lucky
{even though i don't believe in "luck"}
the girls and i went to starbucks this morning. they've come to love it as much as i do.
although i think they would totally drink my toffee nut latte, (since they'll try to sneak it
if given the chance!) they get hot cocoa.
although i think they would totally drink my toffee nut latte, (since they'll try to sneak it
if given the chance!) they get hot cocoa.
just because we've chosen to have a "big" family....and just because we've chosen to have
them close in age, i don't want it to stop us from doing anything. yes, it would be
easier to stay in the house and follow a strict routine. but, i believe it much more
valuable to get out sometimes...to learn self control, patience, culture, communication,
tolerance and fun. i love our talks over cocoa and blueberry coffee cake.
them close in age, i don't want it to stop us from doing anything. yes, it would be
easier to stay in the house and follow a strict routine. but, i believe it much more
valuable to get out sometimes...to learn self control, patience, culture, communication,
tolerance and fun. i love our talks over cocoa and blueberry coffee cake.
often, if someone is just passing by us, i get the negative undertone comments:
"my, you have your hands full!"
"oh my goodness, you are brave!"
"are you ever going to get that boy?!"
but, more often i get the comments that i cherish. by no means do i go out looking for
praise from the world, but there is something powerful about another person blessing
you with their words, especially about the thing that is most precious to you.
praise from the world, but there is something powerful about another person blessing
you with their words, especially about the thing that is most precious to you.
and that is just what a sweet lady did at starbucks this morning. she came over as they
were leaving and told me what a beautiful family i have. then, as she looked down at
the carseat that was still mostly covered by a blanket, she said, "i just have to ask you...."
were leaving and told me what a beautiful family i have. then, as she looked down at
the carseat that was still mostly covered by a blanket, she said, "i just have to ask you...."
i was certain she was going to end it with, "did you finally get that boy?!"
yet she lovingly said, "...were you lucky enough to get another girl?!"
why, yes we were.



SO TRUE! I was just thinking this very thing today. I had someone bless me with their words recently, and it made such a difference in my step ALL DAY!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet, special lady. I want to remember to be more like her everyday.
What a blessing! Indeed our words can be so powerful and i pray that mine can be powerful in a positive way! Your family is beautiful and more importantly it is just what God planned which makes it perfect!!
ReplyDeleteI don't believe in luck either! And I know just what you mean... just darling.
ReplyDeleteSteph
Beautiful story! Congratulations.
ReplyDeleteI also LOVE when strangers compliment my family (5 year old daughter and 2 year old boy/girl twins)...it reminds me of how lucky I am to have them and how it is so important to cherish these early years because I am already missing the "baby days"!
ReplyDeleteit's always a great thing to hear someone who thinks large families are a blessing! i love hearing people tell me how blessed we are when they see our 4 little ones!!
ReplyDeletethe other people just don't know what they are missing out on!!
last week . . . we were playing outside and a car pulled up in front of our house and the lady was needing directions. and the first thing she said was . . . "please tell me you are running a day care or something. they can't all be yours!" i wanted to give her the wrong directions so bad!!! but of course i didn't and i told her they are mine and how great they are!
that is hilarious, emily!!! =)
ReplyDeleteOk, as I finished reading your post I totally got the chills and then tears! How beautiful! You are extremely blessed and I really appreciate your attitude about making the most of every moment! Even with your hands full of blessings! It's encouraging to me since I am sometimes scared to go out with two! love ya!
ReplyDeleteYou truly are blessed, and you are so right...we do need to enjoy our children! I get those comments too, but, there is a great reason why we were chosen to be mothers. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeletewhat a sweet post about how you view your lovely family ... i would love to know where you are in the adoption from Africa ...We also get the crazy comments especially now that we are adding two more angels to the bunch ... I always choose to feel bad for those who think my big family is some kind of trouble or nuisance ... I love Organized Chaos !! thanks for stopping by my blog ...
ReplyDeleteblessings to your family !!!
lucky. and blessed. you have such a rich, full life, and best of all--you have the clarity of perspective to recognize it. bless you, love.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Post! I think girls are the best. And if I ever have kids, girls are what I want. I'm sure y'all are all best friends. With endless slumber parties. And pity parties! ;)
ReplyDeleteWe have four kiddos as well, but three sons and a daughter. People ALWAYS assume that our daughter is the youngest that we keep "trying" for that girl. No, she's the second oldest, we just love kids so much we wanted more. :) Enjoy those lovies and good for you for getting out, I'm the same way!
ReplyDeleteKate
As were we... and I wouldn't want it any other way. Why do people always assume...
ReplyDeleteLove your family portrait- all black, white, and hot pink- just lovely!!
Hello!!! We adopted from Uganda as well. I found you through Organized Chaos~Jena Penner's blog. Your family is beautiful : ) We have five kids, three bio. daughters and two sons adopted from Africa. I love you blog and I can't wait to peek in your family now that I have found you. Blessings to you~
ReplyDeleteLOVE it. Love looking back at old posts, too. The best. Happy b-day, Bianca!!
ReplyDeleteSteph