weeds
yesterday, chloe and i were pulling weeds in the front yard when we decided it was time to join the others for fun. as i walked to the backyard, where matt was with the other girls, i could feel myself tense. i felt the physical need to weed the flower beds around our waterfall. there is always more work to be done. so...
and...
i talked myself into sitting down with matt next to the waterfall. i closed my eyes. i opened them and didn't see any weeds.
i saw our 5 year old.....proudly pumping her legs on the swing all.by.herself.
i saw our 4 year old....collecting plastic butterflies, ladybugs and lobsters in a water-filled bucket.
i saw our 2 year old...digging for treasures through the pebbles & singing to herself.
i saw our 4 month old...sleeping blissfully in her little onesie that shows off her cute, chunky thigh rolls.
and in my heart, i could even see 2 babies, fresh with laughter, toddling through the green grass.
we haven't been physically shown the children that God has chosen for us in Africa, yet, but He has shown my heart. there isn't an hour that goes by that i don't think of them...pray for them. i am so thankful for where our family is right this very minute. but, i never want to be at a place of blind contentedness...where my heart is too content and selfish to be stirred to action.
and...
i never want to be at a place where my heart is too blinded by the weeds to see the beauty that He has right in front of me.


I already told you this today on FB but.... YOU ARE RAD. This post gave me chills. Thank You!
ReplyDeleteI'm jealous you have a waterfall =) When do I get to come visit??
Oh how I know this feeling. I could have written this a little over a week ago. Yes, my family is adopting. We received our referral last Monday of our baby waiting for us in Ethiopia.
ReplyDeleteThat waiting for the unknown feeling is tough. I will be praying for you guys. Congratulations on the new little one(s) headed your way,
Such a sweet post!!! A good reminder for all moms... Don't be blinded by the weeds!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by Little Lily and leaving your comment. I'll pray for you, as you wait for your child/children in Uganda.
GREAT POST! Thank you for this gentle reminder today, I needed it :) God Bless you and I would love to chat again via email~
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!
ReplyDeleteSteph
amazing.
ReplyDeleteexcited to hear more about your upcoming adventure!
Sweet! Precious! Beautiful! Awesome! Thank You!
ReplyDeleteoh sweetie, you have such clarity of perspective.
ReplyDeleteps i couldn't agree more that it would be so much easier just to leave this all and go. i am struggling with how to make changes in the middle of all this affluence, how to set this lukewarm heart ablaze.
Beautiful post! Every time I look at my weeds, I will think of this post. By the way, I heard a lot about your sweet girls yesterday while having lunch with my grandsons, Noah, Carter & Gray.
ReplyDelete