mama oops!
so, we were just 30 minutes into my first morning back at home with the girls. the past 3 weeks on day shift has been a challenge for me to adjust to. so, i was very excited to wake up and start the day the way that we're used to.
while brushing my teeth, i looked down to see the 4 year old putting on her 2nd outfit for the day. i'm not exaggerating. (now we're 3 1/2 hours into the day and she's on her 4th.) = ) the 3 year old was hanging onto one of my legs singing. and the 1 year old was pulling everything out of the cabinet below me. very typical.
yet, apparently what she found under the sink wasn't so typical. she never cried a bit, but when i went to change her diaper next, her hands were a bloody mess. = ( she cut her thumb and 2 fingers on a razor that was somehow "unlocked."
i'd like to think that she never made a peep (even when i had to change the band aid 4 times) because she doesn't want to add to the mommy guilt. as in...."she was safer when i was at work!"
please tell me that we all have little accidents like this and we all have this CRAZY mommy guilt! why can we tell our girlfriends that it's okay and they are great moms....then be so quick to start doubting ourselves?! here's my little trooper w/ her 3 band aids!
while brushing my teeth, i looked down to see the 4 year old putting on her 2nd outfit for the day. i'm not exaggerating. (now we're 3 1/2 hours into the day and she's on her 4th.) = ) the 3 year old was hanging onto one of my legs singing. and the 1 year old was pulling everything out of the cabinet below me. very typical.
yet, apparently what she found under the sink wasn't so typical. she never cried a bit, but when i went to change her diaper next, her hands were a bloody mess. = ( she cut her thumb and 2 fingers on a razor that was somehow "unlocked."
i'd like to think that she never made a peep (even when i had to change the band aid 4 times) because she doesn't want to add to the mommy guilt. as in...."she was safer when i was at work!"
please tell me that we all have little accidents like this and we all have this CRAZY mommy guilt! why can we tell our girlfriends that it's okay and they are great moms....then be so quick to start doubting ourselves?! here's my little trooper w/ her 3 band aids!

Oh Love....I can't even begin to tell you what an inspiration you are to me as a mom....you're amazing! And yes...we all have experianced those "oops" mom of the year(as I like to call them) moments. So SMILE...you're an outstanding Mom!!
ReplyDeleteLove - Wyatt fell off the couch today. I heard a big "thud" and then a wail. And the mommy guilt began. How did that happen? He can't even roll over yet! I am glad to know it happens to the best of us.
ReplyDeleteYour sweet little one looks none worse for wear. Love her tee.
So you're back to your "normal" now? We all have moments like that...I keep getting after Jon that we need to finish up the babyproofing since Emma can open drawers now. BTW, Emma wore that same shirt to bed the other night! It is amazing how big Ellie is getting. Where does the time go?!
ReplyDeletehey girls! erin--you're so right..it just happens to all of us! =)
ReplyDeleteand amber--no, not "normal"...but i'm on 3-11pm shift this week.
um hi...who was in the er this past week?? oh, yea, that would be us. talk about mommy guilt. it happens to all of us and slowly but surely i am beginning to realize that there is simply no way to prevent the oops and really when you look back on your childhood don't those "oops" make the best stories anyways?? =) you're a great mom!!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh I'm so sorry to hear that. Yes I definitely have the mom guilt too. Ben gagged on a raisin Evey dropped on the floor yesterday and I spent the rest of the afternoon vacumming and mopping because I felt guilty that the floor wasn't spotless for him while he's crawling. I think it's just part of being a mom.
ReplyDeleteYes, it has happened to ALL of us! We can't avoid EVERYTHING without putting them in a bubble, and that would be boring! Kiss the owies, love on them and know something else is bound to happen eventually- even to the BEST parents!
ReplyDeleteoh yes!! #3 fell one time thanks to the dog and recieved a concussion! I felt like the worst mother ever!! I like what 'erin' said..'We can't avoid EVERYTHING without putting them in a bubble'...even though we want to so badly!
ReplyDeleteShe is such a cutie even with the bandages...It'll be okay. I wish I could give ya a hug!!
I remember when I took #3 to the doctors after his fall, the doctor kept asking if I was okay! lol..
XO
oh Love, what a joy your blog is! I once cut off the tip of #1 daughters FINGER with a nail clipper! eek. No matter how careful we are, things happen.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for visiting my blog and entering my blog GIVE AWAY!
xo Lidy
Those things definitely do happen to most if not all moms.
ReplyDeleteMy little ones always have bruises and scratches on their shins and I can't figure out where they came from. I don't think I neglect them.LOL! If they don't cry about it then I guess it's not that bad.
Your such a good mommy:)
Chelsea
OOOh! Ouch.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was little, I found a razor on the playground.I was told NOT to touch it, not to go near it, etc.
So, as soon as nobody was looking---I ran over, picked it up, played with it, and sliced up my hand. I still remember it! But you know, it was not my mom's fault! Moms try try try to protect us from everything, but little things happen.
Awww... poor little thing! But hey, she's OK. I experience mommy guilt about once a day! LOL! My kids are always getting into something they shouldn't be. Today I waited a bit too long to get dinner going and my youngest fell asleep on the couch before I could feed her. :( I tried to wake her up but she was too groggy to eat. So I put her to bed without dinner and felt like crap about it. But hey, she'll live, right? She'll probably wake up a 4 am screaming for food! LOL!
ReplyDeleteOh, the stories I could tell you... With six little ones, I could go on and on! The good news is that she won't remember!!
ReplyDeleteYou sound like a wonderful mom - Things like this happen to the best of us, you know! ;) It just sounds like you need some chocolate!
Speaking of, come check out who won my Starbucks and Coffee giveaway...
Ah, what the heck, YOU did!! Shoot me an email with your mailing info so I can get that out to you pronto!
Life as a mom...life as we know it...you celebrate the victories, tuck away the disappointments, and pray you can keep ten steps ahead of the guilt...all the while, sweet 'I wuv ooo mommy" & slurpy kisses pay you one hundred fold for all your effort!
ReplyDeleteHang in there..you really are doing a great job!
blessings,
kari & kijsa
Yep, we have our fair share of "oops's". I babysit a two year old, and we were playing a little rough, where he would run hard at me (like a linebacker or something), and I (sitting on the floor) would catch him and raise him up into the air and let him jump down (sort of). Well, one of those times he "jumped down" a little hard, and hurt his little foot! He was limping and fussy the rest of the day, even though he was wanting to run everywhere. I felt SOOOOO bad, but his mommy and I are friends, so there were no hard feelings.
ReplyDeleteI can remember when my son was a baby. I was a single mom, and he was about 2 months old. It was the middle of the night, and I had fallen asleep after nursing him...he was still in my bed. The next thing I knew, he was crying...from the FLOOR! I felt so bad!
Things happen...
Oh my gosh! The same thing just happened to my little angel! No peeps from her and lo and behold a gusher...and I found the culprit of the bleeding finger to be a pipe cleaner we used to fashion a mask for the older kids. "Poor third born baby" is our common phrase around here!!
ReplyDeleteAwww, what a sweet princess!!
ReplyDeleteNearly the same thing happened here the other day when I saw the baby walking around with a razor and little cuts all over himself, but he never made a peep! He'd climbed into the bathtub, grabbed it off the shelf, then climbed out and took it to play. Ack!
you know i feel you, girl. sometimes i find it nothing short of terrifying when i consider the myriad dangers i'm trying to shield my little ones from...my prayer tends to be, "God, i'll do my best, but please cover me from there."
ReplyDelete