round 2
We did a lot of research regarding if we wanting to use an agency or not. When we knew we were being called to the country we were called to, there were only a couple agencies that had programs there. We found a lot of information about agencies for Ethiopia, but it just wasn't where we felt led.
When not using an agency, you don't qualify for certain grants. You also have to do the research and work yourself. You are responsible for everything from arranging a time table with the orphanage, to securing a lawyer, travel, transportation, lodging and everything in between.
We started contacting orphanages and families that were done with the whole process. We decided not to go with an agency and if you are motivated (and feel led to!) it really is very do-able. We found SUCH valuable information from this blog (go to their 1st few posts) and from families willing to share. We're blessed to be in several of those conversations with families now and are happy to share what we've learned. Speaking of, I'll e-mail you the exact orphanage and lawyer we chose, Sarah.
Allyson asked if I ever thought of breastfeeding Clayton.
It was one of my biggest hopes when we knew that we were going to adopt. We had no idea what age our child would be, but if God had a baby for us, I hoped to nurse them. I did try while in Africa on the 2nd trip. He thought I was crazy. ; ) He has been drinking from a cup for so long, that there really was no concept for him. He won't even drink from a sippy cup. At the orphanage, they give them a regular cup from the time they can sit up, so the children learn very quickly how to drink like that.
I did have the absolute blessing of nursing a little 5 week old while in Africa. That is something I will never forget. The blessing of being able to nourish and comfort that sweet, little baby boy who had been orphaned.
Beth remembers us mentioning that we were adopting 2 children and wondered if that was still in the plans.
We've always felt called to 2 children. We'd like Clayton to have a sibling from his home country, but just as much as that? We just don't feel our family is complete yet. We did hope that our other child would be ready, but we know that our timing isn't His. We are praying about our next child and will happily go as soon as it is time. To be completely honest, there is a child at the orphanage that has a piece of my heart. We have asked and prayed & asked and prayed. Still waiting to have peace about this or to suddenly get a miraculous "YES!"
We've never mentioned that we were bringing 2 siblings home to the girls. But, Ellie, who was 2 at the time, was MAD when I got home. She insists that I fly back to Africa and bring home her other baby brother, too. She still talks about him often. I hope she has the gift of prophecy. =)
Okay, just a few more questions for the next answering post. I've loved hearing from you and answering these. Wanna play, too?! My friend Beth got me all fired up the other day about how VERY much I love simple traditions. So tell me....
What's your favorite holiday tradition?
One of ours is taking the girl's shopping for a gift for someone from the Angel Tree! Anika's angel tag said a Fur Real animal and Chloe's a Groovy Girl.
So much fun.

Aww that is so precious! You actually answered a question I had about nursing other orphans. I wondered if they would let you. Mostly just me thinking outloud, I figure I have the milk someone should drink it. :) I'm sorry nursing Clayton didn't work out, but I'm sure you have found and will continue to find wonderful ways to bond together. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, Ellie! I can so see her getting angry and telling you to fly back to Africa.
ReplyDeleteI started tearing up after I read the drinking from cups, not because it's bad but because most of us mothers here buy all different kind of "sippy" cups (different name brands) in search of finding the right one. I feel selfish and a bit silly after reading about the kids you met.
ReplyDeleteThanks for opening my eyes a little.
a five week old orphan. (i'm pretty sure i cry upon arrival every time i click on your blog.) i'm so glad you were there to nurse that tiny child.
ReplyDeletei love these series of posts where you answer adoption related questions. you're an incredible resource.
favorite tradition? well, this is cheating a bit because it's actually my birthday tradition that i force my entire family to do every year...haha...we make faux gingerbread houses with graham crackers, icing, and jillions of tiny candies. :) can't wait to get building this year!