sometimes i remember that i'm thirty.

this is one of those weeks that it takes everything i have to be very intentional about
my day.  making sure i balance the work with the play.  extra errands.  a broken dishwasher.
man, did i underestimate the time a dishwasher saves me.  
a husband working a little more than usual.  time out with friends.
the ability to still serve when a need comes up.  time to sit on the floor & string laces through
holes punched on the outline of an animal.

honestly, it is weeks like this that  i want to bury my face in my pillow and
sleep all day.
i want everything done, but i can't believe that it is me that is supposed to do it.
i'm a procrastinator by nature.  i think i'm probably sloppy by nature.  
and a lot of times, i'd love someone else to do the hard work for me.

but, i'm a grown up.  
[seriously, i still wonder sometimes, when did we grow up?!]
and although i still love a good cheer of encouragement from my type A husband, 
[who i'm so glad God gave me]
i'm doing it. i'm being a grown up.

i mean...
sometimes i let my kids eat ice cream for dinner,
jump on beds during the day,
they carry around plastic bottles of lemon juice just because [like below] 
and
at the end of the night i wad up a whole fruit roll-up and stick it in my mouth,
but
i'm proud & excited about a lot this week.  
i kinda like this grown up deal.

Comments

  1. Sometimes when I'm at work, I think, "Wow. Am I really old enough to do this?" And then when I have to make parent phone calls or have conferences, I panic inside because WAIT, I'm just a KID how can I talk to them about their KIDS? And then all of a sudden, my brain kicks in and reminds me that, actually, I am an adult, too. I kind of like not always remembering that. I think it's what keeps us young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so get this....especially the "when did we grow up?" part. I look at other women (what am I talking about? I am a girl, they are women) and think wow they have their life together with their x-number of kids and everything that goes along with that. I feel like a kid compared to them. Then I realize that I am close to the same age as that person (29) and remember that I've been married for 8 years! I have a 2 year old son. I have a house, two cars, etc etc. I am a grown up. I could have more kids but my life has taken a different path and it has been so good. I think I can still be a girl and be a grown up at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. melissa & doug toy, huh? love them.

    i was just thinking---did i just feed my kids popcorn & shortbread cookies for breakfast? [i only take comfort in that they were organic]

    http://curiousgeorgi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, I had this same thought earlier this week. I looked in the mirror and couldn't believe that I have been married for 10 years and have 2 kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm 36, and i'm still trying to convince myself that i'm an adult.
    lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally get it! And I buried my face in my pillow this morning until the kids pried me out of bed. Sigh.

    It's pure madness sometimes.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you about the procrastinator thing! I'm the worst at it.

    As far as growing up - yeah, when did that happen? Really, children have it made! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about the dishwasher - we used to have one but we don't at the moment and they pile up so quickly.

    Both my boyfriend and I are procrastinators and need to remember we're grown-ups sometimes!

    Have a lovely day,
    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! Sounds almost identical to my post! BTW, yesterday was my 32nd bday & I was called M'am by a teenage boy! Yep, that's me Momma M'am :) I posted a similar note on my blog a few days ago, I am also giving away a set of custom hairbows for a random commenter. If you are interested, you could win some Made to Match Matilda Jane bows :) Here's the link! Thanks for your daily dose of inspiration Love! Tabitha http://kaydensgracedesigns.blogspot.com/2010/08/thankfulness-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just ordered 3 headbands from Lou and Lee! Love them! Bianca looks so cute! <3 Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh!!! I totally feel the same way. I can't believe sometimes that I'm 36, been married for 17 years and I have a 14 yr. old and a 13 yr. old!! My daughter starts high school this year!!! Can't believe it - I think I was just there myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally get this! So many days of looking around and thinking, when's the real mom coming back?! And not always because I'm totally overwhelmed just because I can't believe I'm old enough to have almost 4 kids, drive a minivan and pay a mortgage!

    Also, that headband is adorable! Can you tell me where you got it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. i can so relate! I sometimes wonder how anyone expects me to do it all! :) I love to know that someone else feels the same way!

    Happy Thursday!
    paige

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh yes my pretty friend, i totally know what you mean. and my kids love to carry around the lemon juice thing too. no joke.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love your posts. I can totally and completely relate. This life thing is quite the ride!

    And the lemon juice? Too funny, because my girl has a thing for both our lemon and lime juice bottles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I felt the SAME way this week! I asked my husband the other day, 'WHEN did we become grown-ups?" It seems like it kind of snuck up on me. Especially since my oldest started 1st grade Wednesday and I had to put on a happy "SCHOOL'S GONNA BE GREAT!" face even though I was dying inside that she'd be gone all day. :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with you! SOmetimes I love it! Sometimes it's not so great!....but it's where I'm at and where HE called me to be right now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I can relate. I am still caught off-guard by this life of mine. Surely I'm still pretending to be a grownup? But no, this is real and so I must be a grownup and pretend to be a kid instead.

    ReplyDelete
  19. its very odd...sometimes i almost have trouble calling myself a woman and not a lady or girl...it still feels like I have so much growing to do.

    Hope you guys are having a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi, everyone! i always love seeing you here!

    kiki--the head band is from lou & lee on etsy. our new favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mentioned you in my blog today. http://curiousgeorgi.blogspot.com/2010/08/perfect-mom-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohhh It's been a little while since I've had time to read your blog! I just realized how much I missed reading it! :) YOur kiddos are beautiful and growing SO fast!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts