this thing
there was this thing when i came home from Africa after the first trip that i really can't explain.
it had to do with loving children on 2 different continents, wondering if our boy was hugged
that day, hearing he was sick & that one of his little buddies had died. it had to do with
trying to reconcile our too nice, too comfy, too much life to the life i saw there.
it had to do with the fact that as much as i could hurt when i read about a child that had
been abandoned or orphaned or was starving or couldn't get medical treatment...it wasn't the
same hurt as it was now that it was my child. [and for the record, i don't think my selfishness
at being more hurt because it is my child is necessarily right. i want my heart to be
broken to action for all of them. all the time.]
and now that Clayton is home, there is this other thing. i'm beyond thrilled that our family
is together now. i'm thankful that the girls have seen such a great blessing come from
something we have prayed about for so long. i am in love with having 5 children. our days
truly are full of joy and it just feels right. [sure they're full of bodily fluids and some
crying & discipline mixed in. but, i'm an optimist at heart.]
but, there is still this thing inside of me.
the thing where we'll never know about Clay's birth family. [oh, how i would hug his mom.]
the thing where people suddenly think it is okay to ask the most inappropriate questions.
where i want to do more for the hurt, the poverty, the being lost. where i hurt for our son to
not have a baby picture when he needs one in school. where i want people to understand
that we have been blessed just as much as him. where i want people to understand that
despite their fears and the "obstacles," they can do this too. they can make a difference
for one. the thing where i logically knew all this would be part of adoption,
but it is not the same as feeling it.
whatever this thing is, i wouldn't trade it for anything. this boy? what a gift from God.

you're a good mama. And that's a very handsome boy you've got there. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteHe is a beautiful boy, and you have a beautiful heart. So many people will never have half the passion you do for helping others. God calls for us to love the widows and the orphans, and you have answered the call! I know this is only the beginning, that you will continue to be an advocate for those who are lost and still need families. There's no doubt that you're going to continue to impact lives with this. You've been such a blessing and that's why God will continue to bless you!
ReplyDeleteYour story has really opened my heart to realize that I want to do more. Lots of plans in the works that will come to fruition as time passes. In the meantime, I don't need to tell you to have a happy Thanksgiving because I know it will be a great one for your family!
ReplyDeleteMy heart is so happy that you can tell what you are truly feeling....and all of it so natural. All of the things that I struggle with and I don't even know who our daughter is yet. You are an inspiration to me every day. Keep up those optimistic thoughts and let God lead you as you always have.
ReplyDelete~Kendra~
What a beautiful post. I hope I too can give back more someday. Heck, even today. Even something so little can mean so much to someone. What you did was a big thing.... one day I want to do that too.
ReplyDeleteBut today.. Today I will just smile and hope to change something little.
I can feel it, through the post. His smile is just incredible!
ReplyDeleteI had a dream last night that we adopted a little boy... it's scary to think about making it real. But I feel that pull, and wonder if we can be as strong and persevere like you and your family has...
Happy Thanksgiving!! I hope you guys have a wonderful day.
I love that little boy. And his mama? Love her too.
ReplyDeleteThis post is so so beautiful. And so is that smile.
ReplyDeleteI love this so much. I love your outlook on everything, that you're an optimist. I hate that you hurt.
ReplyDeleteHe is such a gift, as are you, Love.
ReplyDeleteThe photos you have of him are all he'll ever need. You are coming along so well already and it's just been a few weeks!
Imagine how much bigger your heart will be in the moments to come. And how much you will teach (are teaching) others to open up their hearts, and make room in their own.
Steph
So wonderfully written ... Lovelyn, your heart speaks to mine. BLESS YOU! xo
ReplyDeletesimply put, you are an amazing momma.
ReplyDeleteHe may not have any birth photos, but thanks to your love for him, he'll never be without photographs or amazing memories again!
love to all of you...
such a beautiful post about a beautiful boy.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing your adoption journey with us!
What a precious gift! My mother-in-law has 6 kids she's adopted through fostering and I just think adoption is so amazing. What a beautiful picture of how we are adopted into God's family too. Looking forward to meeting you at Cupcake '10 and getting to know you more through your blog!
ReplyDeleteLove, I know this all too well. Don't be burdened by the times you have missed and can't get back for him. That is his story and will be his testimony to the greatness of our God.
ReplyDeleteOh my heart just feels so much when I visit you!
ReplyDeleteNell
What beautiful post. I look forward to reading more of your journey.
ReplyDeleteI love that you address this. Your family is so blessed. And there will be questions, but I pray that they will be asked kindly and not inappropriately because I know how awkward that can be, how frustrating.
ReplyDeleteHe may not have a baby photo, but he has a mom who is clearly willing to go to great lengths for him. Maybe someday there will be a piece of information to help fill in some blanks, but even without it, he'll know God chose your family for him long before he was born.
Not having any info on our daughter's birth family was the hardest thing for me too. Our daughter is from Russia and I sobbed when I saw the relinquishment letters that were hand written by her parents. Our daughter was abandoned at the hospital because she has Down syndrome, so for me ... it was a little different because I just wanted her birth parents to know how well she was doing and how well she could do in life. The social worker at the baby home still had contact with the mom, however she refused to give us as much as a picture of her to keep for our daughter for when she is older. Sigh. I have thought about hiring an investigator to try to find her birth family or even her extended family to see if any of them want to know how she is doing, but I haven't gone there yet. Mostly I just want to prove to them that kids with DS can do well too.
ReplyDeleteAnyway ...
Your son is a doll!