victories
I think everyone knows I'm a glass 1/2 full girl, but I would never say the journey of adoption comes with no difficulty or adjustments. I'm pretty certain that anything that is easy isn't really worth doing. [It actually scares me when I get all comfy and content right where I am.] I do try to focus on the moments here instead of the technical terms of bonding and attaching. Obviously, though, it all goes together and we've had some more victories lately that I wanted to share!
Last week, Clay laid his head down on my shoulder as I was holding him at his crib and saying our prayers. That kind of relaxation and trust has been hard for him. He tended to want to push us away and jump instantly into his crib. He's trusting us.
We took all the kids into a candy factory for last week's family fun night. Clay waited SO patiently. He tried the 2 samples that he was given. He pointed to which one he wanted for his little bag. Then? He waited. Just like the rest of the kids, he waited until we got back to the car to eat them! If we had done this even 2 weeks ago it would have resulted in SCREAMING from the time we entered the place until the time we left and gave him his bag. He's trusting us.
He dances! We have dance parties here at least once a day. We clear everything out of the way and turn the music up. At first, Clayton would look at us like we were crazy. Even if I was holding him and dancing, he would just suck his thumb and watch us. Now? He bops up and down and his face is filled with JOY. He's trusting us.
We love him so very much and, overall, Clay has had a relatively easy adjustment. I think that has to do with a lot of His grace and a lot of Clayton's easy-going personality. He is well bonded to us, but there will continue to be these little victories that we are so thankful for!
Last week, Clay laid his head down on my shoulder as I was holding him at his crib and saying our prayers. That kind of relaxation and trust has been hard for him. He tended to want to push us away and jump instantly into his crib. He's trusting us.
We took all the kids into a candy factory for last week's family fun night. Clay waited SO patiently. He tried the 2 samples that he was given. He pointed to which one he wanted for his little bag. Then? He waited. Just like the rest of the kids, he waited until we got back to the car to eat them! If we had done this even 2 weeks ago it would have resulted in SCREAMING from the time we entered the place until the time we left and gave him his bag. He's trusting us.
He dances! We have dance parties here at least once a day. We clear everything out of the way and turn the music up. At first, Clayton would look at us like we were crazy. Even if I was holding him and dancing, he would just suck his thumb and watch us. Now? He bops up and down and his face is filled with JOY. He's trusting us.
We love him so very much and, overall, Clay has had a relatively easy adjustment. I think that has to do with a lot of His grace and a lot of Clayton's easy-going personality. He is well bonded to us, but there will continue to be these little victories that we are so thankful for!
[And while we're keeping it real, how about a new favorite, but no make-up and my hair-hasn't-been-washed-in-too-long-because-the-shower-is-broken-and-i-have-18-kids picture of me and my boy?]


I am so filled with joy right now.
ReplyDeleteThis makes erases all my doubts about adoption---this new sea we sail on.
Thank you for being such a testimony of grace.
You're so beautiful, don't be silly. And I am so, so glad that these little steps are coming along in just the right time, in just the right way. God is so amazing.
ReplyDeletePerfect. Pure joy. :)
ReplyDeleteDon't you love the little victories that show they are trusting us? How special those little things are when you have been on the journey our precious children have been on. To God be the glory!
ReplyDeleteSuch joyful tears I have right now coming from my eyes!
ReplyDeleteIt is so true, these little victories! HE is wonderful and I am so glad He blessed you with Clay.
Thank you so much for sharing. :)
I think the picture is absolutely breathtaking. Both of you.
ReplyDeleteReading this made me happy. Real honest happy. :) Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteAnd you both look beautiful.
Bri
Reading this made me happy. Real honest happy. :) Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteAnd you both look beautiful.
Bri
Love this. You are such a good Mama. And hello gorgeous! Wish I looked that good after not washing my hair with 5 kids!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI say YAY! VICTORY! Give God the Glory and He will give you the VICTORY! I really like this post!!
ReplyDeleteYay for your BIG victories! :) And you look stunningly beautiful! Way too good for what you described... ;)
ReplyDeleteOh, good stuff. Enjoy those snuggles.
ReplyDeleteIt is good to know that those moments WILL come...thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI love that photo, and your perspective!
ReplyDeleteI am so happy for you! Little victories add up to a lifetime of wonderfulness!
ReplyDeleteit's the love in love that makes this picture so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI thought it was 19? :)
ReplyDeleteLove that picture... and I love Clay and God's tender mercies he gives us, and you.
This is beautiful and so encouraging and Love, yes these are answers to prayers but it also the FRUITS of your hard work, a reflection of how good a Mother you are. You are HIS Mom, he was meant for you and you were meant for him and it's showing.
ReplyDeleteSteph
Oh, he's so precious. Thank you for sharing these victories with us. :)
ReplyDeletei love reading this and hearing this...how he is adjusting and trusting you more and more...beautiful!
ReplyDeleteSweet victories :) Everyday is a new milestone and a new opportunity for him to trust him more. You're an awesome mama to your kids!
ReplyDeleteYou are so beautiful and even more beautiful is your glow coming from the inside out~ You inspire me...I need a Clay or 2...
ReplyDeleteYou know...
ReplyDeletethis is not surprising because for ONE - YOU ARE AMAZING.
and two:
HE IS AMAZING.
So the two of you together? Beyond amazing.
I love this post and also? I have a shower you can borrow. (like before Friday *cough*)
Joy and love is the best makeup there is. You are stunning.
ReplyDeletei'm so proud of him and you. And seriously, I can't even wait to the car to eat my candy!
(And I'm with Beth. Borrow her shower before Friday!)
Oh my...I am in Love! This is so awesome!! I so enjoy reading your blog:)
ReplyDeleteThis is so beautiful! Of course he's trusting you--he has the perfect environment of love!
ReplyDelete