today we made soup.

ellie & i have our comfy pants & aprons on. 
[and maybe shoes on the wrong feet.]
we're doing our normal dinner prep.
it comes between taking a break to blow pinwheels,
having a tea party [with apple juice & string cheese] &
a dance party with bouncing, twirling & bopping.

i don't get many things done in a day.
yesterday, we did grocery shopping.  
i kid you not that it took close to 5 hours from 
leaving the house to all groceries put away.
but, i [try my very hardest] to
involve the kids.  even the babies.

sometimes that means that an onion rolls across the whole produce section 
as it misses being THROWN into the produce bag.  
and it means that we all laugh and i tell clay,  "try again.  gentle this time."
even despite the dirty looks from the man that almost tripped over the onion.
[the lady that smiled at the kids and winked at me trumped him anyway.]

sometimes it means waiting patiently as ellie explores something in the store.
don't get me wrong, we expect our children to obey,
but often my rushing isn't all that necessary & i could take the time to 
explain to her about something that's caught her eye.

sometimes that means that there is quite a bit of water on the counter, dripping to the floor,
as ellie carefully washes the dishes in the sink.
it means that although cutting up the veggies would go much quicker on my own,
she pulls a chair up and gets to join.  


it means that as much as i want to buckle them in their highchairs sometimes 
and hurriedly get some things done,
the babies often roam and explore the kitchen beneath me.  
bianca will pull every towel & bib that we own out of the drawer.
clayton will proceed to place them on his head and look at us all to laugh.

it always means that i have a lot of damage control to do at nap time and late at night.

i hope it also means that i have children who know how valued they are right now.
that they know that learning, exploring and being is their "job" right now.
that they know that none of the stuff is more important than 
guiding & loving their little hearts.  

i could look at today and say that we just made soup,
but i think we did much more.

Comments

  1. Beautiful and oh, so very true.

    Bri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this post!! You are so right about the shopping and a lot of days getting only one thing done! {mine today is cleaning the kitchen and doing many loads of dishes!} I'm getting ready to head out the door to the wholesale club {it's 3:15} and fully expect to get caught in rush-hour traffic hours away.:) BUT, I'm so looking forward to it, knowing that the kids will not be in the cart the whole time, wondering around, and enjoying their day "out"! ;) Enjoy your soup tonight! It looks divine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful reminder to remember what is important. This morning I made banana bread and my little 2 year old one was asking me to sit on the counter & help stir. I was trying to put him off & distract him because I just wanted to hurry up & get it made & into the oven. He changed his tactic and said "please, Mommy. I can help you cook banana bread." Okey dokey ...I can't resist his sweetness. It took much longer as I let him pour in every little measured ingredient but it was so worth it. He was so proud to tell Daddy at lunch time that WE made bread.

    Thanks again for the important reminder. I try to always include my babes too...but a reminder to purposefully do this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this so much. I am working really hard on getting my husband to realize this.
    We can always clean after Miles is in bed, but while he's awake, let him explore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what being a mom is supposed to look like but some moms are too busy doing other things to see it. Thanks for this! So beautiful, so true and so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When they get mobile, I am going to re-read this. I want to look at things this way, I want them to live this way, and I also know I tend to want to just get things done - it will be hard.
    Maybe I'll call you every day too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully, wonderfully written...thanks again for a great post!!! I'm trying to be a more intentional mother!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully, wonderfully written...thanks again for a great post!!! I'm trying to be a more intentional mother!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked this post! My small group just talked about Sloooowing Down and Celebrating last week. It's so easy to try to do everything on your own but then how will others learn? I bet the onion man would love onion basketball if he ever slowed down to try. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i saw on a show once, when a mother was passing down a recipe to her daughter, that part of the recipe was to have someone very special stir the mixture...that is what made it taste so good. this post reminded me of that...I bet it was the best soup because it was made with love and patience!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post has me so inspired.
    Really and truly. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yours has become my go to, feel good, intentional and inspirational blog to read every day. I love your perspective on every sweet, simple day. And ... the pictures are to die for. Thank you for taking the time to remind us to live our lives with gratitude, grace and love, love, love!

    PS It's so nice to read a blog by someone you can see is blogging her life and not living her life to blog! I'm over that...

    Destiny

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I pray that I can live each day like this with my kids...I often struggle in this area, my natural character is to be organized and "on top" of it all. I was going to email you, sending our application off on Monday to begin the adoption process! So exciting..thank you for your kind words and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm did you make minestrone? This is such a soup week!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  15. yummm i've been craving soup but it is ohsostinkinghot here right now!

    thanks for being honest about motherhood...and not being afraid to love it and encourage us to love it too!

    ...today I had the kids in the office with me while I worked on new jewelry designs and they had all the wooden beads on the floor making their own creations...and although those beads are still there, and there will be some serious cleaning up to do tomorrow, I can't help but smile each time I've walked back in there...those numerous strings of colorful beads show hours that we sat side by side sharing our day TOGETHER.

    ReplyDelete
  16. you are always so inspiring!!!

    this is absolutely beautiful and a reminder that i really needed. it's so easy for moms of many to get get caught up in the i have so much to do today story . . . but including the littles in everything is so much more important!!

    thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that while the soup nourished their bodies to help them grown, this day did wonders to nourish their soul and help them grow even more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. you are a fabulous momma!! what kind of soup did you make?? looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Love.
    I don't know when God will say that it's time for me to be a mommy. But in the meantime? He's filling me with lots of love and wisdom...through YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  20. love it. live it. could we be twins? {grin}

    britt

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are one smart cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're blog looks FABULOUS.

    And I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Precious. Thank you for that needed reminder. I think the simple fact that you photograph it all proves you are capturing every moment in your heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts