1 little, 2 little, 3 little blessings...
i took the kids out while matt had some meetings on saturday.
honestly, it rarely crosses my mind about taking them out.
they are my children. we go out. the end.
but, then there are the [usually well-meaning, but didn't think-before-speaking] people
that remind me that maybe our family doesn't look the the "normal" american size family.
particularly the lady that exclaimed [no seriously, EXCLAIMED]
my word! just how many kids do you have with you today?!?!
i simply answered, five.
another lady chimed in,
well, aren't you brave coming here with all of THEM!
[and just for the record, the kids were being very well behaved.]
i'm not trying to sound rude. i know that a lot of times people just want to talk.
or they speak without thinking about the feelings that could be implied from their words.
i'm not brave.
i'm just a girl, who has been blessed with five children & we enjoy going out together.
i was so thankful as we left that day,
one of the workers cheerfully said,
have you got all your little blessings gathered? have a good day!
never underestimate the power of your words...
to the mom at the post office with her 4 kids.
to the man in a wheel chair that wants the cereal on the top shelf.
to the young lady serving you your coffee.
to the little boy that is asking you to come play ball.
to yourself as you look in the mirror.
here are my words to you:
i appreciate you.
yes, you. thank you for coming here.
for reading some of my heart.
thank you when you take the time to read my heart and then share some of yours--
whether through your stories or your encouragement.
you are beautiful. seriously.
i'm thankful for your story...that's what all of this is about;
learning others' stories and loving them for exactly who they are.
have a wonderful day with any kind of little blessings you've been given!
I have only commented once before but todays post really resonated with me. Thank you to you too!!
ReplyDeleteSarah
Adelaide, Australia
Thank you for this post! I don't have children of my own, but I am a pediatric occupational therapist and I have the privilege of working with other people's children all day. While I LOVE my job and my kids, honestly? sometimes it's challenging and sometimes the kids are just plain out hard to handle. Thank you for reminding me this morning that each one is a blessing!
ReplyDeleteAnd thank YOU for writing such sweet words.
ReplyDeletewow. your words are fabulous...i couldn't have said it better myself! thank you. i am also interested in the 31 bits piece... having a party or something. thanks so much. hope your day is BLESSED! melissa. P.S. my friend just told me about your blog. i love your style!
ReplyDeletebeautifully written! And oh I LOVE that photo! :)
ReplyDeleteI don't think much about taking my kids somewhere either... we just do it. yesterday I took 8 kids swimming, the library and the store. Wasn't any different than 6. :)
britt
Ok, your clam, centered nature needs to be bottled and sold. :-)
ReplyDeleteAnd, because I don't have a calm, centered nature, if you want me to punch anyone, just say the word. (or at least I can rattle off a long slew of curse words at them because I'm like that).
I say this every time, but your kids are gorgeous!
And thank you for encouraging me not to be timid about taking my children out and exploring the world with them. Just because there are four of them and (normally) only one of me, doesn't mean that we can't do things together. Some days I need that encouragement. With two that speak very little english, and really don't understand what it fully means to follow rules or be a part of a family, sometimes I just decide it's easier to stay home. Thank you, thank you.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your heart Love. : ) its such a blessing. Truly.
ReplyDeleteI love coming and visiting you, you change my perspective on everything. Why don't you write a book of your wonderful sayings. I would buy it so I could pick it up for inspiration throughout the day!
ReplyDeleteXOXO
Megan
i seriously adore each and every post,seriously:) i am pregnant with my 5th and get the strangest comments and questions when going about an ordinary day and it can be so frustrating.I have found since coming here and reading your words and encouragments and loveliness,i now walk a little different and respond just a little different because i am not ashamd i am proud of these amazing littles,thankyou for your beautiful encouragment today and everyday,
ReplyDeletesiobhan
Love you , Love.
ReplyDeleteI remember when I watched my 3 nephews and I would take them and my 2 girls out in public. The things people would say would amaze me. My least favorite being "Don't you know what got you all those kids, you would figure after a couple or so you would." Most times I would politely tell them that they weren't all my children, then their face would blush and they would stammer out an apology.
ReplyDeleteWhen I am out, I always try to smile, to be encouraging and to ask people how they are doing and expect a real answer. It has really helped to bless others and to encourage me to be a person who shares love with other, unconditionally.
Thank you for sharing your heart and your stories and encouraging me through your actions.
((hugs))
too cute...and yes, i get the comments EVERY where we go..I think we look quite normal :) Everyone else should just catch up!! :) kj
ReplyDeleteI keep trying to say something similar, but you say it so much better than I do- words make a difference.
ReplyDeleteAnd yours ALWAYS make a difference for the better for me.
Love you. Love what you share with us. Every day I come here...some days frustrated with life, somedays okay. But EVERY DAY I leave here feeling more peaceful and hopeful. You give me a different way at looking at the world around me and I thank YOU for that!
ReplyDeletePlease give "your blessings" hugs from me! ;)
What a precious post--thanks for reminding us that words do matter. I do find you to be brave, though--you are filled with courage to live your life as He guides you, and that's not always easy.
ReplyDeleteI love when you write about having a big family. I want a big family and when I read your words I feel at home. **Most** other people think I'm crazy. But I read your words and I feel joy and beauty about filling my home and my heart. Thank you!
ReplyDeletejenny@mamanash.com
Oh this was so beautifully said. I love it.
ReplyDeleteLove it! I get this every time I leave the house, even when I only have half of them with me. lol :)
ReplyDeleteIt's fun to turn heads with a big family!
Thank YOU! Thank you for your beautiful, heartfelt inspiring words here. I truly enjoy reading. I know God is calling us to adopt and when I see photos of your kids it warms my heart.
ReplyDeleteHopefully one day I will find myself blessed with many as well!
That picture is epic!
ReplyDeleteAnd thank YOU. : )
Your words are so comforting and encouraging. Such a reminder to choose my own carefully. Thank you. My favorite today: "they are my children. we go out. the end." Yes, yes, yes and yes.
ReplyDeleteI love your heart, love this post. Beautiful.
ReplyDeletePs. I once told someone that each of your posts is like a work of art, and it's true.
It's funny, your five, because it seems like SUCH a small number ... for you. I can't wait to watch it grow. :)
ReplyDeleteSteph
you are a sweetheart and you are wonderful and i'm glad i get to know you and read your words.
ReplyDeletethere has been a very noticeable shift in public perception of my family since we added number three. i never used to get comments, ever, and i get them all the time now. it doesn't offend me, but i do go out of my way to respond that it's not so difficult, that it's truly no big deal, and to smile as sincerely as i can at them, so that maybe the next time they see a mom with more than two kids out shopping they won't feel the need to react so strongly!
i have three boys under 4 and every-time-we-go-out people say those same things. the most common and daily favorite "you sure do have your hands full"
ReplyDeletei'm like really? 3 wow, i wonder what you'll say when i come back with 10 more in a few years.
i guess people just say what they want and these days 1 to 2 kids is overwhelming so they just think we're completely nuts for wanting more.
oh, yuck. I'm sorry you had to fend off such ugly comments. But THANK YOU for this lovely reminder about your little blessings and all the little blessings I encounter everyday.
ReplyDeleteand, where is this cool place with these tiny stools?
Yes, yes! Exactly how I feel and I "only" have 3. Constant comments and questions--it doesn't help that I look 17. Adopting 2 more will only intensify it all I know but I won't think twice about going out with 5 kids! I honestly can't wait.
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
The other day I was walking into the library with my four little ones and an elderly woman who was walking out looked right into my oldest girls eyes and said "wow, your momma is sure a lucky lady to have all of you isn't she?"
ReplyDeleteIt was such a nice change :)
It made my day! You are so right, words matter.
Yes! Words matter much so much (and hold so much power). Thank you for the excellent reminder to wield them for good - every day.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Your photos are always SO fun.
stephanie@metropolitanmama.net
I adore this post. It is so lovely. It makes me smile for you (well and also a little sad that we can't all just appreciate each others families without comments that can end up being rude). And the end? Made me smile for me. A moment of appreciation and love? Can just make our day can't it? :)
ReplyDeleteI agree that FOR YOU five seems like a small number. I even told Julie as we were sorting out apple dumplings for your family that I felt like I was leaving someone out while counting, like seven wouldn't be enough. Funny, isn't it? You just seem the right person for all those babies.
ReplyDeleteAdore this picture.
ReplyDeleteI can't get over how many people have issues with what people say to them about their families. I know I am not normal at all, because I never cared one iota when people said things about Kaish. Never. I just thought it was another chance for them to look and adore my MARVELOUS little blessing. I have a friend who is a missionary and she complains all the time that the people of the country where they are serving are enamoured with the children. Are you kidding me? Well, that is what I want to say to her. Of course I don't. If you don't like the way of the people in the country in which you are serving then MOVE back to the US : ) and stop complaining. This is a fantastic and WONDROUS job we have been called to do. Fantastic and wondrous.
I am not saying this meanly towards you, or really anyone, sometimes I just get stressed when everyone talks about how people look at them. Really, who cares. The most important thing is that when people look at you they see Jesus, right? And clearly Love, when people look at you that is what they see!
This is so encouraging. I'm probably one of those moms that speaks without thinking, but more because I'm curious of their story. I'm thankful to you for sharing yours. It has made me stop and think before speaking. I love the picture. and curious as to where you guys went. Those stools and counter are the perfect size!
ReplyDeleteThank you for reminding that practicing acts of kindness, like taking the time to understand the power of words and just reaching out and making a connection with someone can make all the difference.
ReplyDeleteI don't know how u do it ... I am in awe. I'm terrified to take the plunge and have one.
ReplyDeleteI don't know how u do it... I am in awe. I am terrified to take the plunge and have one!! :(
ReplyDelete