWorded perfectly.
ReplyDeleteMuch love,
Future Mama
http://expectingablessing.blogspot.com/
Beautiful picture and Beautiful Post
ReplyDeleteYes. This...it is SO not easy, but it's not supposed to be. It would be easy to stay in the comforts of what we have, but we know we are to do more. First, we bring Songbird home and then who knows....we are open to His will and direction. But Lord knows! It is not easy, but you can never forget those faces...the ones left behind. There are so many and it breaks my heart.
ReplyDeleteYes and amen.
ReplyDeleteThis is so beautiful that I've read it three times. I can't really come up with a comment that sums up how it made me feel, so I'll just leave it at: Beautiful, Love, so beautiful.
ReplyDeletePainfully lovely.
ReplyDeleteWe live in China and foster a little guy with the hopes of finding him a forever family. The reality of orphans is grim and there must be wider solutions for them. Family preservation, economic realities that allow families to stay together, justice. You said it well.
Well, that was a kick-in-the-pants, wasn't it? (The good kind!)
ReplyDeleteThanks for continuing to challenge all of us to think (and live) outside-the-box.
stephanie@metropolitanmama.net
"What if we find out she's HIV+" . . . What if? She would lead a long and healthy life. You don't have to publish this comment. I just wanted to address that line that makes it sound like HIV is scary. I don't know how educated/current you are on HIV--you may already know it is NOT scary. But to the average reader, lines like that don't do anything to promote awareness of what it really means and seem to only further the idea/ignorance that it's something to be scared about. I'd encourage you to do a post on what HIV today means and not just leave an open-ended hypothetical question. It'd be a great opportunity to advocate for those kids living with HIV if you simply said, "What if we find out at the last minute that she is HIV+?" and then added a "click here to find out 'What if.' " vs just leaving the q. open-ended, which makes it sound worrisome to a reader who is not aware (which, I would speculate is the majority of readers!).
ReplyDeleteTruth is spreading, and that means great news for children/adoption!!! Check out projecthopeful.org for resources/fact/videos/etc.
anonymous....
ReplyDeletei'm not sure if you've never been to my blog before, but it seems like you don't know much about me at all. also seems like maybe you didn't read the rest of the post?? my point was what if the child has HIV...SO WHAT! WHO CARES! i've linked to project hopeful several times on my blog and i actually do have a whole informative post coming up on HIV when i share about the day i spent with an orphanage for HIV+ children recently.
this post was really just more about my heart and i'm sorry that you feel that i'm not appropriately advocating for these precious children.
there is no doubt in my mind that HIV is nothing to be scared of and that it is very manageable and thankfully these people can live a full life.
Anonymous, trust me when I say there is no one out there more likely to shrug and say "so what?" to HIV than Love. It's sad that you weren't able to read her blog with an open mind and heart and comment truly knowing the type of human she is.
ReplyDelete