all together

My parents, my sister & her family, and
my brother & his wife all live just a couple of hours away.

We are all close and we cherish the time we do get to spend together.
They have all been a huge support system as we've traveled this journey
to bring Clayton home.

I never realized just how blessed we were until while in Africa,
I heard stories of fighting, judgement and even estrangement
within families because of the calling to adopt there.

My family has never missed a beat.
Clayton is loved in this family like something I've never seen before.
Well, actually, I have.
I've seen it with each of the other grandchildren,
nieces or nephews
that our family has been blessed with.

They all are loved.
fully.
deeply.

When the extended family got together this Fall to
do our annual name exchange for Christmas,
we still had no word on when we would be traveling
back to Africa to bring Clayton home.

I remember someone saying to put Clayton's name in the draw.
Then, my dad said, "WELL, let's just wait. If he's here,
we'll ALL buy him a gift."

Because none of us would care that we got one gift
and Clay got seven.
But, even more than that, Dad was trying to
protect my heart.
{Because that's what Dads try to do, right?}

What if all these gifts were sitting here and we still hadn't gotten the call?

But, we did.

He is here.
Clayton is home for Christmas.
Oh my goodness is he loved!
[by ALL of us.]
fully.
deeply.


decorating the tree.


and Clay makes nine.

i finally have the twins i have always longed for.


could hats be cuter? clay & my brother.


clayton & my best friend. my sister.


my dad, mom and their nine little loves.


we are blessed.

Comments

  1. Oh look at that darling smile he's got!

    You're blessed and deserve all the blessings!

    :--)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful. I pray you and your family have a very Merry Christmas.

    Bri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loooove this, and love Clay's smile! I love how blessed you are and I love how much you know it and show it and live it and love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. how wonderful and full of love. i am so very happy clayton is home for christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sweet. Merry Christmas to your beautiful family.
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness Love, I have the funniest story regarding the family termoil I told you in Africa. I have to send it in an e-mail - it will prove that God does have a sense of humor!!

    Love you and love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful post! (do I say that every time I comment?? how can I not!)

    You are so blessed to have such a wonderfully supportive and loving family, and it shows in the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i loved reading this! My parents and side are extremely excited and well accept our little ugandan when we bring her home just as if she came from the womb...but we havent told my husbands side yet and are going to probably on christmas eve and its my fear that they wont be accepting but I am praying God would prepare their hearts and that they would accept it and be excited and happy for us! your little son is so cute! how old is he and how old was he when you adopted him?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful blessing this Christmas!

    And his smile is contagious! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found you off of another blog... We are expecting our 4th daughter (in 5 years) and are anxiously awaiting the time we could start the process of bringing home a son. I can't wait to have some time to read through your past posts. You aren't anywhere near Kansas are you? We are looking for some face to face time with people :) Feeling a little on our own out here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you so much everyone! i'm having a terrible time trying to get around to blogs, but it sure is fun to see you all here. i'm so grateful for you to be a part of our journey!

    April--i am going to pray that their hearts are prepared and that they fully embrace this news!! thanks for letting me know. we're not exactly sure of his birthday, but they've guessed he is 14 months. he's been home for 6 weeks now.

    Tara--oh, wonderful! sounds like you're on a journey just like ours. we're in indiana. i remember that feeling & am happy to e-mail!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very blessed.

    I have tears in my eyes reading that he is home. What a journey, and what peace and comfort you must feel.

    Have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So very blessed.

    I have tears in my eyes reading that he is home. What a journey, and what peace and comfort you must feel.

    Have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this. It doesn't surprise me that your family is so accepting because, after all, they raised you to have such an open, beautiful heart. Clay is truly blessed.

    (p.s. It has to be said that your brother is pretty hot and you should blog photos of him more often.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. love you guys! i am so blessed to have such amazing extended family and the example of LOVE that shines from all of you is such a blessing to me! great pics....we HAVE to make it up that way and see all of you while we are on this side of the country! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. He is just so cute! You can tell that he knows he is loved and feels secure in your family already. What a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whatever, Mildred! You know you thought the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL @ Erin and Steph..

    Erin is so right though! Hes hot!

    And Love, what a beautiful family you have!!! I love the picture of all the kids together, and Clays huge grin with your sister!

    Merry Christmas to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmhmm, see? I vote that you do a weekly photo of your brother for 2010. EVEN BETTER, we get him together with Beth's brothers. Mildred won't be able to handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a family like that too. Isn't it phenomenal?

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow! you truly are blessed and you deserve all this happiness. i am teary eyed from looking at the pictures...they are so heartfelt. have a wonderful holiday with your wonderful family!!! spread lots of love and cheer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts