one wish
i could write a list of valid reasons for not being around lately. i could tell you what an adjustment it is for our family to have me be full time day shift for my orientation period.
in reality though, i want to write so much that i feel i can't say. so, i don't write anything.
as i sit and as i long to write though, i remember this: primary, this space is for me to record our family's journey right now. and my journey right now is going something like this:
i don't understand mean people. that sounds like such a silly statement to me. but, it is just exactly what it is. i don't understand it. here's the thing though....i HAVE accepted the fact that it just IS. it IS part of this world. what fascinates me now is how people can be so drastically different.
i don't believe that many parents teach intolerance and hatred. i have never met a mom that would be proud of their child for being rude and disrespectful. so where does it come from? how do we prevent it in our own families? i do not have any indication that my children will be this way, but that's just it. i don't think any mother thinks, "my son is going to grow up and be angry and say hurtful things to people he barely knows."
we all have strengths and weaknesses. i believe one of my strengths is seeing the big picture. i am able to really empathize with all sides. i'm nowhere near perfect and i appreciate the strengths of others, but i'm so grateful for this ability.
my girls and i play a lot of dress-up/pretend/princess/fairy-wishing. (as in the impromptu hat/apron party below.) if i really did have that one wish, i think that's what it would be....
for everyone to have the ability to empathize with every person in their particular situation.
when we each realize that we don't know each other's whole story...
when we realize that we may not even know their circumstances for today....

amen. i love your perspective on, well, pretty much everything that matters.
ReplyDeletehope your transition period is going well. :)
love to hear from your heart, i so agree with it. miss you and can't wait til your orientation is over and we can all play! keep smiling and being you!
ReplyDeletePlease let me know when you figure it out. I do not understand mean people either and I am working with a few right now. It is like they "feed" off of being mean to others. It is not pleasant to be near them and when you try to be extra nice to them (ya know the whole "kill'em with kindness" thing) they look at you like there is something wroung with you. I really, truly try to always look at life through someone else's eyes because you never really know. Anyways, sorry to ramble but I hope your transition is going well!
ReplyDeleteI have been teaching school for 6 years now. You are so very right that mothers don't directly teach their children to be rude or mean or hateful. And yet the 8th graders I teach are that way already and will grow to be adults that are that way. In all my interactions with the parents of these children I have found that on overwhelming majority have behaviors and attitudes just like their children. They may not teach their child to be rude but children do what they learn and they learn by watching their parents. Why are their parents that way? I think it is a cruel cycle that is hard to break. People have so much anger and resentment and they don't have the tools to release it in a positive way, so they take it out on others. It makes me realize that how careful I am going to have to be when my babies are born. They watch and absorb everything you say and do. And I want my babies to absorb happiness and patience and love, not hate and anger and resentment. Anyway...I know it isn't an answer for why...just some of my thoughts. I love your blog! :) And thanks for commenting on mine.
ReplyDeleteso true...
ReplyDeleteI love the dress up play with the girls...
so cute!
The whole issue of why people are "mean" is huge. It's trying to disect society. Taking into consideration people's backgrounds, experiences, opportunities given to them as children, social "standing", wealth and so many other factors. I really believe that your foundations for your character are given to you by your parents and what experiences you go through whilst you're a child. These early years are when you're most impressionable. Some children aren't given the time, attention or love that they need in order to grow into balanaced and happy human beings, with the necessary social skills so that they can interact with the rest of society.
ReplyDeleteAs far as the human race goes, I'm not sure that we'll ever reach the point where we all treat others with respect and kindness. I'd like to believe that we will, but witnessing the way people behave, sometimes it seems an impossibility.
The most we can do is ensure that our children are given all that we have, all the we are. That when we come into contact with others, that we have patience and as much understanding as possible.
Having read your blog for quite some time, there's no doubt in my mind your family is an example to many.
Everyone's got a story.....
ReplyDeletewhat's that quote about treating everyone as though they have loved someone & lost someone?
...anyway....cute pic.
and thanks for saying just the right things to my friend, Ginger!
:)
Oh...you have dittoed my heart for my children...for all of us I guess.
ReplyDeleteWhere does the meanness come from?
Blessings for your new 'job' endeavor!
I just have to say...looooove the blog colors!! Annnd the pictures of you and your sweet girls!
You are a breath of fresh air...
XO
You rock Lovelyn!!! You truly do have a heart of Love. I am so glad I have had the opportunity to meet you through bloggin. I love your outlook on life, your silly ways with your girls, and your overall perception of life!!
ReplyDeleteHUGS!
Natalie